Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Default Sync 2 upgrade to Sync 3

Hi All,
Has anyone looked into replacing their sync 2 system with a sync 3 to get access to its much faster OS and carplay features?
Ive seen them selling in the U.S
https://www.infotainment.com/product...sync-3-upgrade

Wondering if anyone local does supply and install.
thanks
Geeseman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Sync 2 upgrade to Sync 3

Saw these and was hopeful but havent seen anyone able to get this working locally...

I'm hopeful on the Everest but not on the Falcon as its more of an orphan in the Ford world...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Was told that the Falcon most closely resembles the Ford Fusion Sync 2 model electrically. Seen some photos online and the modules appear very close in appearance. A very expensive gamble though at 3500 usd for a conversion kit and no guarantee it will work
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

People are working on it.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

sync3 is faster, but that's just about all it's got going for it. The screen configuration is awful, the voice activation is woeful, and the usb connectivity is dire. If you aren't happy with sync2 then I'd suggest go 100% aftermarket
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

I'd just kill for Android Auto in the G6ET.

The FGX should never have come with Sync 2. it was already outdated when it was released.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
Geeseman
Double Reppuken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
sync3 is faster, but that's just about all it's got going for it. The screen configuration is awful, the voice activation is woeful, and the usb connectivity is dire. If you aren't happy with sync2 then I'd suggest go 100% aftermarket
Any suggestions on aftermarket?
Geeseman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2017, 02:27 AM   #8
YTRY4
Starter Motor

Comparing a few different sync3 models with the fgx rear, I'd say it would potentially work with some small changes. I hope someone does this soonish.

In SA there are already people who have done FGX dash' into FG mk1 and mk2. I'll be buying an FG mk1 or mk2 soon and hope to do a dash conversion but again a sync3 upgrade too would be ideal as carplay is great.
YTRY4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTRY4 View Post
Comparing a few different sync3 models with the fgx rear, I'd say it would potentially work with some small changes. I hope someone does this soonish.

In SA there are already people who have done FGX dash' into FG mk1 and mk2. I'll be buying an FG mk1 or mk2 soon and hope to do a dash conversion but again a sync3 upgrade too would be ideal as carplay is great.
Care to share who has done the FG-X into Mk1 and Mk2 in SA? i've done the conversion but stripped the car front to back and ran FG-X looms. I am thinking ford ranger sync3 would be the go for a conversion, as the gps etc would be working. A U.S. sync3 would probably have region locked gps and things may be imperial units etc
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #10
YTRY4
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Care to share who has done the FG-X into Mk1 and Mk2 in SA? i've done the conversion but stripped the car front to back and ran FG-X looms. I am thinking ford ranger sync3 would be the go for a conversion, as the gps etc would be working. A U.S. sync3 would probably have region locked gps and things may be imperial units etc
Hi, Not entirely sure if the business' want me to mention it as it is not offered as a service to the public atleast not yet, it has been done to a few cars by a performance shop and by a repair shop here in Adelaide all for their own cars though. Exactly as you said it required the entire FGX dash and all body/boot/engine looms plus ECU etc to be used...Basically the car was stripped and looms rerun plus hole cut in the roof for the roof antenna.

I recently helped a friend with this conversion and although 80% of the work has been done there's a few errors on the dash which will be getting fixed within the next week or so.
YTRY4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #11
grantcc
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeseman View Post
Any suggestions on aftermarket?
In August 2016 I took delivery of my FGX Falcon Cab Chassis. Beaut car and I've had two of them before that. Additional bonus was it came with Sat Nav - Ford Sync 2. At that time I'd only had a Tom Tom stuck on the windscreen so the in car thing was great. However it also came with free updates for the next seven years, but the rub was that was only with a service. Having had a garage for 40 years it isn't in my DNA to get someone else to service my cars, so the free bit wasn't exactly that. Anyway my wife bought a new Hyundai Kona recently and it comes with an Android system so you don't, and can't, actually get it with Sat Nav. At first this seemed a bit of a downer but all you need to do is plug in your phone and you can have Google maps and Waze. Obviously for free. Probably a bit limited to Android Auto but it gave me the idea to look around and I came up with these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3iBSKk72Z4 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS1GMdlbcI (plenty of these around just follow the YouTube paths)

In the end I bought one from http://www.cardvdnavi.com/Ford-SYNC2...roid-Interface This was delivered very quickly and the company was very responsive to my emails, unfortunately I couldn't get the thing to work properly. First they sent me a real 'Plug and Play' unit but a part on the back physically prevented the unit being fitted so they sent me a 'PCB Daughterboard' which overcame that problem. A bit of a job to fit but all the stuff was there, and the good bit was that I could simply switch from the OEM screen to the Android screen. Problem was there was no response to the touch screen on the Android side. So you couldn't actually change anything on the screen. Eventually I was able to change things using a mouse plugged into the USB, but even so could not make the screen responsive to touch. In the middle of all this I saw that the screen on the Android side was very lo-res which wasn't at all what I wanted.

The upshot is, that after numerous emails trying to get this sorted my Chinese friends have given up on me and said I can have my money back (not counting my USD45.00 shipping - another story but I'm working on that)

Anyway, that's the story, but before I send it back, maybe someone out there has had experience with these, specifically I guess with FGX Falcons as maybe they're different from other Fords in the world?

Thanks
Grant
grantcc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
I'd just kill for Android Auto in the G6ET.

The FGX should never have come with Sync 2. it was already outdated when it was released.

wouldn't using Android Auto be totally reliant on your Mobile device and plan?

whereas SYNC2 systems are free to run and have better GPS coverage
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
wouldn't using Android Auto be totally reliant on your Mobile device and plan?

whereas SYNC2 systems are free to run and have better GPS coverage
Not totally reliant at all, no.

Better GPS coverage? No. All smartphones have GPS too. But Sync has massively outdated maps, like some roads are years out of date. Google maps is updated constantly.

And almost everyone has some sort of plan on their phone with data. Anyway, with Sync 3 you aren't forced to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

Ford just cheaped out putting Sync2 into the FGX. It should never have been done.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:17 PM   #14
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford just cheaped out putting Sync2 into the FGX. It should never have been done.
SYNC 3 made its debut in the third quarter of 2015 for the 2016 model year in the US, and only came here in mid 2016 starting with the 2016.75 LZ Focus update.

It couldn't possibly have made it into the FGX, unless you think Ford should have spent money on updating the FGX infotainment three months before its run was due to end.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #15
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
SYNC 3 made its debut in the third quarter of 2015 for the 2016 model year in the US, and only came here in mid 2016 starting with the 2016.75 LZ Focus update.

It couldn't possibly have made it into the FGX, unless you think Ford should have spent money on updating the FGX infotainment three months before its run was due to end.
It could have been made an optional upgrade. Ford announced Sync 3 in late 2014, so it was known about LONG before that.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #16
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It could have been made an optional upgrade. Ford announced Sync 3 in late 2014, so it was known about LONG before that.
Just because it's announced doesn't mean it's ready for market. Even the US didn't get it until late 2015, and they get everything first.

Ford didn't make it ready for market in Australia until mid 2016.

As for optional upgrade, it'll still cost money to engineer it. Sync 2 to Sync 3 isn't just a plug and play software update, I'm told it'll also require a hardware upgrade, so to make it work in an FGX will require engineering expenses, which would be pointless on a discontinuing model.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 PM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post

At least someone gets why sync 2 was used.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #18
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
There's a few of us...

There's a video showing sync2 being setup in a dummy dash at broadmeadows and they were making it "australian." That was some time in 2012 iirc.

They spent an enormous amount of time on it, I'm not sure people appreciate how big that job was. And I've only seen the video....

Sync3 wasn't an itch in daddy's pants back then.

Had an escape as a loaner a few weeks ago. Not sure what all the fuss is about with sync3 to be honest. 3 is higher than 2 I guess.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #19
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
There's a few of us...

There's a video showing sync2 being setup in a dummy dash at broadmeadows and they were making it "australian." That was some time in 2012 iirc.

They spent an enormous amount of time on it, I'm not sure people appreciate how big that job was. And I've only seen the video....

Sync3 wasn't an itch in daddy's pants back then.

Had an escape as a loaner a few weeks ago. Not sure what all the fuss is about with sync3 to be honest. 3 is higher than 2 I guess.
I too had an Escape loaner recently and I found the sound quality disappointing, but not sure if it was something to do with the settings. I didn't get time to fiddle around with it.

Besides that, I found it quite useful and Apple Carplay was great. This is coming from a Sync 1 user though, so most things are better than what I got now I guess...

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #20
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Oh I get why it was used...I think we can all see why.

It's just utterly frustrating such an outdated system was used in the last of the Falcons, and 3 was never offered as an optional update down the track. I know it would meant spending more on a car coming to an end, but ****....it was the last one....make an effort.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #21
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It had nothing to do with cost.

It wasn't available.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yes I know, but it was shortly after release.....they could have offered it as an upgrade. It's not a direct plug and play of course. But there's not a massive amount of change required.

I know plenty who would have paid a lot of money for that upgrade.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #23
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I know, but it was shortly after release.....they could have offered it as an upgrade. It's not a direct plug and play of course. But there's not a massive amount of change required.

2 years after release, at which point Falcon only had months to live.

If Ford had rushed Sync 3 into the Australian market just so they can put it in FGX, I'm sure people would be whinging about how buggy and unreliable the new infotainment system is ...

Last edited by NX74205; 07-02-2018 at 05:48 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2018, 09:40 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Like i said some people don't get it.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #25
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Wow, when did this place turn into Reddit

I get it...you're the expert....you know it all....the rest of us are plebs.....
Old 08-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

A guy has upgraded his PX2 Ranger Sync 2 to Sync 3. Was plug and play minus the GPS antenna or the digital radio antenna (can't remember which one sorry).

Sync 3 in my Ranger has been excellent, its alot quicker then Sync 2 and the Apple Car Play feature is very handy.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Wow, when did this place turn into Reddit

I get it...you're the expert....you know it all....the rest of us are plebs.....
Chill out. Sync 3 was never going to happen. The guys who engineered sync 2 for FGX were finished and moved onto different programs well before the buying public ever touched one. And at that stage Sync 3 didn't exist so you are being ridiculous thinking it ever could have been an option.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #28
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Chill out. Sync 3 was never going to happen. The guys who engineered sync 2 for FGX were finished and moved onto different programs well before the buying public ever touched one. And at that stage Sync 3 didn't exist so you are being ridiculous thinking it ever could have been an option.
As I'd already stated multiple times, my comments were out of frustration more than anything. I realise it was too late.

Sync 3 is so many times better than Sync 2, that's all. It really let's down the interior of the car.

Sync 2 isn't that BAD....it's decent...some people really bag it, but I find it ok. But having used 3....I just really wish it could have somehow made it to the FGX.

I'd still happily pay for it to get into my G6ET. The yanks have upgrades working, but not many people over here seem to be working on it, that we know of anyway.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #29
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not totally reliant at all, no.

Better GPS coverage? No. All smartphones have GPS too. But Sync has massively outdated maps, like some roads are years out of date. Google maps is updated constantly.

And almost everyone has some sort of plan on their phone with data. Anyway, with Sync 3 you aren't forced to use Android Auto or Apple Carplay.

From what Iv'e seen only cheaper model cars wee offering systems that ran off the back of your smart phone, ie ads for cars using SIRI

Android auto looks ok but from what i read it was only released mid 2015 and took a while to catch on

Personally I'm still pretty happy with my SYNC 2 my maps have been updated so have no issues there.
that said I haven't sen sync3 in use.
I guess its hard to go backwards one you have experienced it
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #30
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From a functionality point of view, there's no doubt that Sync 3 is better than Sync 2, by some margin.

But personally, I prefer the 4 quadrant GUI of Sync 2. Sync 3 just looks messy by comparison.

Oh well, you can't win them all.