Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #31
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wildtrak X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Does it?

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...anger-tow-test

That was with the PXIII vs the old clunker 3.2 I5

Curious on the test between the V6 and the TT 4 cylinder job,

There's no 'YMMV' - it's either tows equally as well or it doesn't and there is a review saying it doesn't.
I guess you can pick the eyeballs out of it using different reviews.

You sound like the bloke I've spoken to saying the Ecoboost doesn't belong in the Mustang, I'm getting that vibe.

2022 Ranger 2.0 BT towing review
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2023, 01:21 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
I guess you can pick the eyeballs out of it using different reviews.

You sound like the bloke I've spoken to saying the Ecoboost doesn't belong in the Mustang, I'm getting that vibe.

2022 Ranger 2.0 BT towing review
That test is nearly 1000kg less than what it's 'rated' for towing, I note that the test I linked to they had 450kg worth of stuff in the tub as well + the trailer.

I'll also note in another test I linked in here in another thread, Carexperts towing test, all the 4 cylinder utes failed the test.

ALL of them.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
That test is nearly 1000kg less than what it's 'rated' for towing, I note that the test I linked to they had 450kg worth of stuff in the tub as well + the trailer.

I'll also note in another test I linked in here in another thread, Carexperts towing test, all the 4 cylinder utes failed the test.

ALL of them.
Many people who tow big vans have no issue doing it with a 4 cylinder diesel, doesn't matter the brand (except for maybe the Navara lol). They do the job, but the bigger 6 will always be the better choice when torque is king.

Just remember going back to the 70's and 80's, when towing a couple of tonnes with a Falcon or Kingswood flat out making about 300nm from a straight 6 was the norm.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #34
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

ALL of them.
If I look at it another way- I want to buy a Ranger Wildtrak, want to 4WD but don't tow, well, I have a small trailer or a jetski, I still should be considering the V6? Point I'm trying to make is there is a market for the 2.0 BTD and it shouldn't be shot down in flames every time it is mentioned in a Ranger 4WD, sure, if you are truly towing big loads all day every day go the V6, I agree.
Old 31-03-2023, 12:55 PM   #35
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

IMO horse's for course's.....no point going on against it it suits others wants and needs.
No diff back in our Falcon days, 6 or 8 and there was always mine better or more suitable for eg.....
We got what we got Franco, you or I are not the customer.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2023, 02:15 PM   #36
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
IMO horse's for course's.....no point going on against it it suits others wants and needs.
No diff back in our Falcon days, 6 or 8 and there was always mine better or more suitable for eg.....
I think its a good debate and enjoy talking about it, I find it interesting amongst different generations.
Old 31-03-2023, 03:52 PM   #37
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Dont forget the big selling 4cyl falcon....
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2023, 05:07 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
If I look at it another way- I want to buy a Ranger Wildtrak, want to 4WD but don't tow, well, I have a small trailer or a jetski, I still should be considering the V6? Point I'm trying to make is there is a market for the 2.0 BTD and it shouldn't be shot down in flames every time it is mentioned in a Ranger 4WD, sure, if you are truly towing big loads all day every day go the V6, I agree.
The BTD is the V6s poor cousin, why even offer it as an option in a high spec vehicle?

To me they should simplify the range, BTD becomes the base engine and V6 is for the high spec vehicles (or optional on 'work pack' ones)

**** off the single turbo variant in the povvo specs.

I don't understand the mentality about people who want less
Old 31-03-2023, 05:13 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The BTD is the V6s poor cousin, why even offer it as an option in a high spec vehicle?

To me they should simplify the range, BTD becomes the base engine and V6 is for the high spec vehicles (or optional on 'work pack' ones)

Well plenty of people buy Hilux’s, paying top level prices for an inferior product. So understanding people’s mentalities is impossible.

Wheels barely rated it much better than the rubbish chinese utes, but at least they are cheap.
Old 31-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #40
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your not wrong. I order the V6D Wildtrak because it will be not only towing my 5m Plate Alu. boat but my SSV Redline to events like Powercruise once ive done with its build... Both heavy towing which the V6 is perfect for. If this wasnt the case, I would of 100% looked very seriously at the Biturbo with PP instead, and probably would of had the thing already...

I think its great we have the choice TBH....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2023, 06:40 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Your not wrong. I order the V6D Wildtrak because it will be not only towing my 5m Plate Alu. boat but my SSV Redline to events like Powercruise once ive done with its build... Both heavy towing which the V6 is perfect for. If this wasnt the case, I would of 100% looked very seriously at the Biturbo with PP instead, and probably would of had the thing already...

I think its great we have the choice TBH....
Except they both can tow 3500kg - but you still chose the V6
Old 31-03-2023, 07:50 PM   #42
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I m sure someone at a dealer or Fomoco knows better but I suspect the single turbo version is sold to fleet buyers.

For instance Gold Coast Council run a number of Ng Rangers suspect these would be single turbo.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #43
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

pretty sure 2.0L single turbo vs 2.0 bi-turbo is a $3500.00 premium. I can hear you now in relation to single cab 4x2 auto, instead of $36180.00 it would be $39680.00 plus on roads..but that is for another on going thread separate to this one.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:41 PM   #44
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Except they both can tow 3500kg - but you still chose the V6
Personally I think you'd be mad to regularly tow 3500kg loads with any Ranger type vehicle speaking as someone who has jack-knifed while towing.

While not listed in any spec sheet, towing ease and that more relaxed feel from the drivers seat between the two, V6 vs Biturbo, will always favour the V6 which must count a lot for overall driver experience and more relaxed driving while heavy towing. The more comfortable a driver is while heavy towing the safer they are.

Once towing over 2 tonnes the V6 has the towing ease that all competitors can only dream of including little brother 2.0 Biturbo.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2023, 10:56 AM   #45
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Personally I think you'd be mad to regularly tow 3500kg loads with any Ranger type vehicle speaking as someone who has jack-knifed while towing.

While not listed in any spec sheet, towing ease and that more relaxed feel from the drivers seat between the two, V6 vs Biturbo, will always favour the V6 which must count a lot for overall driver experience and more relaxed driving while heavy towing. The more comfortable a driver is while heavy towing the safer they are.

Once towing over 2 tonnes the V6 has the towing ease that all competitors can only dream of including little brother 2.0 Biturbo.
Out of interest what was the year make and model?
Old 04-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
pretty sure 2.0L single turbo vs 2.0 bi-turbo is a $3500.00 premium. I can hear you now in relation to single cab 4x2 auto, instead of $36180.00 it would be $39680.00 plus on roads..but that is for another on going thread separate to this one.
Is it not marketed as a premium vehicle? It certainly has the price tag to match as it's more expensive than the competition.

So why the single turbo 2L engine? Not befitting of it's premium marketing.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #47
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Out of interest what was the year make and model?
It wasn't a Ranger or even a Ford, it was a last of the series Mazda van which I think weighed about 1500kg and the towing load was about 1200kg which I think might have been at it's max limit, however it was woefully underpowered. So today when I tow loads (8x200L) including trailer of about 2200kg I also have about 900Kg in the van and enough power to make sure things stay under control.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #48
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ironically I have a base model dual cab single turbo Ranger as a loan vehicle as I type while having our Transit Custom Van serviced...haven't driven it yet...
Old 04-04-2023, 02:34 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

I agree with you, these 3500kg towing capacities are marketing bull**** - there's safety issues around pig trailers and tow vehicles which are lighter than what's being towed.

Also in Carexperts towing test with all the Thailand Specials, all the four cylinder heroes failed the towing test and everything sans the American utes were getting pushed around by a 2500kg caravan on the road test.

They need to promote gooseneck/5th wheel caravans and trailers once you start getting to 2500kg I reckon.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:31 PM   #50
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Ironically I have a base model dual cab single turbo Ranger as a loan vehicle as I type while having our Transit Custom Van serviced...haven't driven it yet...
Would really like to hear your thoughts on the single turbo 2.0 engine.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2023, 05:43 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Same here, all the reviews are on the BT or the V6
Old 04-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #52
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is it not marketed as a premium vehicle? It certainly has the price tag to match as it's more expensive than the competition.

Are you talking about the XL 4x2?
Old 04-04-2023, 06:00 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Are you talking about the XL 4x2?
I'm talking about the entire Ranger series from the povvo pack through to the Raptor, its priced higher than its competition, it starts at $36K vs $26K DA for the Hilux no?
Old 04-04-2023, 07:55 PM   #54
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I agree with you, these 3500kg towing capacities are marketing bull**** - there's safety issues around pig trailers and tow vehicles which are lighter than what's being towed.

Also in Carexperts towing test with all the Thailand Specials, all the four cylinder heroes failed the towing test and everything sans the American utes were getting pushed around by a 2500kg caravan on the road test.

They need to promote gooseneck/5th wheel caravans and trailers once you start getting to 2500kg I reckon.
Certainly agree re towing over 2.5 t with a ranger size ute.As far as crashing is concerned I reckon over 3 t it isn’t if it is more likely when.Have a mate who is on the road with his smaller gooseneck on a Colorado and he says nearly everyday the see a rolled over bigger caravan
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Certainly agree re towing over 2.5 t with a ranger size ute.As far as crashing is concerned I reckon over 3 t it isn’t if it is more likely when.Have a mate who is on the road with his smaller gooseneck on a Colorado and he says nearly everyday the see a rolled over bigger caravan
I reckon its a good thing, they should do it via legislation to force caravan manufacturers hands, given everyone has Thailand Specials these days its not a big deal to have a gooseneck/5th wheel hitch setup in the back of it.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:59 PM   #56
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Firstly I only dove it empty and for about 35km and my only experience with a similar engine is in our 2017 Transit Custom version which has 96kW/385Nm and a six speed auto.
This Ranger XL single turbo engine has the same specs as the current Transit Custom @125kW/405Nm and had 7000km on the odo.

First off initial impression knowing I was getting into the base model was, it’s high, has a strong side step…and once inside.. this thing DOESN”T feel like a base model. It’s obviously not a Wildtrak but you don’t see lots of blank plastic fillers which usually constantly reminds you of the missing switchgear found in the higher grade models. Yes the dash and trim surfaces are hard plastic but unlike motor reviewers, I don’t drive massaging my cars trim surfaces repeatedly. I prefer to receive massages from lovely, well trained professionals…This loaner had the full safety suite, reverse camera and sensors. I believe it also had auto brake to avoid a collision when reversing as well which in a commercial vehicle is an absolute must imho. Centre screen image was sharp with a fairly good quality picture and better than our Custom and Territory and maybe not quite as high a resolution as then screen in my Vito, but it’s only 8” so not this large either . A couple of times the front collision alert went off, not because I was in “Tradie Tailgate Mode TTM)” rather the idiots in front suddenly braked, indicated afterwards and turned left each time.

Seating position was quite comfortable, although a long drive will confirm this. The digital dash cluster is a surprising bonus and I could have the digital speed showing with a 4 panel trip computer to the right at the same time in the main centre section and then the fuel and temp gauges sat at the extreme right and left respectively. I don’t think the previous Ranger had this display flexibility. All were easily legible. The centre screen, while not the biggest in the Ranger range definitely is more than enough as it’s clear and sharp. I didn’t notice any screen lag however I was using my phones Waze App for navigation as there was not an inbuilt version. This Ranger grade uses the previous models auto gear selector, which is the same as our vans with the dumb buttons for manual selection…paddle shifters needed please here, especially when activating TTM.

No issue with Apple CarPlay although I plugged the phone in using a usb cable then later I noticed when playing with the vehicle’s settings in the centre screen there seems to be a wireless connection option available. Didn’t spot any wireless phone charging.

I felt the ride was better then I expected, not as smooth as a car but it was well planted, and it didn’t bounce around as much as I would have expected for a completely empty double cab pick-up body. Surely it will only ride better with a load in the back.

As soon as I got back into my Transit Custom it was louder, definitely not as refined or as smooth engine-wise as the Ranger and not as trigger-like on the throttle which in a back-to-back comparison is far better calibrated in the Ranger because it makes for a smoother drive.

Probably my best thoughts would be if I had the base model Ranger it’s a damn good vehicle, one that doesn’t hit you in the face as being the lower spec grade. Yes it costs more than the base models of it’s competitors but frankly if you can afford it and you will be in it for long periods then it’s extra money worth spending because it's a far better product.

I would try and buy a Wildtrak V6 because that’s me….and I can finance it through my work…etc…
However an XL Ranger single turbo for most work is more than enough. If you’re going to tow heavier loads regularly, in my opinion more power makes for easier/safer driving so the BiTurbo would be obviously better.

I did gun it once or twice, it's not a rocket, I expected that and it was empty but its not a slug either again in most situations would be ok unless you are starting to get higher payloads I'd assume.

You don’t lose driving a new gen XL Ranger….it’s a great vehicle, really well thought out by the local Ford people.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 04-04-2023 at 08:07 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2023, 12:11 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
I'm talking about the entire Ranger series from the povvo pack through to the Raptor, its priced higher than its competition, it starts at $36K vs $26K DA for the Hilux no?
Not exactly comparing apples with apples, as the base Hilux is a petrol manual. Price it with a diesel and auto and you get a similar price. In fact most of the Hilux range is pretty close to the Ranger in pricing. D-Max has moved up to a comparable price too.

It's the Amarok that is the one that is the most premium priced, being 3k or so more than the others.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:12 PM   #58
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Have you driven a current Ranger over a long period of time?