Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #651
red_hotxr6
Banned

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

As i have just purchased a AU XR6 SERIES 3, dec 2001, the info on here was so welcomed and informative...at the moment, the power windows are on the blink but i know how to fix them, boot struts arent on the car, and it looks like the brakes/rotors need to be replaced. But otherwise the car is brilliant..thanks for the info from all those that have or had an AU.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #652
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yeah pulling apart the AU window buttons is par for the course, i did all mine a year or so ago and it fixed them for the most part - also replacement buttons aren't that expensive at the wrecker
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #653
red_hotxr6
Banned

would have thought ford would have solved that little problem by series 2....
Old 18-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #654
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

nope, lasted through all series

if it aint not broke, don't fix it :P
Old 18-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #655
red_hotxr6
Banned

Also, throughout all the posts..seems the power windows and the brakes/rotors were the main problem..seems to me that the driver is to blame for the rotors, as i have never had to replace one ever..methinks we have alot of lead foots here..lol
Old 18-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #656
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

the problem is not with the drivers, it's a design flaw - i've owned 13 Falcons and they have all warped, except for the one i have now but it only has 12,700KM on it at the moment so give it time. Also has bigger brakes than any of the others being a Turbo so i'll wait and see. My AUs brakes are warped and are terrible from high speed braking situations.
Old 18-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #657
red_hotxr6
Banned

Well maybe you have just proved my point, as i have never had it happen to me, as i have had a few fords through my life time, but then i have never thrashed my fords, and all ways allow for a proper stopping distance, unlike some whom i have driven with and try to stop on the dot. Or maybe you have just been unlucky..
Old 18-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #658
red_hotxr6
Banned

Got my report/rwc today and
rear tyres are miss matched
boot lid no strut
rear brake lights dont work....had that done immediately..$30..
headlights are blue..not legal.
tint is coming off 1 window
passenger side power windows do not work
park lights do not work
rotors need machining
lh number plate light no workee
rear stubaxle rubbers perished
no horn......
jax quick fit are doing the rotors and tyres for me tomorrow...
Old 18-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #659
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6 View Post
Well maybe you have just proved my point, as i have never had it happen to me, as i have had a few fords through my life time, but then i have never thrashed my fords, and all ways allow for a proper stopping distance, unlike some whom i have driven with and try to stop on the dot. Or maybe you have just been unlucky..
like i said it's nothing (or very rarely) to do with how it's driven, all it takes is running through a puddle with hot brakes, boom, done. I don't thrash my cars, the only one that has seen some heavy braking and mountain driving is my XR Turbo, and that's the only one that HASN'T warped.
Old 18-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #660
red_hotxr6
Banned

hey, fair enough..not trying to disprove, actually i wondered about the water on the open brakes/rotors when i was washing the car.
Old 18-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #661
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yeah all good just sharing my experience ;)

my dads BA XT (manual) had the rotors machined three times in 110,000KM and to give you an idea how he drives, he was still on the original pads at that odometer reading.
Old 18-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #662
red_hotxr6
Banned

Maybe it has to do with the brakes and the rotors being exposed as compared to the EL ghia,s having that shielding on them..
Old 18-08-2014, 08:01 PM   #663
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i had three EL Ghias, they all had warped brakes with the splash guards still on

my AU had them too, but the wheels are more open on mine so not the same really

my FG only had them on the back due to the front rotor size from memory
Old 18-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #664
red_hotxr6
Banned

See here we go again, i have had my el ghia for 2 1/2 years, 280,000 and no problems there at all, and the rwc said the brakes were at 88% when i bought it and still have them on..could it be the weather, like i am in qld???
Old 18-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #665
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i think you're just exceedingly lucky - but the rotors may have been changed on on your EL before you bought it
Old 18-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #666
red_hotxr6
Banned

True could have been too..
Old 18-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #667
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

either way, AUs are great cars so you should have minimal issues - if it has IRS and you have a knock in the rear it may need upper shock mounts, they're notorious in AUs with IRS too
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #668
red_hotxr6
Banned

from what i hear they are very good..and i will bear that in mind, get them checked any way..the rwc, didnt come up with that as a problem
Old 18-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #669
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Neither did mine but they were dangerously stuffed
Old 25-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #670
24NDR

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows a fix for the horn sticking. I have a 2001 AUII XR6. At the moment I have taken the horn fuse out, but when it is in the horn will go off by itself.
I did have a dodge alternator at the time, would this have affected it?

Thanks in advance.

Liquid Silver - 2001 AUII Tickford XR6
24NDR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #671
Spurious

Minor rust can develop under the rubber on the A pillar next to windscreen. Leaves etc... can fall on to roof, move to the gutter & get stuck on the way down.

Also having just removed my tailights I found a fair amount of hardened crap stuck under the top outer edge of the unit along with more of the same under the unit on the body with a trail between the 2.

Also when I repainted my car I removed the mud spats. In doing so I found a whole heap of dried up mud etc...jammed up in the sill behind the spat (behind the plastic sheath on the wheel arch). I left the spats off after repaint so I can regularly Karcher these areas.

The vent in the boot (left hand side quart panel behind plastic panel) had let in a whole heap of road dust.
With age the rubber flaps in the vent don't seal properly. So I wrapped the unit in some cloth (toweling).
I also found some open holes in the boot floor pan. Don't know why or what went through them but I blocked them up with liquid nails & some small squares of plastic.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #672
Dinoquad
Starter Motor

Well. I fixed it!
I mean, joining the dots afterwards is so much easier isn't it?
You would think that a simple blown top radiator could be just that hey?
Patch up and correct* fluid top up, on the side of the road, 10 kilometre easy run into a nearby town, pick up new hose, and coolant, fit it and everything would be good, wouldn't it?
* trickle the water in with the motor running. Yes, I have seen some destroyed motors before….
When it got hot, it developed a miss, but the miss was down low and intermittent, and I still had another 700 km before I got home, so I put up with it, and the devastating fuel consumption.
No oil in the radiator, no water in the sump, coolant wasn't getting lost, just #3 cylinder not firing and the occasional random miss from #4 & #5 cylinder, so, it could be worse.....

And the miss became angry by the time we got home. It would shake the doors at idle sometimes, but still overtake with ease. When I got back, I decided to replace the plug leads because they were old and that would be the obvious thing to do. $62 later,,,,,
Still missing. Same cylinders……Running better though.
Do a compression check. All good, real good in fact. Get a set of codes out of the computer. $14 is a bargain from Supacheap. Clear the cache and get the current issues. Coil pack. $72 Replace it. Rotten job it is too.
Still missing. Same cylinders….. Although it is running even better.
Hit the forums. Hmm?
Re-check the BIG book….
Ring a friend……
Talk to the dealer……..
Talk to another one……
This could confuse a genius, let alone a guy who has had as many head knocks as me!
And the guestimates is more than what the old ute is worth…..
They are obsessed with electronics and sensors and I am a bit challenged that way.
Stop and think!
This Ute ran well in winter, last summer it played up a little, the winter before it was good. The summer before I got it and gave it some TLC, but ran out of time and money concurrently.
A service fixed the roughness each time, but it wasn't as smooth as in the cooler months.
Heat related maybe? Possibly….
It has always been a bit sluggish and shy of torque quite low in the rev range, but rocketed in the mid and higher rev range when needed. Consumption around town wasn't impressive and on the highway it was reasonable but not exceptional. Others did better.
And sometimes it would idle would be a bit high, and sometimes the air con wouldn't blow where needed……
Maybe a intermittent vacumn leak would explain all that….
So I get a pot of water, start her up and start pouring water over vacumn hoses.
Nothing under the bonnet anyway.
And the ones behind the dash are a no go zone unless I am desperate.
So I start @ the inlet manifold gasket.
And there you go! Leaking at #3, 4 and 5!
New intake manifold gasket. $22. About 2 hours to fit. Made the coil pack look easy!
I have a diploma in being poor, and am working on my masters in poverty, but for less than two tanks of fuel, ($172 in total) the old girl is crisp, responsive and leaps at a wriggle of the big toe on the throttle.
But it is fixed!
Dinoquad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #673
red_hotxr6
Banned

Amazing what a little bit of persevering can do, and, you did it..lol/..
Old 18-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #674
TRAU BLAU

Nice one Dinoquad!Did it take long to change the inlet manifold gasket?Did you have to take much off?
Old 18-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #675
Dinoquad
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAU BLAU View Post
Nice one Dinoquad!Did it take long to change the inlet manifold gasket?Did you have to take much off?
Just the air tube from the air cleaner box to the throttle body, unclipped the spark plug leads from the 4 plastic holders on the tappet cover and then the 12 bolts on the actual inlet manifold. Oh, and the front bolt at the top shared the fastening for the front engine lift bracket with the thermostat housing rear bolt.

Both the head and inlet faces were very clean and the old gasket fell off in pieces, so I was fortunate. Two hours all up from getting the ramps out to packing them up.

Ratchet ring spanners and insensitivity to bleeding knuckles is required.
Dinoquad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post