Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #91
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Hi Guys,

Mine is built 7/2001 sounds like mine is included. Yes i have noticed a weld on the drivers side of the steering rack. I was alittle worried about this but seems thats the fix. Anyone recommend a good dealer in Melb??
Old 15-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #92
OldManGhia

Bought my S1 (02/00) wagon in Oct 03. When I test drove the vehicle there was some noise from the steering when turning the steering wheel. The idler pulley was also noisy. The work was supposed to have been done before we took delivery, but wasn't. Booked the car in for these jobs to be done and they had re-tensioned the rack and replaced the pulley.

When the recall was issued I was concerned because the rack had been re-tensioned and had the recall done asap. There have een no problems since. I haven't looked to see what was done but will at the next opportunity.

Steve
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #93
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Ford a couple of recalls of Ford Falcons (AUs mind you)
http://www.recalls.gov.au/search_rec...Submit2=Submit
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 05:30 PM   #94
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Problem: Steering rack mounting stud may loosen
Make: Ford
Model: AU Series 1 & 2,Falcon Forte,Futura,Fairmont,Fairmont Ghia,Fairlane,LTD,FTE,Ute
Variant:
Date Range: 1 June 1998 to 22 May 2001
VIN Ranges:
Defect: Possibility that inappropriate servicing of steering rack retaining hardware may affect the integrity of the steering rack mounting stud. Overtightening of the steering rack mounting hardware may degrade the thread locking compound on the stud.
Consequences: This condition may allow the stud to loosen. In extreme cases the stud may detatch from the crossmember.
Corrective action: Ford dealers will apply a weld to the end of the stud to stop it coming out if loosened.
Notif. Date: 17/06/2004
DOTARS No.: R04/075
Supplier Name: FORD
Campaign No.: SRCC300
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2005, 05:54 PM   #95
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I got mine done yesterday. No problems. Steering feels fine.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #96
holdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
DO NOT TAKE IT TO FORD!!!!!

Get your mechanic to do the job!!!Put loctite on and leave the thing.

I had mine done ..they weld the bolt to the thread. Yes they did that and I got home to find power steering fluid everywhere.When I took it back they denied everything.."sir it must have been leaking from before"" . In the same breath I got quoted by them for another rack!!! The rack which they wrecked was only 7 months old!!

Also to remove the rack now with the recall the crossmember must be removed.

I dont want to label ford at all.But that was a bad experience.!! Finally its up to you what you choose.

If they were to to do a proffessional job they should remove the rack ,cross drill the thread and put on a castle nut with a split pin.But I do believe it is the easiest way out!!

My thoughts are take it to a proffessional mechanic not ford and get a proper solution to the problem. Dab of solder indeed!!!
You have no idea do you, there is no way that the ford dealer could of caused the power steer leak. All they do is weld the studs on the front side of the crossmember, so you can still replace your steering rack without any dramas. There is no reason to replace your crossmember unless your stud has come out, which should of been fixed with the recall (SRCC300)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #97
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdon
You have no idea do you, there is no way that the ford dealer could of caused the power steer leak. All they do is weld the studs on the front side of the crossmember, so you can still replace your steering rack without any dramas. There is no reason to replace your crossmember unless your stud has come out, which should of been fixed with the recall (SRCC300)
holdon; Useless is not talking about replacing the crossmember only removing it in order to replace the steering rack. Which once the dodgy half arsed recall is performed is the route to follow. It is pathetic and I completely agree with Useless, do not get this done at a Ford dealer unless you want hundreds of labour costs added to your bill if and when you have to replace/remove your steering rack.

holdon perhaps you could read a post completely before flaming a member that has been here and contributed a heck of a lot more to this forum than you have in your five (5) posts!
Constructive critiscism is widely and easily accepted whereas being a fr*gging know it all straight off the bat isnt taken at all. /rant
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #98
Davo3460

boys all they do is put a tack on the end of the bolts to stop them from comeing out all u have 2 do is grind off the tack if u want 2 replace your rack and use new bolts it,s simple
Davo3460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #99
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

power steering fluid on the rack? They don't touch your power steering pump to do the recall. They put it on the hoist and spot weld 1 bolt thread. Sometimes they spot weld both bolts.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #100
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

There is alot of mis-imformation here.. Yes they put a tac on the thread of the rack STUDS, to stop them working loose. To replace the rack you undo the nuts on the rack side and slid it off.. THe studs can stay there

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #101
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The Bolt was removable in the OLD ones. The job to be done is a quick weld. Thomson Ford has done MANY of them and I don't recall seeing any bad ones? You should have it fixed as it is a structural thing. Wouldn't like the Rack to come loose now would you?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #102
holdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
holdon; Useless is not talking about replacing the crossmember only removing it in order to replace the steering rack. Which once the dodgy half arsed recall is performed is the route to follow. It is pathetic and I completely agree with Useless, do not get this done at a Ford dealer unless you want hundreds of labour costs added to your bill if and when you have to replace/remove your steering rack.

holdon perhaps you could read a post completely before flaming a member that has been here and contributed a heck of a lot more to this forum than you have in your five (5) posts!
Constructive critiscism is widely and easily accepted whereas being a fr*gging know it all straight off the bat isnt taken at all. /rant
Ther is NO need to remove the crossmember to replace the rack before or after recall SRCC300. Yes a know it all, well i seem to know more than you two guys.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #103
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdon
Ther is NO need to remove the crossmember to replace the rack before or after recall SRCC300. Yes a know it all, well i seem to know more than you two guys.
I see you know a bit about Fords but your attitude is a prime example of why I would never let the hacks at the vast majority of Ford dealership service centres ever touch my car again. I dont need to be talked down to by some arrogant grease monkey, I need someone who understands that I have a passion for my car, treat it better then many people treat themselves and is able to explain and reassure, not treat me like a doofus.
You are may know about cars but you certainly dont know about the people that own them.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #104
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

eeewwwww :( - this is gettin ugly ,
HOLDON ...seriouslly though - alot of people / nearlly everyone / including myself are/is still learning new things about cars all the time , they are changing all the time , no matter how much you know there will allways be someone who knows more , and it doesn't help to ram facts down peoples thoats as if everyone is stupid ! - people in this forum are here to learn and share knowledge in a positive way - not to be literally named " dipsh|t" for asking questions or maybe even been a bit off track.. c'mon now dude - your only 7 post into this forum , im new here too but don't just diss people like that plz ..ty .. end of my comments - i dont want arguements plz ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:34 PM   #105
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i noticed today after having my xr8 on the hoist to fix the engine mounts, that my rack has had the recal done on it. (always wondered what the sticker near the door hinge was for ) anyway, all it has done, like most have said was a dab of weld on both bolts. it had no effect on the mechanic removing my rack today, so i guess from a safety point i would get it done. i guess if it only takes a few minutes to do, then tell the ford dealler you will wait for car and watch them do it. just as a piece of mind thing i guess. but i really cant see how dabbing 2 bits of weld on the bolts will cauz any other damage.

just my 2 c worth.
2010 FPV F6 Ute
2016 FGX XR6 Sprint
2020 PX3 Ranger Wildtrak
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #106
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

From applying a dab of weld you can damage the battery and electrical goodies if not disconnected before welding (earthing the overwhelming welding amps into the battery etc etc), heat from the weld traveling through the steel could melt seals etc etc , but i couldn't see a 'dab' of weld in that position causing that much heat that its gonna travel to extreme lenghts and melt seals unless u put a 'slug/snail' size weld on the thread or whatever.. i undecided - about all the advice i can offer on that 1

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #107
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Had mine done last week, same thing 2 welds... almost unnoticeable. i had to look closely
Old 31-03-2006, 05:17 PM   #108
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

mine was done in june 04 confirmed by ford but i havnt a sticker :(
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #109
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Re: AU steering rack recall, who's done it?

An old thread i know but................I had mine done years ago but now the bolt where the crossmember goes in is stripped and the weld broken. Had the car at Pedders yesterday looking at it. Back to Ford we go and there is no way i am paying for it. I called them and they are looking at it on Thursday. They didn't know what to do. Has anyone had this problem?
Old 14-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #110
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Sleeperau, from memory I had one of my bolts break. I just replaced it with a regular high-tensile bolt from a fasteners place. That was 4 years ago, no problems since.
Old 14-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #111
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Thanks for that, I have not got under and had a look yet but apparently where it goes into the crossmember is stripped out . I can't get Ford to look at it untill Tuesday due to work. I used to work across the road from them but now Ii am 30 minutes away. I believe it is their problem as they did the recall. It needs some bushes and other gear as well so one less fix for me is good.
Old 30-01-2016, 10:19 PM   #112
tur
Starter Motor

My stud where it goes into the crossmember is either strioped or broken thr loctite so thr bolt has come forward and the weld at back is now butted uo against the crossmember how to fix ???
tur is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #113
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know old thread, but does anyone know how they fixed it with the B series. As we know same alloy c/member.
tkfd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post