Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #2251
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Petrol Price crisis......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASWAGON View Post
Yes true, no wonder pump prices so high.
$135/barrel for Tapis show how corrupt oil cartels are when our petrol and diesel comes from Asia.
It really feels like we’re being played big time or is that against each other with such a massive
difference between 91ULP and diesel being roughly 50 cpl, anyone owning petrol cars knows
that it’s a bit high but is glad they don’t own a diesel, those poor people absolutely scalped…

If you could pick a point in time where oil companies began wounding their own sales, it would be now
when the world is on the cusp of a slow change to electric vehicles, this may speed the process..
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #2252
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not Happy Jan !

Last edited by GasoLane; 30-10-2022 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Seriously?
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #2253
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't particularly want to get in bed with Russia and China, I'd rather back the comedian standing up for his fledgling democracy (thats only really existed since 2014, not 1991) right on an authoritarian monsters' doorstep.

The irony that a comedian, voice of the Ukrainian Paddington bear and dancing with the stars contestant is one of the best politicians the democratic world has seen

The West could take some inspiration from that comedian and their people I reckon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2022, 02:51 PM   #2254
Gumboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The irony that a comedian, voice of the Ukrainian Paddington bear and dancing with the stars contestant is one of the best politicians the democratic world has seen
The West could take some inspiration from that comedian and their people I reckon.
I agree, but we know Putin made several unsuccessful Assassination attempts on him. As he has United Ukraine like never before and done a fantastic job in gaining western support but alas I fear that Putin may eventually successful. and if so that will be a watershed for Ukraine. Let’s hope Putin is not successful in that.
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #2255
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
There was a group in SA a few years back who teamed up with a chemical scientist or something and made a biodiesel processor which made high volumes of very high quality biodiesel out of tallow which is a waste product from our meat industry.

At one point Adelaide's metro bus fleet was running on a large percentage of biodiesel in Scania Euro 5 buses and had increased performance and lower emissions using this locally produced biodiesel.

Then the federal government made biodiesel an 'exciseable' fuel and killed it overnight because the price went up and everyone went back to petrodiesel, maybe worth revisiting?

Thats the words from his mouth, or rather fingers

I think its worth a revisit, given the current market we find ourselves in.
I'm bringing this back to the forefront - we have alternatives we can use in the interim between the transition to EVs, IE bio-fuels like ethanol and biodiesel.

Here's an extract from a member over at another community who has significant experience with biodiesel.

Quote:
One of the problems with Bio-diesel is that it is a generic term that is also often misused. Amateurs have used vegetable oil in older diesel engines (which works reasonably well) but this is not biodiesel and does produce more particulates as well as having a higher viscosity and the associated blockage problems.

Biodiesel itself is a broad term that describes the family of Mono Alkyl Esters which vary in properties depending on which fatty acid they are derived from. For example, Tallow methyl ester (which we made in Adelaide) has a very high energy density, high cetane, does not gel above 0degC, high lubricity, low viscosity and has lower particulate emissions than petro diesel. Canola methyl ester (which we also made but was expensive) has a lower energy density, high cetane, does not gel above minus 20decC, lower lubricity, lower viscosity and low particulate emissions. Palm Oil methyl ester (we did not make this but is made in indonesia) has lower energy density, low viscosity, does not gel above 10degC, lower cetane, lower lubricity and has low particulate emission.

Commercially made biodiesel is an extremely pure fuel which allows far higher engine performance than petro-diesel which we proved in trials with Adelaide's diesel powered metro trains and the new (at the time) euro5 Scania metro buses. The uniform molecular size and shape also means the lubricity of pure biodiesel is superior to petro diesel. (think synthetic oil vs mineral oil) A lot of this benefit is still seen at B20 (20% biodiesel). At B5, not much benefit is left.
His was made from tallow which is a waste product from the beef industry.

roKWiz here on AFF runs his fleet on 80% WVO/20% petrodiesel, he doesn't quite use biodiesel but he's got older trucks running on a higher percentage of WVO.

I'm not advocating we use WVO (waste vegetable oil) but we can go one step further and make biodiesel.

Surely its at a point where including the excise the federal government put on biodiesel its still worth it compared to paying $2.40/L?

Its easier to retrofit the existing fleet to run on E85 and biodiesel then it is to replace the entire 'car parc' with EVs.

LPG even at $1/L its hanging around is still the MVP of the light vehicle fuels too if you can still find it.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-10-2022 at 03:21 PM.
Old 30-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #2256
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone know the Diesel stocks are at in Australia or regarding the world situation !

Claims of USA could be running out in a month, but hang on we are not allowed to talk about such nowadays, I know.
But if any of you know or have a handle on such clearly. Or could you even say.
Diesel price will go up much higher than anyone would think in a months time.
Get set for what is to come, it will be another idiot disaster they have created for us to swallow.

Hope you can truly prove me wrong.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 07:56 PM   #2257
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Was gonna sell my Diesel before my new car arrives, but now i hear all potential buyers bleeting on about the cost of fuel to drive it i have decided to keep it...

We all make sacrifices
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 08:02 PM   #2258
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fische...ropsch_process

mmm coal (it's pricing is spiking too, however.) But we do have hundreds of years of the naughty stuff that's ripe for diesel
Old 30-10-2022, 08:08 PM   #2259
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fische...ropsch_process

mmm coal (it's pricing is spiking too, however.) But we do have hundreds of years of the naughty stuff that's ripe for diesel
This was the process the Nazi's used to supply their war machine with fuel when sourcing the crude, from the allies(yes, throughout the war the allies were supllying oil to them), wasn't enough.

A very energy hungry process as well.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2022, 09:04 PM   #2260
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Anyone know the Diesel stocks are at in Australia or regarding the world situation !

Claims of USA could be running out in a month, but hang on we are not allowed to talk about such nowadays, I know.
Get set for what is to come, it will be another idiot disaster they have created for us to swallow.

There is no shortage of fuel but oil companies here and in the USA are making it look that way to maintain high prices. After refineries closed down here, more storage tanks were supposed to be build but the government didn’t enforce minimum weeks of fuel supply.Once again, the government walked all of us into the slaughter pit of high prices…
Old 30-10-2022, 09:59 PM   #2261
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post

USA refines its own diesel, and you will find with some of the refineries doing maintenance their stockpiles have dropped due to demand for their oncoming winter, won't be much of a big deal for them.
I doubt very much our diesel imports will be affected since most of ours is imported from Asia.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2022, 01:10 PM   #2262
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
There is no shortage of fuel but oil companies here and in the USA are making it look that way to maintain high prices. After refineries closed down here, more storage tanks were supposed to be build but the government didn’t enforce minimum weeks of fuel supply.Once again, the government walked all of us into the slaughter pit of high prices…
Whether we have refineries or not or more storage tanks built makes no difference on prices of fuel since we all governed by the market price of oil.
Old 31-10-2022, 01:30 PM   #2263
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Whether we have refineries or not or more storage tanks built makes no difference on prices of fuel since we all governed by the market price of oil.
Yeah that seems to the problem.Why we can’t keep and refine enough of our own oil is something that myself and most other Australians cannot understand
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #2264
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah that seems to the problem.Why we can’t keep and refine enough of our own oil is something that myself and most other Australians cannot understand
Because its all owned by foreign companies, who don't want to invest in updating refineries for our small volumes - so they shut them down and go to super refineries in the region where they are more cost efficient.

The problem is when your government owns virtually ZERO infrastructure, you're at the mercy of corporate accountants, they don't care about critical infrastructure of Australia, they care about returns to share holders.

Moral of the story is don't sell your infrastructure in fire sales - we're in this situation because we're collectively idiots.
6 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2022, 04:30 PM   #2265
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Because its all owned by foreign companies, who don't want to invest in updating refineries for our small volumes - so they shut them down and go to super refineries in the region where they are more cost efficient.

The problem is when your government owns virtually ZERO infrastructure, you're at the mercy of corporate accountants, they don't care about critical infrastructure of Australia, they care about returns to share holders.

Moral of the story is don't sell your infrastructure in fire sales - we're in this situation because we're collectively idiots.
Sounds like a carbon copy of what's happening over the ditch here the four ugly sisters shut down our refinery .......as it's cheaper to import it .......lol

And speaking of infrastructure we have a 10 inch 30 year old pipe which supplies the whole of Aucklands fuel and jet fuel which is pumped all the way from Northland to Auckland lol .....when they put the pipe in more than 30 years ago apparently if they had increased the diameter by one inch they would have doubled the volume......but in true Kiwi fashion she'll be right we'll srt it out later .....Doh!!

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #2266
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
When Hawke & Keating opened up Australia's economy to the world followed by John Howard the big companies dictate where they want to set up business, cheaper for them to import rather than refine oil here, same reason why our car manufacturing industry collapsed here, same reason why our energy prices have skyrocketed.
People should understand how our economy fits in with world globalisation.

Cheers
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2022, 04:47 PM   #2267
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

My Favourite Barista at the BP next door informed me this morning 91 ULP will be $2.15 tomorrow and Diesel will be $2.60

So i topped both cars up today, but fair dinkum what a $*%ing joke !!
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #2268
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys View Post
My Favourite Barista at the BP next door informed me this morning 91 ULP will be $2.15 tomorrow and Diesel will be $2.60

How good is wild bean cafe

Yep it's $2.15/L for 91 here in Broadmeadows at the moment.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2022, 05:15 PM   #2269
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

If diesel does go up to that price, then your coffee beans and everything else will be on the increase, then I will be ordering my first ever electric car.
Old 31-10-2022, 05:42 PM   #2270
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Cool Re: Petrol Price crisis......

I will just have to fit a BIGGER turbo, moar boost needs less pedal = better economy

Old 31-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #2271
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Whenever we have tight supply, prices get pushed higher, regardless of the Tapis price,
having limited storage here makes it easy for the oil companies to keep pushing prices even higher.

Quote:

When Hawke & Keating opened up Australia's economy to the world followed by John Howard the big companies dictate where they want to set up business, cheaper for them to import rather than refine oil here, same reason why our car manufacturing industry collapsed here, same reason why our energy prices have skyrocketed.
People should understand how our economy fits in with world globalisation.

Cheers
So true, we allow our country be pushed around by multinationals telling us how it’s going to be. While its easy to
resign ourselves to that, the government never even tried to push back on what was done. As mentioned earlier in the thread, lots of opportunity to try alternate fuels here like bulk E85 transition like Brazil or Biodiesel but yeah, our government ran the other way anytime things looked too hard.

Just about every company has discovered that if they jack up prices, some customers will walk away but the majority will grumble and keep paying the extra upon extra.

Last edited by jpd80; 31-10-2022 at 09:53 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #2272
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I will just have to fit a BIGGER turbo, moar boost needs less pedal = better economy

Bigger turbo = more lag = more throttle needed to get a response = more fuel

I hear hot air induction might work. Less air less fuel

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2022, 02:00 AM   #2273
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:

So I topped both cars up today, but fair dinkum what a $*%ing joke !!
I was in a service station today waiting to pay for my fuel.

A lady in front of me in the queue was complaining about the price of petrol, while she cracked open a bottle of Evian mineral water at $3.10 for 750mL and sipped away.

Now that's a joke!

If I could get petrol out of my tap at home... I would not be standing in that queue.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2022, 11:11 AM   #2274
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I was in a service station today waiting to pay for my fuel.

A lady in front of me in the queue was complaining about the price of petrol, while she cracked open a bottle of Evian mineral water at $3.10 for 750mL and sipped away.

Now that's a joke!

If I could get petrol out of my tap at home... I would not be standing in that queue.
I dunno, I'm one of these bottled water people as well, tap water tastes like crap, I don't think she's buying circa 60L of bottled water at a time either though

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Whenever we have tight supply, prices get pushed higher, regardless of the Tapis price,
having limited storage here makes it easy for the oil companies to keep pushing prices even higher.

So true, we allow our country be pushed around by multinationals telling us how it’s going to be. While its easy to
resign ourselves to that, the government never even tried to push back on what was done. As mentioned earlier in the thread, lots of opportunity to try alternate fuels here like bulk E85 transition like Brazil or Biodiesel but yeah, our government ran the other way anytime things looked too hard.

Just about every company has discovered that if they jack up prices, some customers will walk away but the majority will grumble and keep paying the extra upon extra.
The only way you're going to get governments to do something about it is everyone who can work from home starts working from home, or start demanding fuel cards from employers - you want me in the office cause you have trust issues, then you're paying for my fuel.

Perfect time to start pulling these games too, plenty of businesses can't get staff - well they can they just don't want to pay the new rates

It'll put pressure on businesses inside inner suburbia/CBD, because you'll start starving inner city/CBD business of trade when no one is buying food and coffee and they whinge to the government, thats why state and federal government departments are trying to force their employees to come back to the office.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-11-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:41 AM   #2275
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saved $19 on a 50L fill this morning. Had $1.9x locked in for a week. It's $2.3x at most local servos now.

Went to lock in again after filling up and it found a $1.94.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 01-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #2276
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really is a joke now.

Interest rates going up again today.

And power/gas aswell.
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #2277
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Saved $19 on a 50L fill this morning. Had $1.9x locked in for a week. It's $2.3x at most local servos now.

The guys at TAFE are using VPNs to trick that app to spoof locations where they find the cheapest unleaded nationally.

Keep that in mind, might be worth trying out, a couple are doing this quite successfully.

Every time I've been to Adelaide their fuel has been significantly cheaper than Melbourne - could our SA members post their fuel prices in this thread? Maybe look into an Adelaide based VPN.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #2278
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The guys at TAFE are using VPNs to trick that app to spoof locations where they find the cheapest unleaded nationally.

Keep that in mind, might be worth trying out, a couple are doing this quite successfully.

Every time I've been to Adelaide their fuel has been significantly cheaper than Melbourne - could our SA members post their fuel prices in this thread? Maybe look into an Adelaide based VPN.
Hmmmm uni / tafe, where real life skills are learnt

Not sure how spoofing ip is going to work with the sleven app. Always thought it was done on GPS.

Rides (past and present)

Old 01-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #2279
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hmmmm uni / tafe, where real life skills are learnt

Not sure how spoofing ip is going to work with the sleven app. Always thought it was done on GPS.
They've got it working, I'm pretty sure its the 7/11 app, I'll chat to them tomorrow and see how they're doing it, I'm sure its with a VPN but I'll find out - you can still get rough location data from an IP address on a state/city level.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #2280
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Not sure if the 711 gives you a good deal with savings with that App since most 711's are not that cheap these days.
This year my local 711 servo would have to be one of the dearest for fuel in my area, would never go near them but my local Apco today is cheap with the price of 91 unleaded $165.9, $169.9 for premium unleaded.
My location Hoppers Crossing.