Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
bovva66

Default Interim service

I just got a reminder from dealer that it was 6 months since i bought the MA zetec, and they are recommending an interim service. It will be due for the 30K service about March next year, and is still running fine at around 24K, only driven about 8k since I bought last May. Is it worth doing the interim, or should I leave til the 30K in March/April. If I go with the interim service what is approx costs?

Thoughts anyone?

Old 30-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I just change my own oil and filter in between scheduled services, much cheaper and its peace of mind.

That is what I would do if I were in your position, no point handing over several hundred dollars for an oil change.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Bovva,

Isn't this one of those damned if you do (extra cost) damned if you don't (potential for warranty arguments) questions?

I view supplementary (interim) services as being useful if your car falls into one of the following use patterns:

1. Continuous stop start driving
2. High speed and heavily loaded use.
3. Large percentage of use in dusty conditions.
4. Large percentage of use towing.
5. Any combination of the above.

In all of these cases you are likely to get faster oil contamination and/or abnormal suspension component wear.

If non of these conditions apply to your use you are probably safe sticking to the 15,000 km or 12 month interval.

I had the oil and filter changed in our TDCi at the 3,000 km courtesy service. It cost us $130.85. I'm going to check the cost of oil when next in a BigW/Kmart to see what 5 litres of synthetic is worth, as the Dealer charge was $52.25 and the filter $33.52. One problem is what do you do with 5 Litres of used oil? We don't live close to a disposal centre.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 30-11-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Extra information
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

The dealer only has one thing in mind when recommending extra services - getting money out of your pocket into theirs. The scheduled servicing for your car is every 15,000ks or 12 months, whichever occurs first. Assuming your car was serviced at 15,000ks then you don't have to get it done again until you reach 30,000 or 12 months since the last service.

I get mine serviced by my local Ford dealer every 15,000ks. I am now up to 65,000 and have never had any mechanical problems with it. My warranty is perfectly fine because I have stuck to the maintenance schedule.

Just check your oil and fluid levels every so often and you should be fine. Don't waste your money on dealer services that are not required.
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Sorry to dig up an oldish thread, but I'm considering the same.

My TDCi has done about 9,000km now and we're thinking about a driving holiday later this month, Adelaide - Sydney - Melbourne return, so I'm considering an oil and filter change before we go.

Ryco doesn't seem to list an oil filter for the TDCi, and the stealer (=dealer, I love that term) quoted $45. There are a few filters on eBay from the UK for a very cheap price but I'm wary - has anyone tried one?

I think the 3,000km service was done around October '09 - so is the 15k/12month service due when the odo hits 15,000km, or 18,000km?

Thanks
Brenton
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
MR_LON
ORSMT5

the 3000 service is only a basic check, the dealer doesn't normally change the oil & filter unless you ask them to & then you have to pay for it. your next service will be at 15000 as per the schedule
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/c/service_kits_558/

There's the Mk4 service kits online from the UK.

I'd also check back with Ryco, they now do a filter for the XR5 so they may do it by now... Also genuine ford filters for the xr5 were pretty cheap so the TDCi may be the same?
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
warren77

Oh to be in the USA.
$15 for a 15 minute oil change and filter change.
Cheap enough that you could do it once every 3 months!
And I am sure there would be options to move to synthetic oil as part of the upsell process.

I look at my car - mostly city driving. Average only 11,200km / year.
(Just realized it is two years old today - 22,400km on the clock).
I would consider changing my oil at the 6 month mark if it was cheap and convenient. By me, I mean paying someone to do it ;)
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
http://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/c/service_kits_558/

There's the Mk4 service kits online from the UK.

I'd also check back with Ryco, they now do a filter for the XR5 so they may do it by now... Also genuine ford filters for the xr5 were pretty cheap so the TDCi may be the same?
OEM filter for the XR5 last time i bought 1 was $38.

MOND30 try a parts place like Bursons or similar and see if thtey can get a cooper filter, they make them for the XR5 & cost me $20
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Oh to be in the USA.
$15 for a 15 minute oil change and filter change.
Cheap enough that you could do it once every 3 months!
And I am sure there would be options to move to synthetic oil as part of the upsell process.

I look at my car - mostly city driving. Average only 11,200km / year.
(Just realized it is two years old today - 22,400km on the clock).
I would consider changing my oil at the 6 month mark if it was cheap and convenient. By me, I mean paying someone to do it ;)
I reckon there would be a business in doing cheap, fast oil changes. That price must be the lowest entry point, as the oil has to be disposed on properly these days, and not by the fence out the back.

I'd pay at least $60 for an oil change that included filter, oil and disposal.

I'm like you Warren77, crawled under enough cars to know I want someone else to do it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post