Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Default Wanted: Tickford Premium Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets !!!

G'day

I had this piece posted at 'Tickford Vehicles' and PM'd a couple of members who have had these parts available for sale within the last twelve months, but no responses. Anyway...

So today I phoned FTG Auto Salvage and was informed that I can buy brand new Tickford Premium Brake Calipers from Ford Australia which come with the Adapter Brackets already fitted up to the Calipers. A 'complete assembly' so to speak. But they cost a fortune !!!

I own an AUII XR6 (build date: 06/2001), therefore it is a late build AUII where the front brake calipers are mounted on the leading edge of the front uprights.

I have sourced the Tickford Premium Calipers & Genuine Eliptical Gooved Rotors, but obtaining these brackets is a wicked pain in the **** !!!

During the last few days I have read heaps and heaps about these brackets on the FordForums, but I remain uncomfortable with my understanding of the Tickford Premium Brake Option on late build AUII XRs.

So please feel free to set me straight.

Is anyone able to source these brackets ?

Cheers

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wanted: Tickford Premium Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets !!!

Have you physically checked the position of the caliper mounts to confirm you definitely need the adapters?

I fitted mine on the leading edge of the disc with no additional adapter.

Assumed I needed the adapters but when I took the wheel, original caliper and original disc off and trial-fitted the Premium caliper and 330mm disc it all lined up perfectly.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
AlfaRomeoGTV6

G'day macman

I haven't done a test fitment as I have not yet purchased the calipers I have sourced. Then I read some old posts where I learned about the existence of the brackets. So given what I read about the rarity of the brackets, it has put me off buying the calipers until I knew I could source all the parts required to retro fit the optional Tickford Premium brake package to my AUII.

I wondered how you fitted your calipers to your car as I read you old posts where you were looking for the brackets. Next thing I know, you had them on !!!

Looks like I just better buy the calipers and hope it all works out fine.

Cheers mate

Last edited by AlfaRomeoGTV6; 25-11-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old 25-11-2011, 02:40 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had the tickford premium brakes on my late-ish AU2 XR8 (220), and it had the adapter brackets.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am aware of an AU1 owner here in the ACT who bought the tickford brake upgrade for his XR6. He got the brackets with his brakes. Has not tried fitting them yet. My understanding is that they don't need the brackets on the AU1's, they just bolt on. Can any one confirm?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are after the full premuim package, I have a set sitting in the shed. They came off my T3 TS after I did the Brembo upgrade. They are the rede calipers with the Tickford wings. I should check them out and see what brackets I have.
PM me if you are interested. I maybe able to help.
Cheers.
John
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 01:39 AM   #7
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's really difficult to say if you'll need the brackets or not, but to explain what happened in my situation. I hope it helps in some way...?

As far as I know, AU1 and AU2 uprights are different and there are two different uprights for AU3. Whether you need adapter brackets to fit the Premium brake calipers depends on what uprights you car has.

My AU2 TE50 never had Premium brakes (it was an option on T2 TE50, only standard on TS50 and TL50 in the AU2 T-series range). My car had standard AU2 brake setup.

I purchased the calipers off ebay (brand new) before researching and read nothing but "you need adapter brackets." I tried everywhere to find the brackets and the only lead I had was to have some made, using a borrowed bracket as a pattern. The calipers and discs sat in the box under the bed for months.

One weekend I had the front wheel off (to replace a front wheel bearing). Once the new bearing and hub was on, I decided to "test fit" a 330mm disc to see how it looks and see how far off the caliper fitment was. Once the disc was on, I couldn't see how the Premium caliper wouldn't fit, so tried it. Everything lined up, no brackets, no stuffing around.

They are however fitted on the leading edge of the disc (as opposed to the factory fit being on the trailing edge of the disc).

I can't give you a definite idea of whether you need brackets or not - you may... HOWEVER the only way I knew I didn't need the brackets was to just bolt it all up and see.

Glad I didn't just go on what I read otherwise I'd have spent a good few hundred dollars on brackets I didn't need.

Don't want to give you false hope but my AU is a late AU2 also (May 2001).

Last edited by macman; 27-11-2011 at 01:45 AM.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
If you are after the full premuim package, I have a set sitting in the shed. They came off my T3 TS after I did the Brembo upgrade. They are the rede calipers with the Tickford wings. I should check them out and see what brackets I have.
PM me if you are interested. I maybe able to help.
Cheers.
John

G'day John

Thank you for your reply. I am going to do a test fit first as 'macman' has suggested. If I have no success I shall PM you immediately about purchasing your Tickford Premium brake package.

Cheers mate

Ron

Old 27-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
AlfaRomeoGTV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
It's really difficult to say if you'll need the brackets or not, but to explain what happened in my situation. I hope it helps in some way...?

As far as I know, AU1 and AU2 uprights are different and there are two different uprights for AU3. Whether you need adapter brackets to fit the Premium brake calipers depends on what uprights you car has.

My AU2 TE50 never had Premium brakes (it was an option on T2 TE50, only standard on TS50 and TL50 in the AU2 T-series range). My car had standard AU2 brake setup.

I purchased the calipers off ebay (brand new) before researching and read nothing but "you need adapter brackets." I tried everywhere to find the brackets and the only lead I had was to have some made, using a borrowed bracket as a pattern. The calipers and discs sat in the box under the bed for months.

One weekend I had the front wheel off (to replace a front wheel bearing). Once the new bearing and hub was on, I decided to "test fit" a 330mm disc to see how it looks and see how far off the caliper fitment was. Once the disc was on, I couldn't see how the Premium caliper wouldn't fit, so tried it. Everything lined up, no brackets, no stuffing around.

They are however fitted on the leading edge of the disc (as opposed to the factory fit being on the trailing edge of the disc).

I can't give you a definite idea of whether you need brackets or not - you may... HOWEVER the only way I knew I didn't need the brackets was to just bolt it all up and see.

Glad I didn't just go on what I read otherwise I'd have spent a good few hundred dollars on brackets I didn't need.

Don't want to give you false hope but my AU is a late AU2 also (May 2001).

G'day macman

Thank you for your reply. I shall do the test fit as per your advice.

Should that fail I'll go ape **** !!!

Then when I am over going ape I'll PM 'JC'.

I should also note again that I contacted FTG Auto Salvage and my local Ford Dealership (Rex Gorell Ford, Geelong) and found that the 'adapter brackets' are NLA individually. The only way you can buy brand new 'adapter brackets' from Ford Australia is to buy brand new Tickford Premium Calipers which are supplied with the 'adapter brackets' already fitted.

Cheers mate

Ron

Last edited by AlfaRomeoGTV6; 27-11-2011 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
Old 24-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Rcstanley

does anyone have theae brackets or calipers and rotors for sale
really trying.hard.to find them cheers
Rcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Chilli8
Starter Motor

Hi, I have a set of T3 TS50 Tickford brakes (Discs, Calipers and Brackets which I would consider selling. PM your contact details if you are interested.
Chilli8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #12
Rcstanley

pm sent
Rcstanley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post