Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-03-2005, 09:30 AM   #61
Chris
AFF.com.au

Loctite???? You serious????

Unless you want to experience a "surprise left or right lock" at speed, go for the recall.

Ford spend a lot of money designing these vehicles for our safety, if there is a recall, it is a recall for a reason, so book the car in immediately.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 10:59 PM   #62
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I called the number on my 2nd letter and i was told that a safety recall if the problem hasn't been fixed remains till it is fixed. I'm now wandering why this is the final notice. I will be calling them on tuesday and asking why. I havn't had mine done as the car is still out of action but as we speak the gearbox is being fixed. I'll keep everyone posted after i call Ford on tuesday.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2005, 11:40 PM   #63
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_T
AUGZMK, since you saw a pic of the stud, can you describe it to me? I assume it's not a uniform diameter throughout it's length - does it have a flange in the middle or is it stepped diameter etc.? Are both sides' studs the same?
Thanks.

Steve.
Steve, I did not see a pic of the stud by itself. Just a diagram of basically the pic I've posted above of how the rack is bolted to the K frame.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #64
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Had both mine done. It's free, why wouldn't you get it done?
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #65
Steve_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGZMK
Steve, I did not see a pic of the stud by itself. Just a diagram of basically the pic I've posted above of how the rack is bolted to the K frame.
No worries mate.

If anyone has had the rack off or seen the actual stud maybe they can clarify or correct me, but the one thing that worries me is as I mentioned before...

With the weld being towards the end of the stud thread, it cannot come out completely but it can still come out at least several mm's if it loosens up before the weld stops it coming out further. If the stud is uniform diameter over it's whole length, then when it loosens a few mm's the rack bracket/boss can move loosely on it thus there is no more tension on the nut holding the rack on so what stops the nut falling off the stud and therefore the rack falling off?

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 01:13 AM   #66
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
With the weld being towards the end of the stud thread, it cannot come out completely but it can still come out at least several mm's if it loosens up before the weld stops it coming out further. If the stud is uniform diameter over it's whole length, then when it loosens a few mm's the rack bracket/boss can move loosely on it thus there is no more tension on the nut holding the rack on so what stops the nut falling off the stud and therefore the rack falling off?

Steve.
Steve, from what I saw, the weld will not allow the stud to work it's way loose. Wish I had the camera with me when I was shown the AU3 on the hoist, would be much easier to explain.

Anyone with a late AUII or AUIII, or better yet, someone who's had the weld done, could you please post a pic of it please? *looks at JC* LOL..

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 28-03-2005, 10:35 PM   #67
Steve_T

That's alright mate - I might see when I can next get my car over the pit at work - maybe next weekend. I'll have another look at mine and maybe get a pic or two. We'll have a look and I might even undo it for a look and go from there.
Old 29-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #68
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I called Ford today and was told that if a Ford dealer donsn't fix the problem then it want be removed from the computer and u'll keep getting letters to fix it. I'll get mine fixed when it's going again atleast it's free
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #69
Ay-You-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Yes. Mine's second-hand and it's being done. I assume they track you down by the VIN # because they found me - I never went to them about it. And I've changed plates too and they still found me.

Also, I have a recall sticker on my car with #SRCC215 on it and never knew what it was for (as it was done before I bought the car) so I rang Ford today and found out it was for a recall on the throttle cable. It was to change the rubber grommet. So for anyone that didn't know - there ya go
Thanks Fairmont Krissy, where did you find the sticker? Thanks
Ay-You-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #70
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ay-You-Steve
Thanks Fairmont Krissy, where did you find the sticker? Thanks
Inside the driver's door. Around where the hinges are. And it sticks out like a sore thumb now but I'd never even noticed it before lol.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #71
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What was the issue with the throttle cable? Should my car 99 Futura have been fixed up as well? I'v only got the sticker from the steering rack job. Should I have 2 stickers, or would Ford have taken care of the cable if it needed doing?

Cheers,

George
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2005, 02:23 AM   #72
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Futura Wagon
What was the issue with the throttle cable? Should my car 99 Futura have been fixed up as well? I'v only got the sticker from the steering rack job. Should I have 2 stickers, or would Ford have taken care of the cable if it needed doing?

Cheers,

George
George

I was talking to a guy from Ford today (about a different matter) but I asked him again about this particular recall, to explain it to me again. He said that this rubber grommet on the acc cable had a fault where it would break under very very hard acceleration but wasn't something commonly seen on passenger vehicles - mainly on police issue vehicles.

He said though that it wasn't limited to police car's only and that it was a national recall although that's where most of the work was done and they rarely found this to be an issue in the standard pass car.

I think I wrote that right lol :
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 31-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #73
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
George

I was talking to a guy from Ford today (about a different matter) but I asked him again about this particular recall, to explain it to me again. He said that this rubber grommet on the acc cable had a fault where it would break under very very hard acceleration but wasn't something commonly seen on passenger vehicles - mainly on police issue vehicles.

He said though that it wasn't limited to police car's only and that it was a national recall although that's where most of the work was done and they rarely found this to be an issue in the standard pass car.

I think I wrote that right lol :
Ok, thanks for the info Krissy.

How did you go with the wheel alignment issues. Was it alignment problems or the front right brake caliper as someone else suggested? Did you bother with it yet or is the cam and chip issue dominating your thoughts and wallet of late?

Cheers,

George
Old 01-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #74
Bangers

Quote:
How did the job they did go? Did you have any hassles with it? Were you peeved that they just did it without asking?

George
Wasn't something I had much choice in. They didnt even tell me when I picked it up, I noticed it on the invoice.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #75
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers
Wasn't something I had much choice in. They didnt even tell me when I picked it up, I noticed it on the invoice.
I hate things like that. Had something similar one service. I asked them to ring me if anything needed doing, apart from normal, the reply. "We just fit it if it's low cost!"

I was annoyed. Who's car is it anyway I thought. My reply, no I'm not happy with that you'll need to call me. Hard to find good service I guess.

Last edited by GK; 01-04-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:07 PM   #76
bscampbell

What was the problem?
I have a BA Futura Wagon and the steering has developed a knock when the steering wheel is turned 1/4 to 1/2 way under normal driving conditions, but is a lot worse if I turn the wheel while the car is stationary.
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 07:19 PM   #77
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscampbell
What was the problem?
I have a BA Futura Wagon and the steering has developed a knock when the steering wheel is turned 1/4 to 1/2 way under normal driving conditions, but is a lot worse if I turn the wheel while the car is stationary.
read the thread!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 08:56 PM   #78
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscampbell
What was the problem?
My problem isn't in the suspension, pretty much certain on that one. Had the steering rack replaced so it's not that. I think it's in the brakes. Had second hand calipers fitted, same problem! Not new pads though. I reckon there's some slop in them. Maybe machining and pads will sort it out. I'll keep you posted. I will know tomorrow.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:15 PM   #79
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well got my recall done today......it was painless....in and out in 15 minutes. I dont see how it could cause any problems...

James
Old 07-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #80
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
well got my recall done today......it was painless....in and out in 15 minutes. I dont see how it could cause any problems...

James
15 minutes? That's quick! Westpoint Ford told me I would need to drop it off at 8.30am and it'd be ready for pick-up at 4pm - I said "rubbish" lol. It's now booked in for 1pm
Old 07-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #81
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i went to dominelli ford sutherland at 11 , i was gone driving away by 11.15....i watched the guy do it...

James
Old 08-04-2005, 02:48 PM   #82
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
My problem isn't in the suspension, pretty much certain on that one. Had the steering rack replaced so it's not that. I think it's in the brakes. Had second hand calipers fitted, same problem! Not new pads though. I reckon there's some slop in them. Maybe machining and pads will sort it out. I'll keep you posted. I will know tomorrow.
Sorry to quote myself but I remembered I'd post an update!

Car makes almost no noise. I think it was indeed the brakes! If it works its way back, I'll know it's the pads and just will have to live with it!

Cheers
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #83
LOWAU

I just got the recall done last Tuesday, and now my steering feels a lot stiffer.

I'm guessing they tightened the bolt then welded it.(makes you wonder how loose it must have been)

Has anyone else felt a difference in their steering after the recall?
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #84
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mines no different at all....there is no real reason for it to be stiffer because of the recall...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #85
hambo_12

I have probably already posted this, but anyway.

I went into ford to get them to put my steering wheel on, and they did the recall as well. Nothing different, if they didnt tell me I wouldnt have noticed...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2005, 02:08 AM   #86
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Ok, found a pic of the recall done. Found pic on Headsex (Dannys) website. Hope you don't mind Danny.

Click to enlarge.

This pic' is of the passenger side bolt as opposed to the pic' of the drivers side bolt I have posted in post #53 above.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 19-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #87
Steve_T

Interesting that mine was a factory-done one at it's only done on the driver's side, no weld on the passenger side (?). Anyway...

Steve.
Old 20-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #88
Black S

I've had mine done. I spoke to a Tech about the recall.
And what it is, is that all they do is weld the bolts on. Becasue they had issues with people removing these bolts, as they don't tend to go back in properly. Hence the problem with the nuts loosening.
I actually had to take my car back to get it redone. Becasue when i got my car back, the steering was stiff and wasn't spinning back to centre. But is all fixed now.

Will
Black S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #89
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting that mine was a factory-done one at it's only done on the driver's side, no weld on the passenger side (?). Anyway...

Steve.

is yours a late S2 or S3 steve?

James
Old 23-04-2005, 02:25 AM   #90
Steve_T

March '02 built Series 3 mate.

Steve.