Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Default Definitive AU1 to AU2/AU3 brake upgrade thread

With more people realising how bad the au1 brakes are and that a complete conversion “kit” costs $300ish, which is about what a set of decent pads and rotors cost, that it is a much better option to upgrade to the AU2/AU3 brakes.
This thread will cover upgrading the front brakes/suspension from AU1 to AU2/AU3 gear

Differences
Disc wise there is not much difference. They are the same diameter, and the series 1 disc is 24mm thick, Vs the series 2/3 28mm thick disc. See below for pics.

Where the advantage is in the series 2/3 braking system is in the caliper. Series 1 is a single piston, Vs the series 2/3 twin piston. I’ll let the pics tell the differences.

Pedal Feel
Some people who have completed this conversion, have noticed spongy brakes, due to the brake booster being mismatched to the braking system (it is different for the series 2/3). People have reported their spongy pedal disappearing after fitting braided lines.
My experience is not that they’re spongy, my brakes have a come up well to a rather good pedal, but the pedal needs to be moved further for the brakes to initially work. This makes sense due to having to move more fluid into the caliper for them to work.
I will eventually change the booster, once the rear calipers have been upgraded.

Fitting time
It took an evening for me to remove the series 1 gear, and under a day to install the au2/3 gear, bleed, and have the car back to working.
As a comparison, “JC” took 11 hours to complete the conversion.

What’s needed
What’s in these pictures is pretty much what is needed:

That is:
Lower Control arms
Uprights + Hub(wheel bearings)
Sway bar + links
Sway bar mounts
Calipers + lines
Discs + pads

And the things that don’t come in the conversion that are needed:

Bottle or two of brake fluid of choice
Don’t mix brake fluids. If you don’t know what is in your car, flush/change the whole lot
4 8mm*100mm long high tensile bolts + 4 NYLOCK nuts + 8 washers
These are to mount the sway bar, as we can’t use the factory mounting points.
Nylock nuts are important as they are a locking nut, thus won’t come undone
It’s best to source this stuff from a bolt store/supplier if there is one near you. For me, these parts cost under $10 for the lot.
Loctite + grease

Plus all the tools needed (obviously)

WARNING
The braking system in your car is not to be taken lightly. It is a vital component to have working. Thus, only attempt the conversion yourself at home, if you are confident with your abilities.
Any doubt, get someone else to install the conversion
Seriously, I can’t stress this enough. This guide is only meant to be a supplement, much in the same way a Gregory’s/Elery’s manual is.

The Conversion

Before starting, if you want to paint the calipers and discs it’s best to paint them before starting this conversion, or doing it while you are removing the series 1 components.
Also, I'm not going to mention when and where to loctite/grease. If you know enough to do the conversion, you'll know where/when to use this stuff

The candidate : A series 1, 1999 ute (an early au ute model)

What your going to try and remove.

Firstly, get the car up in the air, supporting it with jack stands under the chassis rails. Remove both front wheels and place them under the chassis behind the stands (just in case). Remove the stone tray as this stage as well.
Meet you enemy.

Disconnect the sway bar link from the upright. It should be a 14mm nut. Do this on both sides of the car.

Disconnect the tie rod (steering rack) from the steering arm/upright. You should need a 18mm ring spanner to undo the nut, and a 8mm open ended spanner to hold the ball joint still while the nut is being undone. Once undo done it will probably need some light “persuasion” to come out.

Next, undo the 4 bolt and nut combos on the lower control arms (2 on each arm). Undo the nut and remove, but do not take the bolt out yet. The arm needs to say in the car for the time being. The bolt should be 18mm, nut 21mm.

At this stage it’s best to remove the caliper, with the line still attached, and hang it from the spring. This keeps as much brake fluid as possible in the system until it’s time to change to caliper/line combo. If you take the caliper off, the fluid will drain out since the reservoir is higher than the end of the line. This is something I didn’t figure out till the front end was completely apart. This photo shows what you need to do, but imagine a lower arm and upright in there.

Undo the top ball joint nut/bolt and remove. Swing the top arm up to disconnect it from the upright. Hold the upright while doing this. Should be a 18mm nut

Now using a trolley jack support the lower arm, taking some of its weight, but not much. Loosen the strut bolt. Remove and lower the arm slightly to ensure it is off the strut. The strut bolt and nut should be 22mm nut, 24mm bolt.

Loosen the front cross member nuts, to the point where they are almost off. This is needed to be able to remove the arm from the car. You may need to take the nuts off, only on one side and drop that side of the cross member when you remove the arm (I can’t remember if you need to do this or not, don’t think so)

Now it’s time to remove the arm/upright assembly. Remove the bolts from the end of the arm, in each of the cross members. Persuasion will probably be needed since they are supporting weight. Move the entire arm/upright assembly away from the car on the jack, supporting (holding) the arm near the chassis. Once clear, lower the jack and place the assembly on the ground, clear from where you are working. You will be left with this.

Remove the sway bar now. This is done by undoing 4 bolts (2 sets of 2) that hold the sway bar mounts over the bar, to the car. Support while doing this, then maneuver round the remaining suspension to remove it from the car

You will now have this.

Repeat these steps for the suspension on the other side. You will now have this.

Well Done. Now time to put it back together.

First up is to remount the sway bar. Credit goes to “The Monty” for this mounting method. You could drill/tap the holes, but I don’t believe there is enough metal on the back side (engine side) to tap. This works just as well as the OEM method.
First, remove the “blanking” bolts in the holes you need. They are a T40 torx bolt, but multigrips or vice grips work just as well.

These holes need to be drilled completely through the chassis. You will be drilling from the wheel well into the engine bay. Use a center punch through the hole, onto the other side of the chassis rail, so that the initial drill bit doesn’t slip.
Begin by using a small bit (2mm/3mm). Use this bit gently as they are easy to snap. Drill completely through on both holes. Then step up in drill bit sizes in a few increments (3mm/6mm/8mm ect) until the hole is large enough to fit the bolt through. Mount the sway bar brackets at this stage. Ensure these are done up tight.

Repeat for the other side and loosely mount the sway bar

Installation of the new suspension is the reverse of the removal method. Until said, loosely tighten all nuts/bolts. The assembly is best to be together before torqueing it all up.
Ensure that the cross member nuts are definitely on and done up slightly
Place the arm and upright assembly on the trolley jack, and raise it to the approximate position that it needs to be in. Slide the end of the arm into the cross members. Install the bolts and nuts on the arm pivots.

Raise the jack to the correct height for the strut, and install the strut bolt. Once done, remove the jack.
Then reconnect the upright to the upper arm ball joint.

Tighten the front cross member nuts back up.
At this stage it is best to toque all the bolt/nuts back up, as the main components are back in and together. The torque values are

Lower arm: 115 Nm *
Cross member: 88 Nm
Strut bolt: 80 Nm*
Top arm ball joint: 90 Nm

* Torque with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension. Easiest way is to jack the car up on the bottom of the arm (same way you installed it), until it is just starting to lift/taking some weight off the jack stands

Reinstall the tie rod. Tighten and torque to nut to 55nm

Swing the sway bar up, and connect the link to the upright. Lightly tighten the link nuts. Now tighten and torque the sway bar mount nuts (sway bar to mounts) to 18 Nm. Once done torque the link nuts to 22 Nm

Install a brake disc and use a wheel nut or two to keep it square to the hub. You can now install the caliper carrier.
You can install this carrier first, then caliper later, or the carrier and caliper as one component at once. If installing it as one unit, do not attach them now. Either way leave the caliper off. Torque to 30 Nm for the carrier to upright, and also for the caliper to the carrier.

Disconnect the series 1 caliper and brake line, from the hard line in the wheel arch. Seal the end of the line old rubber line (rag wrapped in tape). Remove and place with the old suspension.
Connect the au2 line and caliper to the hard line, ensuring that the rubber line is not twisted. The rubber line needs to run behind the strut. Torque to 30 Nm for the the caliper to the carrier, if not done earlier

An additional note here is that on the series 2/3 strut there is a clip that the brake like clips in to, and is held in place. This can be substituted by the use of 1 or 2 cable ties. However I was/am happy with how the line sat without this clip, and like this it did not foul or catch on anything, hence I have not secured the line to the strut. It is personal choice what you do here

If you conversion came with an abs sensor, but you don’t have abs sensor follow this step, other wise skip.
Since there is no connection for this to connect to, alternative measure must be taken. I found this hole in the chassis rail rather convenient. Cover the plug in race/electrical tape. Cable tie to plug into this hole, and cable tie the cable to the alloy cross member.

Bleed the brakes. If you know what fluid is in your car and are using the same type, you only need to bleed the fronts. However, if you don’t know what fluid type is in there, replace the lot and bleed all four corners.
Reinstall the rims and stone stray. Lower your car to the ground.

You can smile now as you done, for a few day at least. In this time get a wheel alignment.

After a few days of usage, put the car back on stands and remove the wheels. Recheck and re-torque all bolts and re-bleed the brakes. After this recheck the bolts at your next service, and bleed then aswell if you wish.

Where to from now
This chart shows Ford's OEM brake fitment. Any of these calipers will now fit, providing you get the mounting bracket/carrier to suit.

Additionally, there are numerous aftermarket brake kits that will now fit. AP racing, brembo's, alcon brakes are just a few I can think of now. Because of the amount there are, I won't list them here.

By installing this front suspension, you are now running the same basic components as what the BA and BF use.
This means that any caliper from a AU/BA/BF will successfully fit onto this suspension, as long as it has the correct carrier (mounting bracket) and the correct discs. Bar au series 1. Even the series 1 premium setup will no longer fit. Nor will teritory brakes fit on the front.

An additional note here, is that I have herd that the brakes lines on the BA/BF calipers are shorter than that of AU2/3. So if upgrading your brakes it would be worth checking this before using the new lines

Additionally any sway bar from AU/BA/BF can now fit as well.
Many of these components are only sold as BA/BF components, but the series 2/3 suspension is the same unit, hence they will now fit.

Have fun with this guys.

Cheers
Ben

Last edited by RG; 24-06-2009 at 09:15 AM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nice work Ben : to cold out side for you today mate ?
Will get the link posted in the useful threads

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Yeah, can't paint in this weather.
Figured now that uni's over and I had the time today doing nothing, I'll write this up. Only been meaning to do it since febuary.
Old 20-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awesome post mate, very valuable
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
ebxr82nv
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turn it into a sticky
97 el futura MOCKed up with a 2500 stall, heaps of fun!
ebxr82nv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Make sure also that when you take it apart to make sure you count and number the amount of shims on each side if your car is lowered and you are using camber caster kits.
And thankyou for the acknowledgement. If only I thought to use sharp drill bits, it would have taken hours, lol.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Outstanding work indeed! Detailed and clear instructions with excellent pics.

Double thumbs up!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
ayeyew
Teh Baest

+1 for sticky

Well done mate, awesome work

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
GeoNazi
Banned

So did you get a wheel alignment after this conversion as you played with the steering componants? Good write up
GeoNazi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

I didnt as it was the straightest the car had steered since Ive owned it, but the general consensus is, yes, you DO need an alignment.
Old 21-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #11
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there are 2 different twin spot calipers on AU2/3???? or there is just 1 twin spot from factory for the AU2/3???
Old 21-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

AU2 and AU3 got the same twin pot calipers micky.
Old 21-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

uh ok so they share the same twin spot caliper, so is this the same caliper found on BF MKii XR6???
Old 22-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

excellent thread superroo, very comprehensive.

I recently upgraded my gear to BF, which was all direct bolt in as with AU2/3.
Old 22-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #15
superroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNazi
So did you get a wheel alignment after this conversion as you played with the steering componants? Good write up
No because my tyres were going to be replaced soon after the conversion was done and i couldn't see the point in paying for an alignment twice.
Car steered straight and didn't feel too bad.

3 months later (whoops) when i replaced the tyres, the inside edges were nackered, more so than the rest of the tyre.
So yes you will need one.

Cheers

Last edited by superroo; 22-06-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 22-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
superroo

This should probably be added in my original post, after the brake section in "where to now". If a mod can do this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
__________________________________________________ ________________

This chart shows Ford's OEM brake fitment. Any of these calipers will now fit, providing you get the mounting bracket/carrier to suit.

Additionally, there are numerous aftermarket brake kits that will now fit. AP racing, brembo's, alcon brakes are just a few I can think of now. Because of the amount there are, I won't list them here.
Old 22-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyyyy
I think there are 2 different twin spot calipers on AU2/3???? or there is just 1 twin spot from factory for the AU2/3???
Yes, the Tickford "premium" setup had twin pot calipers, different to the std AU2/3.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #18
AuForteFan
Long Live the AU Falcon

Cheers for this, will be very useful to me. Great job
AuForteFan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fantastic write up. If I had this when i did mine, it would have been a 6 hour job, not 11 (most of the time i took was working out what needed to be removed and when, even with help from the Gregory's/Haynes manual). And as I now have air tools, I reckon this could be done in under 4!
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
This should probably be added in my original post, after the brake section in "where to now". If a mod can do this it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Done Benny boy.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #21
kingham3689
Starter Motor

What are the legalities in doing this? Would an engineers certificate be needed , just to make the insurance companies happy? Or would it not be needed, as the bigger brakes come standard on the later AU's?

Awesome write-up
kingham3689 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #22
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much should this cost to get done at a mechanic?
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #23
old fordnut
too many fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^dude
How much should this cost to get done at a mechanic?
If its not a mate then they will probarly sting you a small fortune.

Also Are the swaybar links different between AU1 and AU2?

Daily driver 2: Nissan gq patrol

Project 1: XP ute, 351W, c4, 9inch

Project 2: XBGS sedan, sunburnt orange and vinyl, original 4spd, 302C.
old fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fordnut
If its not a mate then they will probarly sting you a small fortune.

Also Are the swaybar links different between AU1 and AU2?
Yeap the links and i think the bars a different as well, you need the one from au2 or later and i think are few extra holes a needed to be drilled.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

One question guys, i have a t3 with premium brakes and i have recently purchased a au3 xr8 which had premium brakes fitted as an option.

Now on the t3 the front caliper sits forward of the upright and on the xr8 it sits on the rear of the upright.

Why is this?

I thought because they are both au iii they would have the same brake setup.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
One question guys, i have a t3 with premium brakes and i have recently purchased a au3 xr8 which had premium brakes fitted as an option.

Now on the t3 the front caliper sits forward of the upright and on the xr8 it sits on the rear of the upright.

Why is this?

That is a very good question! Don't know the answer, but it may have something to do with the fact that all XRs came with the same spindle/upright, so when premium brakes were ordered, they just bolted them on. I'd assume the T series came with a specific spindle for the standard (?) Premium brakes. Still doesn't answer why one is forward and one is back..........
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingham3689
What are the legalities in doing this? Would an engineers certificate be needed , just to make the insurance companies happy? Or would it not be needed, as the bigger brakes come standard on the later AU's?

Awesome write-up
This is legal to do as it is similar to fitting Brembos to a car - it is an upgrade with parts designed for the vehicle.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #28
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy

Why is this?

AFAIK all the cars that had premium brakes fitted as an option from factory had the S1 setup, which sits at the back
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i may have missed it but if a bloke fitted the slightly bigger ba rotors and calipers on his series 2 xr6 would there be enough clearance for the standard xr6 225/50/16 wheels?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
Grug1

Default Re: Definitive au2-au3 brake upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
Yeap the links and i think the bars a different as well, you need the one from au2 or later and i think are few extra holes a needed to be drilled.
Bumping up this thread, great resource and big thumbs up to the OP.

A local wrecker I contacted has done several of these upgrades on AU series I's and suggested going with the EB swaybar and links rather than AUII or later swaybar.

has anyone attempted this upgrade with the EB bar??
Grug1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post