Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 02-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Default 6 speed manual & KB Blower

I have a couple of questions for anyone thats running a 6 speed manual with the KB Blower kit.
Have you had to modify the gearbox if so whats been done?

What type of clutch are you running?

what sort of life span are you getting?

Is anyone using a Malwood 6 speed as i spoke to him the other day and my first impressions were very good, my diff & 3 link is already built with 4:3:1 gears and he said 3:9:1 would be better but he can individually set each gear ratio to suit my diff ratio and make the 4:3's work.

Last of all can someone tell me the height comparison of the Boss engine with the KB Blower on top compared to the Boss motor with the standard engine cover & plenum.
From photos there doesnt seem to be alot of difference and i need to get an idea before i start cutting up my 67 XR Falcon's bonnet to make room for it to fit, i was looking at a photo the other day that gave me the impression height wise that i might almost get away with a shaker as the bonnet clearance, if so that would be sweet.

any help would be much appreciated

KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I can do a measurement if you like mate. I am running a Exedy 2800lb ceramic button clutch (from the Mal wood factory I think), it is holding up ok but I think my wheel spin with the 4:11 diff is helping to protect the driveline etc. I do not reckon a stock clutch will like the blower much. But a mate (Louithefly) is running a non intercooled KB with a stock clutch. But he does say he drives it like a baby.

I would reccomend a Texralia twin or a Typhoon twin as a replacement mate.

The gearbox will not be a problem mate. Plenty of Typhoons etc pushing out massive HP and mountains of torque. 5 speed is a different story.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
I can do a measurement if you like mate. I am running a Exedy 2800lb ceramic button clutch (from the Mal wood factory I think), it is holding up ok but I think my wheel spin with the 4:11 diff is helping to protect the driveline etc. I do not reckon a stock clutch will like the blower much. But a mate (Louithefly) is running a non intercooled KB with a stock clutch. But he does say he drives it like a baby.

I would reccomend a Texralia twin or a Typhoon twin as a replacement mate.

The gearbox will not be a problem mate. Plenty of Typhoons etc pushing out massive HP and mountains of torque. 5 speed is a different story.
yeah i dont think my 5 spped is going to last too long, i have a single plate tex clutch and i hope that it will last a while before i have to upgrade it
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

You should be ok Josh. My single plate Exedy seems pretty good. I have not beat up on it, but I have loaded it up and no slipping yet. Although wheel spin in most gears would be protecting the driveline a bit. I don't need to dump the clutch because thats what the blower is for.

Do you know what power have you ended up with or expecting Josh?

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

Here ya are. I have not got the plastic cover so you will have to remove yours to compare my measurement.

With the end of the ruler or tape on the flat surface of the head, next to the metal water pipe, to the top of my blower is 198mm.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
KBBossedXR

Thanks very much for your help
Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Not sure about the power mate but i will be able to tell you in a couple of weeks, i can now see the light at the end of the tunnel which is great news
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spoke to Pete from Tex the other week and he mentioned that he has a single plate out for the Fords that can handle around the 600rwhp mark including strip punishment which is more friendly than the twin plate ( a bit more tougher than the Z grip), the twin plate aint too bad on the street but not for the faint hearted and does get a bit of a rattle when its disengaged from the intermediate plate.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Good to hear Tex have something else, as that bit of a rattle is audible 20 metres away. Your car gets looks for all the wrong reasons :
Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #10
KBBossedXR

Due to the power set up of the Boss with a KB Blower this should increase life with the clutch as there is no need to build to many revs on the line before launch, so basically if you use a bit of nouse when you drive it the clutch should last, that sound about right.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
KBBossedXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Spoke to Pete from Tex the other week and he mentioned that he has a single plate out for the Fords that can handle around the 600rwhp mark including strip punishment which is more friendly than the twin plate ( a bit more tougher than the Z grip), the twin plate aint too bad on the street but not for the faint hearted and does get a bit of a rattle when its disengaged from the intermediate plate.

Could you please explain some more, for example is one a bit easier on the leg than the other.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Yes, Yes, please explain.
I spoke to Peter on Friday about replacing my Mal Wood for a Z grip and he didn't mention that there was a better one availiable.
He did say however, he could put a better pressure plate on with the Z grip plate that may handle more power.
05_ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 AM   #13
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit83
John,

The T-56 in the Typhoon/Tornado's has a 23 spline input shaft and is quite a bit stronger than the 10 spline input used in the Boss cars. Having said that, there are plenty of PD Boss cars making good power without issues.

Ultimatley, only a few shafts on Boss's have twisted at the strip, soooooo, you should be ok.... :

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #14
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBBossedXR
Is anyone using a Malwood 6 speed as i spoke to him the other day and my first impressions were very good, my diff & 3 link is already built with 4:3:1 gears and he said 3:9:1 would be better but he can individually set each gear ratio to suit my diff ratio and make the 4:3's work.
I have a custom built T-56 in my AU TS50.

I got Mal to build me a custom 'box with 26 spline input and 31 output for around the same cost as a new gearbox from Ford (dealer cost price) The gearbox is stronger than the factory gearbox and with the little driving I have done I am extremely happy with the lack of noise (running or rollover), shift feel and general operation.

Mal's option 5 clutch twin plate (organic facings) is too "grabby" for my liking but I am giving it the benefit of the doubt for now (too early to call yet).

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by copul8tr
Yes, Yes, please explain.
I spoke to Peter on Friday about replacing my Mal Wood for a Z grip and he didn't mention that there was a better one availiable.
He did say however, he could put a better pressure plate on with the Z grip plate that may handle more power.
Mate all he mention to me was he got access to some better disc's that he's been using on the ls1's and wasnt able to access the right size for the Fords untill now. Has a few Ls1's with 500+rwhp with that clutch and holding up well.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post