Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-12-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Question "Fly by wire " system?

G'day guys

This is a newbie question so please be merciful in your flaming. lol

I'm looking to get a brand new Focus LX in Dawn Blue with a manual transmission next month. My question is... Does the Focus use a "Fly by Wire" system for the brake, throttle and clutch?

Also, I notice the fuel flap isnt lockable like in my old Laser. I've only ever looked at the car in the dealships. Is that flap locked when I lock the car? If not, is there any way that I can lock it? I'm alittle paranoid that some playful kids might put sand in my fuel tank.

Thanks in advance.

pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 04:25 AM   #2
Forest Bear

It has fly-by-wire throttle only. The fuel cap locks with the rest of the car openings.
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 08:15 AM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

The fuel flap is locked all the time until you actually open it <-- if that makes any sense

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #4
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I know the Fuel Flap on LS Focus is locked when you lock the car.. so when the car is unlocked so is the fuel flap
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
BlackLS

Yep thats correct. Open the fuel tank and lock/unlock the car.

I find the Fly-by wire throttle has a fraction of a second delay, makes it hard to do hill starts when you first drive it.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys.

I wonder why the brakes arent "fly by wire" either. I guess its a cost saving issue and it goes to another part of the system. But still.. it'd be cool to have it.

For a cable clutch, its very soft. My dad's Subaru's clutch is stiff as. I hate it.

Another thing I find weird. The sedan has a bigger boot space than the hatch. It doesnt sound right to me. I thought the hatch would have more space.
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brake-by-wire is very new still and as far as I know has only been fitted to expensive Merc's.

Clutch would be Hydraulic I would say which generally is fairly light.

The Sedan is quite a bit longer than the hatch (600mm or so) which would add a fair bit of boot space.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Brake by wire is still very new since braking is such a safety related control, nobody can guarantee the reliability. No brakes at 100km/h+ (or any speed) ain't exactly safe!!! It would be very hard to instill enough confidence into motorists that it is a reliable, safe technology. It would destroy toe-tip feeling and control in performance driving too. Feeling the brake fade, bite and the like.

Throttle by wire was introduced as it doesn't have such safety concerns, but it's main advantage is it is one less physical path that vibrations from the engine can travel into the cabin unlike on a cable, thus improving NVH (Noise vibration Harshness) which is the eternal quest for a quieter more pleasant cabin.

The fuel door is locked then the doors are locked via an interanl electronic solenoid. When you unlock the doors, the petrol flap unlocks also.

The sedan interestingly has a bigger boot that a BA/BF Falcon which is pretty cool. Sedans always have a bigger boot than their equivalent hatch.