Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Default $1 Cluster mod

hey, i had a brainstrom today and on my way home from work bought gift wrapping plastic (salafane?) in purple. then took out my cluster, then took it appart and peeled back the backing. then stuck three layers of this stuff over that white parts from behind and, it came out pretty good.
You can't really tell in the pic, cause of a cheap camera but. it comes out brighter than that, just look how bright the needle is in comparison to your own.

SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

NIce , i'll have pic of mine up soon with the bulbs ink colored too , seems to be bright with the needles too . Just hope the globes dont melt the selephane ;) , though i dont think they get that warm.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
SIKSIX
Its gone V

nah if you have pulled appart you cluster you will see that it is pretty safe (hopefully :gren: )

and the redline is standard hasn't been touched/affected. so you can imagine how bright it is...
Old 10-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

soo all that appears red from purple selafane??? i might try a few different ones to get the best result, is it really that good?? worth trying?

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

damn, now that's a cheap mod lol so hpw is everyone keeping the selafane stuck to the cluster? and anyone used blue?
:sm_headba
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cellophane!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #7
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Cellophane!

GK
cellphone hehehehe
Old 13-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #8
SIKSIX
Its gone V

it already has sticky stuff on the back of it so i just made each layer a tad bigger.

Worth trying.......I would say wait and let me see.
Old 13-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
it already has sticky stuff on the back of it so i just made each layer a tad bigger.

Worth trying.......I would say wait and let me see.
Good on ya mate, will do. Be interesting to see if there is any heat issues but thinking back to when I was a young fella, I remember a few teachers using CELLOPHANE on the Over Head Projectors.
Old 13-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Imo with the dash lights , they can only get sooooo hot/warm , probably half an hour max ( not even that probably ) and the dash lights would be running at their full temperature, if it's at least lasted an hour or so while driving around of a night without any peeling or lifting/melting , then i'de say it will be fine ;) . Nice cheap mod , wd

Old 13-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
soo all that appears red from purple selafane??? i might try a few different ones to get the best result, is it really that good?? worth trying?
Nah it comes out purple just the camera made it out to be redish...

So guys give me a couple of days due to upcoming exams and i will post more pics and info.
Old 13-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

wierd that , when i had like a purplish / ultra-violet background behind mine , my camera wouldn't capture the color right either , my purple/bluey color almost looked white in my photos when i had it like that , since then i have gone to blue 900mcd 5mm led's , i love it - soooooooooo deep midnight blue ..

Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Hey, i know its been a while but for anybody interested here is a good shot of how it looks just picture it a little bit less brighter than the pic.

Also as a few people have asked, no i havent had any trouble with it melting or dis-colouring.

Old 03-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool!
I used red paper for mine.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Crash Lander

Looks great! Does it make it any harder to read at night?
Green might be an interesting colour!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Lander
Looks great! Does it make it any harder to read at night?
Green might be an interesting colour!

Bwah , green is a holden dash light colour ! ...lol

Old 04-09-2006, 07:38 AM   #17
Crash Lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Whoops! Didn't know that! :LOL:
Old 04-09-2006, 08:14 AM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Lander
Whoops! Didn't know that! :LOL:

hehehe , doesn't really mater though , do them what ever colour you like , anything has gotta be better looking than the dull original yellowish colour of the stock globes.

Old 04-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
BA XT have green
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #20
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
BA XT have green
Oh ..ok, np , although around the time/year models of our AU's , the holdens getting around then had green light (started out as a holden dash colour anyway ;) ) . As i said anyway , what ever tickles ya fancy , anything looks better than the stock globe colour ;) .. cheers .

The cellophane seems to work well to by the looks of it too , wd .

Old 07-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #21
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

its only taken someone how long now to post that up? i did that like 3 aus ago!! on my first one LOL

It is cheap and crappy!! go the bulb paint!!!
The plastic fades and cracks in time :S

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #22
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
its only taken someone how long now to post that up? i did that like 3 aus ago!! on my first one LOL

It is cheap and crappy!! go the bulb paint!!!
The plastic fades and cracks in time :S
I gotta admit , where the celophane has been used , it seems like it would be much easier to allocate different colours / for the redline (red) and normal tacho lines ( what ever colour you want ) . It seems to have that bit added advantage over the led's or painted globes in that manner !. The needles still seem to glow nicelly too.

But if you recon the plastic cracks and fades in time , then it must be due to a heat factor from the normal globes.

Looking at these concepts it has given me an idea that maybe combining the 2 , using white leds ( so its all nice and cool / it should prevent any cracking or fading in the future / + they are brighter ) and use celophane for the colours.

I might have to give this a go . I currentlly have blue led's , looks great and all , but it would be nice to have the redline area red , and the needles glow at night np . I also want the tickford logo in the speedo part glowing red too.

cheers.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #23
T2TL50

Quote:
I gotta admit , where the celophane has been used , it seems like it would be much easier to allocate different colours / for the redline (red) and normal tacho lines ( what ever colour you want ) . It seems to have that bit added advantage over the led's or painted globes in that manner !. The needles still seem to glow nicelly too.

But if you recon the plastic cracks and fades in time , then it must be due to a heat factor from the normal globes.

Looking at these concepts it has given me an idea that maybe combining the 2 , using white leds ( so its all nice and cool / it should prevent any cracking or fading in the future / + they are brighter ) and use celophane for the colours.

I might have to give this a go . I currentlly have blue led's , looks great and all , but it would be nice to have the redline area red , and the needles glow at night np . I also want the tickford logo in the speedo part glowing red too.

cheers.

U will have to get back to me on that!!! tho i like my blue and red dash in the tl

i just want brighter lights.. u think the leds would do that?

Old 10-09-2006, 03:53 PM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

i was reading on Fordmod's that to get your needles glowing at night, cause the read and blue dont work to well together,,

to get your needles, lightly scrape off the red backing, so they are clear, and then put white at the back of the needles. worth a try?
Old 10-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #25
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
i was reading on Fordmod's that to get your needles glowing at night, cause the read and blue dont work to well together,,

to get your needles, lightly scrape off the red backing, so they are clear, and then put white at the back of the needles. worth a try?
Thats what i was originally going to try , but i was informed that the needles ( in the xr anyway ) are solid red needles , apparentlly it's not just a red coating on them.

I was going to use glow in the dark paint on the needles , but it would look cheap , and the red glow in the dark paint looks sorta pink in daylight / yuk .

Im really thinking that i might try combine these 2 mods , by removing my blue led's in the dash , and replacing them with high rated brightness white leds / diffused . Then use just some blue cellophane behind the dash in the areas i want it blue. The led's get no-where near as hot (you can put an led on your lip etc while its running , not hot at all ) / so this should stop the apparent problem of the cellophane cracking over time due to the heat from the original globes .

Imo I think it would look much better , at least then the end of each guage would still have its red area / by default , and the lines on the speedo and tacho are all that would have to have a blue layer of cellophane behind them .
Then the needles would still glow nicelly again too , they would probably glow brighter than original globes with white leds behind the dash ! .

I'll give it a go soon , too crook as a dog at the moment with a flu/cold :( .

Old 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #26
T2TL50

Yeah this is true for the series 2 they are solid red needles.. as for the tickford clusters the back of the actual face plate is printed with the colors on them.. so the cellophane would not work.. would make it go odd colors.. but then again it is a good thing for the non tickford cluster ppl looks better hen stock

Ill have to see this i have a spare series 2 one in the garage might give it a go on that one

cheers

Old 10-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #27
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah i have the series 2 xr cluster ( blue face , not the white face tickford 1 ), looks like it should work np on it .

Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #28
HLC
Audi S3

has anyone used tissue paper? i havnt pulled apart my cluster to see how close the paper would be to the globes?
Old 10-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #29
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Thats what i was originally going to try , but i was informed that the needles ( in the xr anyway ) are solid red needles , apparentlly it's not just a red coating on them.

I was going to use glow in the dark paint on the needles , but it would look cheap , and the red glow in the dark paint looks sorta pink in daylight / yuk .

Im really thinking that i might try combine these 2 mods , by removing my blue led's in the dash , and replacing them with high rated brightness white leds / diffused . Then use just some blue cellophane behind the dash in the areas i want it blue. The led's get no-where near as hot (you can put an led on your lip etc while its running , not hot at all ) / so this should stop the apparent problem of the cellophane cracking over time due to the heat from the original globes .

Imo I think it would look much better , at least then the end of each guage would still have its red area / by default , and the lines on the speedo and tacho are all that would have to have a blue layer of cellophane behind them .
Then the needles would still glow nicelly again too , they would probably glow brighter than original globes with white leds behind the dash ! .

I'll give it a go soon , too crook as a dog at the moment with a flu/cold :( .

thats the beauty of LED's. i wanna get the pre-fab/made ones from autobarn but at $10 a pop no thanks. unless they screw up and i get a whole box for $10 :

but yeah, i might have to go get some cellophane and start hacking it up. ive got some ideas already :