Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #91
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: Definitive au2-au3 brake upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstraight View Post
You won't be able to use a S1 master cylinder on a S2/3 booster as they mount on different angles too.
I think I read that the pedal push rod may jam if you install a S2 Booster in a
S1 firewall, they may have changed the angle of the firewall, apparently if you make a 4 mm wedge, it will compensate for this.

Not sure about an angle change between the Booster and master though, will need to see 2 side by side.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #92
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif73 View Post
Not sure about an angle change between the Booster and master though, will need to see 2 side by side.
Post up a pic of the two assemblies side by side when you get the chance
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #93
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstraight View Post
Post up a pic of the two assemblies side by side when you get the chance
I will Steve, if I can find 2 side by side.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #94
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

BF Booster (With Shortened Pushrod) & AU 1 tonne master in my S1. Previously BF master as well.
Never herd or had this jamming issues.

Didn't solve my pedal issues. Turned out to be air trapped in the rear calipers, that was only removed once they unbolted from hub and piston pushed all the way back in.

Last edited by superroo; 17-08-2015 at 11:45 PM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2015, 08:17 PM   #95
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo View Post
BF Booster (With Shortened Pushrod) & AU 1 tonne master in my S1. Previously BF master as well.
Any details on how much shorter the rod has to be?
Also, how did you fit the booster to the firewall, drill more holes?
I just picked up a series 3 front end for the brake upgrade, got the booster and rear brakes as well, so thinking of doing it all as per series 3 spec.

Was thinking though of just cutting 2 of the booster bolts off and mounting it that way? or are the bolts all in different places? (haven't taken the series 1 off yet to check the bolt positions...)

I also neglected to get the bolts that hold the callipers to the upright, will the series 1 bolts be OK or do I need the series 3?

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2015, 11:06 PM   #96
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Re: calliper bolts, series one has the pad seats built into the upright and the calliper bolts to the upright through the slides. Totally different setup to the series 2/3. So you'll need bolts.

See the pics in the first post of this thread.

There's probably also a pic of the boosters in here somewhere, but if it has gone from 2 bolts to a 4 bolt design, there won't be any that line up. The uppers will be higher than before, and the lowers will be lower. I'm assuming though...
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #97
BlueBear
Shockwave

Thought so - re the bolts anyway.

Will have to check out both boosters side by side i reckon, but I think your right there as well...

Thanx,
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2015, 03:39 AM   #98
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

I had a quick look at the workshop manuals in here and it's worth checking the boosters side by side as the EF-EL type (was a carry through to AU right?) has the studs on a diagonal.

http://fordforums.com.au/wsmpub//eflwx/2-3.html

http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/au/Part%202-3.html
TE2 #116
Old 15-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #99
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question for the experts here.

I know the BF Turbo style brakes adapt to an AU front with no problems and the rears require the spacer etc as described here.

My question is can the rears only be adapted to an IRS AU or is it the same for the HP model with a live beam axle?

If they only suit the IRS model, do any of the B series brakes fit the live axle models?

Thanks!
XF_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2015, 07:57 PM   #100
LPGUTE

they will fit non IRS fine, but the hose will rub the upper trailing arm if not modify.

2001 AUII Factory LPG Manual XL Styleside Box
High series bonnet
Clear Side Indicator
K&N Air Filter
BAXR6T Snorkle
Low Fronts, Super Low Leafs

LPGUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2015, 09:16 AM   #101
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent. Thank you. I just read on another forum that you have Tobias the carriers off a BF wagon or Ute and that's no problem.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #102
monroc

Just reading about upgrading my brakes I have a series 1 ute and have upgraded the brakes etc to a series 2 just wondering do i need to also fit the abs system and if so what other parts do i need to get a wrecker told me I meed the master cylinder plus the pedals etc for all this to work any help would be really appreciated thanks steve
monroc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #103
Fairlane Al

A couple of quick questions, I'm looking to upgrade my series 2 AU to BF XR6 brakes, the 322mm setup.

Am I correct in my understanding that these calipers will simply bolt straight on to a series 2 AU, that all I need is pads, calipers and rotors and I'm good to go? Also does a 322mm rotor need to be specifically a BF Falcon rotor or can I use Territory 322mm rotors? What about pads?

Also if does anyone know if a series 2 brake rotor can be used on a series 1 Falcon, as if my current rotors are still good when I do the changeover I would be happy to give them to my brother, save wasting perfectly good and barely used equipment.
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #104
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroc View Post
just wondering do i need to also fit the abs system
No, no need. Car has been homolgated without ABS. Only a problem to go the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al
Am I correct in my understanding that these calipers will simply bolt straight on to a series 2 AU.
Yes no problem. I have BA GT 325mm's on mine. I have herd talk of the standard lines being possibly to short though, do keep an eye on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane Al
Also if does anyone know if a series 2 brake rotor can be used on a series 1 Falcon.
No, different thicknesses and I can't recall if the hat height/offset is the same
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2016, 03:45 AM   #105
Fairlane Al

Another supplementary question.

I understand the BA Premium brakes, with the 325mm rotors are the best brakes this side of a Brembo. Are these calipers still available new from either Ford or PBR or am I going to have to find them second hand?

Also I have read other places on the internet that BF XR brakes, the ones that use the 322mm rotor and standard B series brakes with the 298 mm rotor both use the same calipers and pads. Is this true or am I hearing something of a furphy?
Fairlane Al is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 AM   #106
StuC
Starter Motor

Hey all,
probably a silly question but whats the difference between the AU2/3 LCAs/uprights and the BA ones? Looking at doing BA upgrade for the extra size and instead of grabing all the arms, swaybar etc from the AU then tracking down the calipers, discs carrier off the BA i was just gonna rip the whole lot out at once from a BA.

Dice or no dice?

Also whats the gp with rears? I have S1 fairmont with live axle and ABS. BA rear discs slot over and calipers/carriers all good to bolt straight on?

To confirm booster/master issues too - AU2/3 booster and master is ideal however i will need to modify the firewall by drilling 4 holes and possibly fabricating a wedge to account for the different shaped firewall? I will be going braided lines in the future but much rather the correct M/C and booster combo straight up.

Cheers,
Stu
StuC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #107
BlueBear
Shockwave

Started doing a Series 3 XR upgrade to my series 1 Fairmont.
I got the full suspension and brakes front and rear and the booster and master cylinder al for $150, so a cheap and worthwhile upgrade.

Am waiting for new front rotors and pads as I thought it was also worthwhile.
I don't drive anywhere nears as hard as I used to, so standard late model brakes should be fine.

I thing I would like to show that I did was instead of undoing the bolts of the front crossmember I just took my little 1mm cutoff wheel out and cut the tail off the bolt.
Can't see why it should cause any probs as it's only that length to assist in locating the crossmembers when they are assembled.
No real heat, took about 10 seconds to cut it off.
The lower wishbone came out easy as.
I think the other advantage is the you don't disturb any chassis alignment as nothing is loosened off.

Both vehicles had ABS fitted but it's interesting the the sensor is on the other side of the axle, behind rather than in front.

And seeing I'm changing springs and all I get the tab to hold the brake line in the correct place. Not that easy to see, but there all the same...

No, I didn't bother cleaning all the replacement parts up...

Anyway, just some observations.

Cheers.
Old 14-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #108
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to add a"howto" to this thread as I have an unusual situation or somewhat rare brake setup. I have an AU3 with factory fitted Tickford Premium brakes, however after lots of research I don't have a definite answer why. Here goes...my Premium brakes calipers (factory fitted) are located at about 2 o'clock and they sit behind the stub axle. Now, I know there are those of you out there who say they have the same or the opposite, I havent got any real answer as to why Ford fitted them either forward or rear of the stub axle. Anyway, I have bought a set of 6/4 Brembos which I was told came form a "B" series but later found out they are off a Territory. The "B" series Brembos sit forward of the stub and the Territory sit behind, like the FG does. So, trial fitting the Brembo/bracket I discovered the bracket fouls on the stub axle and finding and the correct Brembo brackets for an AU is nigh on impossible and ridiculously expensive if found. I figured the answer was to source a 2nd hand stub axle setup from an AU 2/3 with the mounting holes forward of the stub axle. $100 later I had a full setup including callipers, wheel bearings and upper/lower control arms. I didn't need all the extras bit and only used the stubs. Matt from Race Brakes, Sydney was his usual helpful self and sold me a set of FG mounting brackets/hoses which are a damn sight cheaper than AU brackets. The brackets mounted straight up at the front of the stub axle and the FG hoses bolted on also. The only issue I had was the rear Brembos require new hoses to be made and the mounting bracket require a 2mm shim so the caliper centres over the rotor. As I used FG brackets the calipers sit slightly at an angle rather than the vertical position but the upside is I didn't have to fit the calipers left to right, right to left, upside down, change bleed nipples and cross over pipes, so the pistons are in the correct position with the largest one at the trailing of the rotor.

BTW: I will be selling the Premium Brake setup if anyone is interested.

Below are some pics of my mechanics doing the job for me today...

As you can the the Premium brakes calipers site behind the stub axle:

The Premium caliper off, you can see the mounting holes are behind the stub axle.

The replacement stub axle with mounting holes forward of the stub axle.

FG mounting bracket fitted ready for the caliper.

Front caliper bolted on.

The rear mounting bracket with 2 x 2mm shims between the bracket and mounting holes.

Rear rotor and caliper bolted on.

And the finished result.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #109
DEATH_INC
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grug1 View Post
A local wrecker I contacted has done several of these upgrades on AU series I's and suggested going with the EB swaybar and links rather than AUII or later swaybar.

has anyone attempted this upgrade with the EB bar??
Just thought this needed bringing up again as I spent over an hour looking for the answer;
The EB bar can be used, but it isn't the ideal solution. It bolts to the factory AU1 swaybar mounts, but it doesn't curve outwards towards the wheel. It requires drilling a new hole in the lower arm for the link to attach through, in the 'web' of the arm near where the hole the abs wire clip goes through, which of course reduces the effectiveness of the swaybar, due to the changes in leverage ratio applied.

I used AU2/3 arms/bar.

I just upgraded the front of My AU1 xr8 to 322's with slotted discs and Znoelli Hi-temp pads, a couple of things worth mentioning I think...
If you have an XR8 it has a 27mm swaybar...most of the non-XR's only have a 23mm bar (I got an aftermarket 30mm one after I noticed ....)
I used new BA lines and the original bolt on brake line brackets from the BA (no cable ties ) and it all fitted together perfectly, the Pedal is no spongier than before either.
I did it comfortably in a shade under 5 hours-drive in drive out...though I did use the hoist at work and a power bleeder...

Last edited by DEATH_INC; 15-01-2016 at 03:20 PM.
DEATH_INC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #110
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mine XR8 now has Terry rears from an SX

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #111
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Mine XR8 now has Terry rears from an SX

UK
Noice!
would be interesting to see how the front to rear bias changes, especially in the wet.
So did you have to remove the dust shields? How close is the wider disc to the tie rod ball joint now?

Cheers.

Old 25-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #112
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Re: Definitive au2-au3 brake upgrade thread

QUOTE=mif73;5570116]Noice!
would be interesting to see how the front to rear bias changes, especially in the wet.[/QUOTE]
I haven't hit the sids yet in the wet. But when I was running them in on a private road no dramas when I broke very hard on a damp service.

Quote:
So did you have to remove the dust shields?
YES you had to remove the rear dust covers (haven't look at fitting terry ones)
Quote:
How close is the wider disc to the tie rod ball joint now? Cheers.
Very close but similar to before. I'll take a pic next time their off. So far no dramas.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 10-06-2016, 10:49 AM   #113
HanSolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuC View Post
Also whats the gp with rears? I have S1 fairmont with live axle and ABS. BA rear discs slot over and calipers/carriers all good to bolt straight on?
Has anyone got any light to shed on this one? I think I understand the front brakes but I want to make sure I get everything I need off the donor car for the rear before I get rid of it.

Vehicles

unnamed
2002 AU III Futura Sedan - The new toy

Moving it on, first life was too tough
"The Millenium Falcon"
99 AU Fairmont - Stock but workin' on it.

Written off by a KIA - the humanity
"Red 5"
05 BA Mk2 XT - with a fancy red and black polka dot ceiling in it.
HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #114
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
Has anyone got any light to shed on this one? I think I understand the front brakes but I want to make sure I get everything I need off the donor car for the rear before I get rid of it.
Not sure about live axle, but I when I converted my series 1 XR8 (IRS), I had to use a 3mm spacer for the rear calipers to centre the disc. You could use a large washer, or I made mine out of some aluminium bar.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2016, 12:06 AM   #115
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post

IRS or live rear axle, they all take the same rear rotor in the non performance models so that's a good sign.
TE2 #116
Old 01-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #116
HanSolo

Finally got around to doing the conversion.

Front was as per this guide.

Rear, all we did was remove the Rotors and calipers with mounts, took the brake hose off the caliiper end and put it all straight on. The only difference was that they had to be mounted on the opposite wheel so the bleed nipple was above the brake line. Other than that all seems good and they bite well when warm, hoping they bed in soon.

Vehicles

unnamed
2002 AU III Futura Sedan - The new toy

Moving it on, first life was too tough
"The Millenium Falcon"
99 AU Fairmont - Stock but workin' on it.

Written off by a KIA - the humanity
"Red 5"
05 BA Mk2 XT - with a fancy red and black polka dot ceiling in it.
HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #117
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People who have put B series Turbo brake on an AU 2/3.

Did you run the standard AU or BF brake lines? I want to get braided lines and need to know which ones to order for when I convert the brakes

Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #118
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Mine runs AU hoses
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #119
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Cool Re: Definitive au2-au3 brake upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by XF_Pilot View Post
People who have put B series Turbo brake on an AU 2/3.

Did you run the standard AU or BF brake lines? I want to get braided lines and need to know which ones to order for when I convert the brakes

Thanks!!
Standards but its just enough.
UK
Old 13-09-2016, 03:38 PM   #120
XF_Pilot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Standard AU or BF? Do they need to be slightly longer?