Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #401
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
I've got a problem with my climate control system in the Fairmont.

When its on the windscreen, it sometimes surges, or drops off when braking.
When you turn the fan speed down, it wont go any less than 6.
And when you push the off button, the fan keeps going.

Then when you turn off the car completely... Fans keep running.
Usually solved by flicking the ignition on and off.

I've tried pulling the unit out and checking over it, nothing appears odd.
Except when i put it back in the LCD screen is now very dark.

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks.
Problem solved.

It was the fan controller unit behind the glove box.
It backs onto an opening in one of the pipes which also can get leaves from the outside drawn into it.
The leaves get caught in the cooling fins of the controller unit and decompose with time and condensation from the air con, which made the alloy oxidise and one of the metal bits rust, causing it to malfunction.

Another one for the books, so to speak. :
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #402
Arch
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Thanks for the recomendation to fix LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
There is a guy on ebay, that puts his service up for sale to fix the screens. And i've heard of quite a few that have done this and the screens have been fixed with no problem.

Here is the add: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....515112631&rd=1

Or his actual site: http://www.geocities.com/liquidxtal/index.html

He is in Victoria for those who wanna know.
Thankyou for this recomendation. I now have a climate control unit where all the LCD bits work. I live in SA and they gave me a loan unit while they fixed mine up. When my fixed unit came back I simply posted their one back to them in Melbourne.

All in all it cost me $117.00 all up ( labour, postage etc..) and is a much cheaper option than buying a new or secondhand hand one.

Thanks again
Arch
Arch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #403
Benn
Starter Motor

had the same trouble with my ute.
removed the lining, cleaned back and sprayed with black paint. Came up sweet.
Benn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #404
Cespenar
Huh?

Two small items that have deteorated: The O ring for the Cruise control on/off switch. This might let dust in and cause a $400 replacement.
The spring for the door handle, the one that holds it firm. It costs approx' $45 for the whole handle from Ford. (The chrome Ghia one). Better than trying to fix a busted spring.
Cespenar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #405
Homes
Falcon Loving Hermit

I've had an AUII Futura 6cyl for almost 12 months now...i never knew about the steering rack recall...and neither did the previous car's owner. Steering broke the day after i bought it...fixed now & all is good, but i'm still paranoid about it.
Other than that : the clip on the sunglasses holder is a bit iffy - doesn't close very well, don't think i've had a problem in the time i've had the car
Homes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 04:42 PM   #406
hihosilver1953

Default replacing boot lid broken strut bottom fitting?

what is required to replace the bottom fitting in the AU Boot lid.?

What alternative is there to using ford plastic studs to hold in the front wheel splash guard. I had my left wheel guard tear out just days after I hit a large dog with the bumper bar right hand front corner. I levered out the dent but had the guard tear itself to bits going up a driveway.

I am getting a new plastic splash liner but don't want to trust just plastic studs to hold the replacement in.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #407
Legs of Steel
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelliib
Hey,

Having alot of trouble with my AU 1 tonne ute, its a 2000 model.

Whenever the car heats up the engine dies! then it wont start for about 5 minutes after that. It broke down about 7 times on the way home the other day. I had it completely re-wired at the auto elec because the fuse box was stuffed but that didnt fix the problem.. but yeah it only seems to happen on a hot day or when the car has been going for a while.. Im thinking something to do with the fuel lines??? any help would be great coz the mechanics didnt!
I had the same problim... RACQ said it was a faulty crank angle sensor... replaced but did not fix the problim... Auto Leaders worked on it for 5 hours and found the wires from the crank sensor had rubbed through on the air con bracket.
Legs of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #408
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

AU3
78000km
Back door actuator dies, about $180 from ford. They dont make ones for AU anymore, you have to buy a BA one and a conversion harness
battery holder in remotes, 2 seconds with soldering iron
handbrake sqealing in reverse, adjusted at service time
Ive just noticed rust around the boot struts & I really need a carport as the paint on the spoiler is all bubbled
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #409
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

One that I don't think is here. When purchasing Door Vertical moulds on all AU's, remember to remove the greasy substance off them before you try to fit. The stuff on there is NOT something that needs prepsol or some other petrol based goody to get it off, just PLAIN old warm water and soap (or car wash).

We get lots of mechanics and Panel beaters telling us we sent them a defective one
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #410
BOON250

Well had my AU for almost 3 months and it seems to be on a mission to p**** me off this week. Cruise randomly switches on/off. Cruise +set button packed up. Temp gauge reading erratic. Idling rough when cold. MDC on the fritz. and to top it off the rack has started leaking badly. I guess its all easy fix stuff but to happen all in one week Geeezz :

BOON250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #411
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LCD display

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjau99
That is awesome, thanks for that!! I need to get mine fixed cos it drives me up the wall looking at it like that! When Ford said I needed to replace it at $800 I thought yeah right, but now I can fix it at last!!
Hi had mine done by the melbourne mob on ebay cost $120 had no a/c for a week waiting for c/o unit to arrive easy to remove just use screw diveron far left of unit prise off cover and unscrew the philips screw and slide unit out
hope this helps JOHN in QLD
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #412
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hello all, there is a problem with my au2 xr6 vct im finally starting to get sick of, when i start it up it has a lot of difficulty turning over, it doesnt happen everytime, its purely random, hot or cold, flat or hill, doesnt seem to matter, i have a suspicion its the battery, but my previous car; an au2 fairmont did the same thing, ive had an au1 and an au3 without any such troubles. i use 98ron fuel if that helps. any advice would be a great help since i dont imagine the guys at ford having a clue...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #413
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveIgnition
Hello all, there is a problem with my au2 xr6 vct im finally starting to get sick of, when i start it up it has a lot of difficulty turning over, it doesnt happen everytime, its purely random, hot or cold, flat or hill, doesnt seem to matter, i have a suspicion its the battery, but my previous car; an au2 fairmont did the same thing, ive had an au1 and an au3 without any such troubles. i use 98ron fuel if that helps. any advice would be a great help since i dont imagine the guys at ford having a clue...
I have the same problem, I replaced the battery still does it.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #414
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveIgnition
I would take a look at yout leads & coil. People usually forget about them, they don't last forever. Leads usually start to go downhill at the 100k mark & age will also affect them.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #415
Nutcase
Starter Motor

Radiator developed a pinhole leak which seems to be common on the AU. Took it to an Adrad reseller for a replacement, about $260 for a new Adrad radiator fitted and the cooling system flushed and filled with new coolant and pressure tested. They offered to come and get me from my home about 15 mins drive away when the car was ready.
Nutcase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #416
congo3sr

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcase
Radiator developed a pinhole leak which seems to be common on the AU. Took it to an Adrad reseller for a replacement, about $260 for a new Adrad radiator fitted and the cooling system flushed and filled with new coolant and pressure tested. They offered to come and get me from my home about 15 mins drive away when the car was ready.
now thats service. :
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #417
rosefisted

AU Series I, 4.0
(all distances are approximate)

LSD - Severe knocking and binding
150,000km - Replacement of diff carrier and bearings

Starter motor
150,000km - Intermittant failure of unit - Would fail to engage (solenoid and electric drive motor)

Leaking power steering rack (from RHS seal)
180,000km - Remove rack, flush the pump and replace entire rack with change over unit. Also, replace sensor. Check around. Replacement units can cost about $350 supplied, not fitted (I checked with my local Repco and they quoted $500, supplied only, not fitted). I managed to get one for $200 with 12-month warranty.

Front hub carriers (LHS & RHS)
200,000km - A clicking noise (kinda like putting playing cards on a push-bike spoke) and vibration under braking. Attributed to worn hub carrier bearings.
NOTE: Check eBay for replacement units - Mechanics I've spoken to reckon they can only get them at about $300 PER SIDE (non-Ford OEM, supplied only, not fitted)... I picked up a pair (non-Ford OEM) from a supplier in Sydney for $160 for a pair, delivered through eBay.

Last edited by rosefisted; 27-01-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 27-01-2008, 12:32 PM   #418
rosefisted

Oh, and I forgot this...

Coil-pack and HT Leads
170,000km - Sudden onset of an ignition miss without warning (miss occured at all speeds, and was not dependent upon engine RPM). Costanzo Ford (Greensborough) identified fault - I was initially concerned because a friend had replaced a coil pack in their Mazda MX5 for $500 - Was plesantly suprised that coil pack and leads only cost $350 fitted. Was even more suprised that Costanzo Ford were able to fix the problem on Saturday for me, the day I was driving back to Wagga Wagga, NSW.

Last edited by rosefisted; 27-01-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #419
mailmann
Starter Motor

My AU series 111 SR just lunched the rite hand ceal on the power stearing rack.This is the 2nd time in 13 mnths now!Lucky the 3 year harrier warranty is still current.Booked into the service people for another replacement rack on tuesday.The original rack failed at 80,000kms and it,s only just clicked over 98,000 kms.These racks are a real problem in the au,s.So all i,m waiting for now is the radiator to fail and i will have had just about every faiure listed in these forums.
mailmann is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #420
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to hear mailmann
but eh least uve replaced everything so should be happy motoring for a fair few more kays now!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #421
mulletmun
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Monty
Missing AU Fairmont/ Ghia Climate control digital segments? It's an easy fix!!!

1.0 Tools Required;
1.1 Phillips head and flat blade screw drivers
1.2 Cloths iron
1.3 Baking paper

2.0 Remove climate control unit from dash;
2.1 Removing clock surround, allowing access to retaining screw, remove screw,
2.2 Pull unit forward and to the left, unplugging 1 air sensor and 2 electrical plugs.
2.3 Unit should now slide right out

3.0 Dis-assemble control unit;
3.1 Depress and pull plastic retaining legs where appropriate
3.2 Slide unit out rear of casing.

4.0 Re-attach control ribbon
4.1 Pre-heat iron to sub steam temperature
4.2 Clean/ trim ribbon and contacts if required (do not use solvent as will destroy ribbon/ adherence)
4.3 Re-align ribbon with circuit contacts
4.4 Place baking paper on top or ribbon to stop ribbon melting onto iron
4.5 With moderate pressure, press iron onto ribbon and contacts
4.6 Check contacts/ test in car before refitting into casing.

5.0 Re-assemble in reverse order
gday all, had a go at this today took all of about 15 mins, i didnt even do the ironing bit, just took it all apart, and cleaned the inside of the glass etc, fired it up and it has dots, etc that i didnt know excisted, sweet, cheers lil monty.
mulletmun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2008, 12:54 AM   #422
Tradewind

Only had my AU S2 Ute since Xmas 07, got 130 000 km on it, has had a very tough life - started with an out back shire council!!

So far:

Freeze plug failure, let all water out instantly. Got a new Stainless plug for $4.50 and fitted it myself and refilled with coolant $45.00

The A/C seems to be getting suss, could this be the compressor dying? I was a touch noisey a while back but quiet again now and not working so well. A new compressor for the shopping list?

Replaced all the shocks/struts but I always do that when I get a second hand car no matter how good they see.

Also fitted RDA slotted rotors and Bendix Premium pads, the stock rotors were bit shaky when hot.

Thinking plug leads soon.

Replaced plugs with Iridium from Ford - another thing I normally replace anyhow.

Otherwise going well and very good fuel economy on cruise 12.7km/L
Old 10-02-2008, 06:56 PM   #423
coledog
Starter Motor

how do you train new keypad for an au series 2 futura sedan local dealer wants an hours labour
coledog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #424
rosefisted

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by coledog
how do you train new keypad for an au series 2 futura sedan local dealer wants an hours labour

If it's anything like the AU1, tell him he's dreaming : It takes about 5 minutes... I got a quote from Hillis Ford, Wagga Wagga for a new keyring fob - $90. After 2 minutes on eBay, I'd saved myself $70. Instructions for "training" a new keypad should be in the car's original handbook.

BTW, if you're in the NSW Riverina, avoid Hillis Ford - My second-hand AU missed the "major" recall fix : ... It wasn't until an official Ford letter letting me know that the work hadn't been completed did I get it done - at the superior Ford dealer in Culcairn (about 100kms towards Albury)!
Old 16-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #425
coledog
Starter Motor

i havent got an owners book and the au1 is not the same to train fob, unfortunately there is only 1 dealer in 130ks
coledog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post