Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
uncertainbrien
Starter Motor

Default which OBD2 unit to buy

Hi,

I would appreciate any help with this. I have two au3 gas powered cars. One is a station wagon and one ute. I also have a petrol au1.

The ute has become very difficult to start. We are at the stage where we need to check the car computer diagnostics.

There are a number of OBD2 units on ebay. Can anyone recommend one to buy for a novice like myself?

Many thanks,

Ian
uncertainbrien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Ken_AUXR8

Default Re: which OBD2 unit to buy

I bought this one a couple of years ago now, though not sure if the same seller:

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2017-V1-5-...kAAOSwTM5Y5Nxp

I have used it with three different Android phones and have not had any trouble pairing it. Worked on my AU1, Wq Fiesta, but not my FGII. Its a bit too big physically but I'm not complaining as it worked first shot.

Best thing I've bought actually. Combine it with FORScan and it's a very useful tool for the price.
Helped me diagnose a stuffed coil very easily.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
Ken_AUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
uncertainbrien
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=Ken_AUXR8;6057271]I bought this one a couple of years ago now, though not sure if the same seller:

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2017-V1-5-...kAAOSwTM5Y5Nxp

I have used it with three different Android phones and have not had any trouble pairing it. Worked on my AU1, Wq Fiesta, but not my FGII. Its a bit too big physically but I'm not complaining as it worked first shot.

Best thing I've bought actually. Combine it with FORScan and it's a very useful tool for the price.
Helped me diagnose a stuffed coil very easily.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the help. Do I need any other plugs or adapters? I have the android phone and have ordered the unit.

Ian
Old 29-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #4
Ken_AUXR8

Nope, nothing else needed.
Mine came with instructions. Basically you pull off the fuse panel beside the steering column, plug it in, turn ignition to on and stair the pairing procedure.

Once posted with Bluetooth the Forscan app should connect and download your vehicle info and error codes etc.

The demo version will work fine for testing and will get you your codes. But the full version is worth it as you can monitor live heaps of parameters.

Cheers
Ken

This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
uncertainbrien
Starter Motor

Hey Ken (or anyone else),

I've bought the unit and can connect to it via bluetooth. However, it can't connect to the cars ECU.

Just confirming that the au3 built november 2001 is compliant with obd2 as i've read conflicting reports on the internet.

I've used both the forscan app and torque

Appreciate any input people can give.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_AUXR8 View Post
Nope, nothing else needed.
Mine came with instructions. Basically you pull off the fuse panel beside the steering column, plug it in, turn ignition to on and stair the pairing procedure.

Once posted with Bluetooth the Forscan app should connect and download your vehicle info and error codes etc.

The demo version will work fine for testing and will get you your codes. But the full version is worth it as you can monitor live heaps of parameters.

Cheers
Ken

Old 11-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Ken_AUXR8

Mine is a Series 1.

I had to follow the instructions to the letter in the first instance as i do recall having some initial issues on getting it working. But essentially once it was paired to my phone ok, i tap the little connect button (looks like a power plug) at the top of the screen and it connects.

Here's what i normally do
1. Plug unit into odb port
2. Turn ignition to on, but no need to start vehicle
3. Open forscan app and hit connect, making sure bluetooth is enabled beforehand of course.
4. Watch pretty lights on the front of the dongle flash many times. Eventually (10-15 secs) it comes up and asks me what variant Au body it is eg ute, sedan.

Then i am able to access menus and options ok.
As mentioned I've used it with three different android phones, so maybe try another device.

As per my previous post it works on my Au and Fiesta but not my FGII. Some folks appear to have it running fine with FGs so i don't know why sometimes they work and sometimes not on different models.

I'd say try different phones. Maybe contact the eBay seller for support too, or someone in here with an Au series 3 might have some ideas.

I'll try and find the instructions to mine and post them if you have no success. Might be the same instructions you received though.

2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
uncertainbrien
Starter Motor

Hi,

I contacted the seller and they were very helpful but not always clear. They
provided this from icarsoft but neglected to mention if it worked with the unit i purchased. In stead they suggested i buy the more expensive model. See copy of email below.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Hi Ian,

For the xls file top column, it's the function modules that the FD II can support on the target Ford Vehicle, like ABS, Engine, 4X4 part, please check the list to see if the function that you wish to scan on your car .

We got the FD II in stock, the price is $235, as followed link in our store:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/iCarsoft-...-/162765164121

If you wish, you can upgrade to the FD II with just paying the price difference

Sincerely,
Amy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (125.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 17-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
Hey Jimi

If you go to ebay and type in Ob2 forscan you'll see the ford modified ones. I bought one from seller sosv5 and it works unlike the first one About $14 I got the usb model for the laptop. Hope this helps
Hey Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
uncertainbrien
Starter Motor

hi everyone. thanks for the input. I got it sorted
thanks again
Old 22-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #10
MrGPz
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Jimi View Post
If you go to ebay and type in Ob2 forscan you'll see the ford modified ones. I bought one from seller sosv5 and it works unlike the first one About $14 I got the usb model for the laptop. Hope this helps

I bought mine of sosov5..
It arrived yesterday and it works great on Win10 64bit Pro laptop
took 1/2 hour from opening the parcel to clearing the alarm queue in Forscan.
Had to google what the switch was for, but soon found out.

Cheers

Glenn
MrGPz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post