Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-01-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Default Interstate travel OK with brand new car?

I'm about to purchase a brand new Focus. I need to travel interstate (about 900km) literally the week after I pick up the car.

This would be within the "running in" period. Is it safe to run the car for a whole day going 80-100km/h? Or should I be avoiding travel like this in the car until its clocked up at least 1000km?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Lagom

You can do it, no problem.

One thing to be careful with is constant revs - try to vary your speed a little here and there on a long drive, as it's bad for the run in process to have the engine running at a constant speed for an extended period of time.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

So if I pull into a town and drive around there for about 15 mins after every hour 1.5hr of freeway time, it should be alright then?

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

firstly, congrats on the car, when you actually get it!

what i would suggest is on the highway do as lagom says and vary your engine speed.
if ur better half isnt in the car with you then on the freeway maybe slow to 90, kick it back to 4th and get back up to speed. sorta vary the rpm a bit, but dont go redlining it!
pulling into town would be a good idea every couple hours and give it a bit of a squirt here and there, maybe upto around 4thousand rpm
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I pretty much had to run my XR in the same way you did. I followed the manual and didn't travel over 100km/h. As long as you do a bit of stop/starting (or town driving as you said) the car will be fine.
I haven't had trouble with the motor and it has never used a drop of oil in all 20,000km it's travelall.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Lagom

Here's a good page on running in.

It might go against the common wisdom of "babying it" when a car is new, but there's merit to what it says.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

When my car was new, I'd basically run it up and down hills (eg. use lower gears for engine braking downhill). Wouldn't thrash it, but just give it some exercise. Engine doesn't use oil, it's going nicely years later.

An important thing is to not rev the car recklessly when the engine is cold - revs aren't bad, just don't do it on a cold engine. It takes around 10-15 minutes, depending on ambient temperatures to get an engine fully warmed up (engine oil takes longer to warm up than coolant).
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Try to do as much driving as you can before you leave, if you can make some time to spend specifically on running in, eg loading up hills (note not lugging etc) that would be better.

On the long highway trip, I would say just vary the speed slightly, consistently. The advice against holding a speed too long relates to the rings wearing a slight step in the bore (the height the rings travel varies slightly with rpm), so if it is an auto, activate the torque converter unlock, or change down in a manual to avoid this.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If you avoid the cruise control it will help you vary the revs a little more. Otheriwse I'm with everyone above!! Good Luck!