Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 23-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Eb girl
Starter Motor

Default Yippie Im buying an XR4 BUT I NEED SOME HELP

Hey Guys

Going to buy a XR4 in a few weeks just waiting for a settlement.

Tell me have you guys or gals had any problems or issues with this car >

If so what ?

Can i get a 2009 model ? ----if not when do they get released?

What was the best price you guys got for a brand newie?

Can you get any upgrade apart from paint and stripes because my girlfriend told me they can give you tinted windows mats and a further extension on warranty

Any answers would be great just want to know before the sales people try and screw me over

Any tips when I go to buy one?
Regards
Ebbie

Eb girl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Jess85

i've had no major problems with mine..only gripe would be that the rear vision mirror tends to wobble and i have to push it back into place (held on by magnet type thing)
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Hi,

I noticed you posted this in the other thread so have left you an answer there...

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought mine in November last year, done 17,000km so far, no problems at all.

Paid $25,500 driveaway in Brisbane brand new, Red with Stripes, got genuine mats thrown in too for that price.

The dealer will do tint, paint protection or whatever else you want but it usually costs a fair bit from the dealer, your usually better off getting those things done after you got the car.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #5
Trog
Starter Motor

Smile

Hi,

Only had my XR4 for a month, I have "lost" two wheel trims, this is a common issue. Before you collect get dealer to check these, they should be quite hard to get off, requiring a screwdriver to (carefully) pry them off...

Apart from that I'm still grinning every time I drive it

Are there any XR4's left new? They stopped bringing in old Fiesta earlier this year to make way for the Ugly new one... which will not have an XR4 variant for the near future at least...

BTW have looked at and driven one of the new ones... Looks butt ugly, doesn't drive any better than current model, NVH is a bit better at freeway speeds, and dash looks like a left over from the last star treck film...

Glad I got one of the "old" XR4 when I could
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
husky510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog
Hi,

Only had my XR4 for a month, I have "lost" two wheel trims, this is a common issue. Before you collect get dealer to check these, they should be quite hard to get off, requiring a screwdriver to (carefully) pry them off...

Apart from that I'm still grinning every time I drive it

Are there any XR4's left new? They stopped bringing in old Fiesta earlier this year to make way for the Ugly new one... which will not have an XR4 variant for the near future at least...

BTW have looked at and driven one of the new ones... Looks butt ugly, doesn't drive any better than current model, NVH is a bit better at freeway speeds, and dash looks like a left over from the last star treck film...

Glad I got one of the "old" XR4 when I could
Shouldn't you have 17" mags instead of wheel trims??
Old 26-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky510
Shouldn't you have 17" mags instead of wheel trims??
Trog means the wheels centres - some have lost a few whilst driving down the road.i have been lucky as mine are very tight.
I took delivery Jan 2nd (bought myself an AWSEOME chrisse present) and have done a stitch under 25,000kms- so yep I love it.
Not a fan of the new ones myself, and as someone mentioned there isn't an XR4 in this range.
I'd suggest leaving the paint protection - tint is always cheaper elsewhere. Mats they will throw in if it seals the deal.

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
ansellpa

Paid $25 drive away, red with white stripes, tinted windows and a boot liner.
no problems with the car.
l drove everything, polo gti, swift sport, ralliart colt.
Fiesta was the best value/performance etc etc etc.
ansellpa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansellpa
Paid $25 drive away, red with white stripes, tinted windows and a boot liner.
no problems with the car.
l drove everything, polo gti, swift sport, ralliart colt.
Fiesta was the best value/performance etc etc etc.
I thought the Polo Gti was supposed to be the "ducks guts"?
Every review Iv'e read suggests it's a much better car than the XR4?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #10
ansellpa

Its all personal opinion.
Polo was certainly faster in a straight line, perhaps the best all rounder with equipment levels etc etc, but a few $$grand more,
For me it was no where near as entertaining to drive, felt softer and had little steering feel. These were the things that were important to me. Plus, I like the fiesta styling a bit more
ansellpa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
red_xr4
Starter Motor

To be honest, I don't think Ford are producing any more XR4's. My dealer told me they haven't had an XR4 in a few months and Ford aren't bringing any more in (of the current shape, obviously). The new Fiesta ST hasn't even been confirmed for Europe, let alone Australia, so even if it is produced, don't expect it here for at least 2 years.
Main issue with the car are two lost centre caps. I was stupid enough to pay for a new one first off, then realised whining to 13FORD resulted in a free replacement under warranty. Cold starts have been an ongoing issue with many XR4's. Simply solved by letting it idle for around 30 seconds.
red_xr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
mowog
Discovery 4

Cold start is an issue. Some people report aircon problems. My sons complain that the aircon blows hot sometimes, It never happens when I drive it. I think this is a how the car is driven thing.

My interior light switch broke... The fuel cap leaked (new cap fitted) and its currently jumping out of reverse gear? I think this has something to do with it running like a pig when cold.

Its going in for its 15k service next week.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post