Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Considering Mondeo for next car

Hey guys,

I'm seriously considering a Mondeo for my next car. Models Im tossing up between the Ecoboost Titanium powershift, TD titanium PS, and XR5T. MB models on.

Price difference is pretty broad I've noticed. Seeing the MB XR5T being a bit cheaper etc.

A little about my needs and lifestyle:

Im not sure whether to go petrol turbo or diesel turbo. Not interested in N/A. My AU is supercharged at the moment and I still want that boost push in the seat.

I mainly do 90% city driving but dont want it to be a big fuel sucker either. I do about 25,000-30,000km a year.

I've heard the TD's may need software updates from time to time. Is this true?

I need the car to be classy, fun to drive but still be sedate enough to take the family to church on Sundays.

Its also got to have a sunroof, always wanted this. I dont mind the thought of auto or manual and the indicators being euro. Doesnt bother me as I adapt to things like that. The mrs wont drive it so no need to cater there as she has her own car.

Really not gonna bother with big mods. Probably happy to look at Bluefin chipping maybe. Probably interested in making sure it handles twisties. Will look into wheel upgrades too. Needs to carry my bike in the back in a push, will the hatches be big enough to do this? otherwise will look at a tow bar (not interested in roof racks, heard too many bad stories carrying bikes on roof)

What I'd like to know is -
* What is the paint like on these cars?
* How do they handle in windy roads? (i.e. are they floaty)
* Will my bike fit in the back (with front wheel on)
* Can you notice a big difference in performance between the XR5T and TD models?
* Are people getting the advertised fuel economy figures?
* Are these cars reliable?
* Is the manual a pig to drive in traffic?
* are there any auto gearbox issues to contend with in either model?
* have you had to get a lot of factory stuff done from warranty?
* Are all the electrics in these cars fairly reliable? (not after perfect, just reliable)
* What are the typical servicing costs like?

Other cars I have considered is a VW Golf GTi, Audi A4 turbo, Subaru Liberty GT, & Mazda MPS. I have already considered a Focus XR5T but just didnt like the interior color choices that came with, and the rear tail lights I didn't like. Pretty petty stuff, but things like that eventually bother me.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Considering Mondeo for next car

If doing city ... I'd go the EcoBoost if that's the case.
If you can hang out ... and have the opportunity to do so ... way for the next shape change.

Or if funds don't permit .... wait for the model change and get "the current model" which will be superceded.

Paint on these will be good ... anything Euro at the moment will be harder and more durable (better than Falcon ... and even better than Jap models).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

XR5T
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If doing city ... I'd go the EcoBoost if that's the case.
If you can hang out ... and have the opportunity to do so ... way for the next shape change.

Or if funds don't permit .... wait for the model change and get "the current model" which will be superceded.

Paint on these will be good ... anything Euro at the moment will be harder and more durable (better than Falcon ... and even better than Jap models).
Thanks mate. I am happy to wait till end of year. Im in no rush, but I thought it would be good to do some back ground research now so Im up to speed on what the latest is and what to look out for. Then Im better prepared.

I like the current models now. They remind me of the FG and look really modern without the fear of it being outdated. Ive been keeping an eye on a lot of car for many months now and it's only now that I thought it might be best to ask questions as time gets closer to a deal happening.

Again, I love the euro/jap cars, love the styling and build quality so I am really looking to stick to this point of the market. I had a 01 Subaru Liberty wagon for 3 years and loved it except the lack of power was a massive thorn in my side so I sold it for the AU to do some interstate trips. Dont need to do those trips any more now so the need for a classier, more refined car is required to do the things I need it to.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
XR5T
haha. I knew you'd chime in Dallas.

I like the XR5T's. They are a sporty car and the note of the engines is sublime. The only thing that concerns me is the fuel consumption.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

We have a Titanium EcoBoost. A great car, much firmer and less body roll than our previous BA Futura, but too firm to ruin long distance comfort or ride. I have a dislike for diesel, and after driving one, decided EcoBoost was the way to go. Very strong engine, like a steam train when on boost. The powershift gearbox is probably the worst part of the car though. Smooth on the move, fast shifting and good for economy, but shunty at low speeds compared to a proper auto. We are getting 9.2L per 100km at the moment, and thats 100% low speed town driving. The only other thing is that the EcoBoost is rather characterless to listen to, and this where the XR5T would come in. That cars engine makes a nice warble, and could be a swaying point for you. Either way, you will be getting a really nice car for a great price and plenty of features. A very under rated car the Mondeo!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks for that feedback mate, thats the type of stuff Im looking for.

I have to admit I am steering towards the XR5T for the thrill factor alone. Plus they still look classy interior wise to me. Does anyone know if they have similar features to the titanium and if not, what is fundamentally missing?

I went in my mates 09 Focus XR5T a few months ago and I was very impressed with the note the 5cyl volvo motor makes in stock format. Plus its really boots even with 4 people in the car. It was pretty cool actually.

At the end of the day, Im not after a 1/4 king or to have 2billion kilowatts but the car must be able to haul well from standstill to 60kph and do a decent time 0-100kph. I already know the XR5 Focus is faster than the XR5 Mondeo which doesnt concern me as I want something thats a little bigger and still cater well enough to fit 5 people.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Remember Shav the Mondeo XR5 will never be a Focus XR5 in regards to performance (Im sure your aware and you mentioned that) but they are oh so nice inside, still bloody awesome to drive and brilliant for a long distance drive.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you can hang out to 2013:

New Mondeo

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Remember Shav the Mondeo XR5 will never be a Focus XR5 in regards to performance (Im sure your aware and you mentioned that) but they are oh so nice inside, still bloody awesome to drive and brilliant for a long distance drive.
Oh for sure mate, again Im after the fastest car, just something that is able to tick all the boxes that Im after. It still needs to be fun to drive, cater for my lifestyle, able to cruise around comfortably and still look cool while doing it. At the end of the day there will always be someone quicker, so Im not gonna compete there.

Interior features and style need to be there, (I really want that sunroof ) and it still needs carry things like my bike, shopping etc.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

New Mondeo

That is a sexy model mate, I remember seeing that in the other Mondeo thread a little while ago and thought, WOW. But it may be pushing my budget a bit far and I would rather buy second hand new rather than new new if you know what I mean to avoid the initial kick of the depreciation loss.

Just to confuse people, I have also considered a 2009-10 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart hatch as a possible contender. Plenty of features in that car and fairly quick from what I have read.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

New Mondeo

I am very keen to upgrade my XR5T to one of these. But it needs to deliver more than my XR5T. It will be a hard ask. The XR5 is a tough act to follow.

I hope an auto will be available across the entire range.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I am very keen to upgrade my XR5T to one of these. But it needs to deliver more than my XR5T. It will be a hard ask. The XR5 is a tough act to follow.

I hope an auto will be available across the entire range.
I dont mind auto, have had auto cars in all cars I have owned but 1 which was my first ever car. Good ol 1975 Honda civic. haha. I think it might be time to get back into a manual and start enjoying some driving again for a change.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Im really like the look of something like this
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/ford-mondeo-2010-12588478?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

If only i could find some pics of my mates white MB XR5 Mondeo, ill keep searching
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
If only i could find some pics of my mates white MB XR5 Mondeo, ill keep searching
Id appreciate that mate, it may help my decision.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Heres a couple

- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Hrrm that looks nice.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Shav you seem to be in the same position as me..Im after a new sedan/wagon by the end of the year.

Mondeo is on the list, so is a quattro B7 A4 and a Gen4 Liberty.

Same as you fuel consumption is important, because if its in the 13-15 range then I might aswell buy a Falcon. Looking at the $20-25k range I guess, must be manual and fit three baby seats in the back..not asking much am I..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
JimStone

Replaced my Tickford optioned '99 update AU Fairmont Ghia with a new MC Zetec Ecoboost Powershift in January, clocked up 7k so far. Has all the kit the AU had and more - even tows my 6'x4' trailer better than the AU. Seating position is a little different to the AU -you sit bit further forward on a slightly longer wheelbase. OK when driving, but tricky to get use to when parking and manouvering at slow speeds.

Only two issues I have experienced.
First - it took a while to get the drivers seat into a comfortable position - the anti whiplash plate at the top of the seat sits right in the middle of my shoulder blades. In the end I fitted some preimium sheepskin seat covers that fixed the problem for me, but I am 6'4" tall and 125kgs.
Second, didn't like the stock alloys, but that was easiy fixed.

In answer to your questions;
Verry good, comprable to anything from the other european stables
In the dry it sticks like glue - considerably tighter than my old Tickford equiped IRS AU Fairmont Ghia. Titanium with the sports suspension would be a little tighter is the handling dept, but in my opinion the Zetec on 18"s with 40 profile is quite a good compromise. In the wet - can be a little tricky at times if you dont treat it with respect; large, torquey front wheel drive and wet roads make for interesting times.....
Fair chance - when I fold seats down I can lie down diagonally across the load space - I'm 6'4" (196cm) tall....
* Can you notice a big difference in performance between the XR5T and TD models?
Don't like how oilers drive, nicer power delivery from the ecoboost - want the steam train push without the steam train sound track
Currently 9.0 combined, but still only 7k and a little spirited in driving style
All indications are they are bullet proof - thats why I bought one
Did not try driving the manual
Can not fault the Powershift
Nothing so far
* Are all the electrics in these cars fairly reliable? (not after perfect, just reliable)
No common problems after extensive research - none personally either
Ford fixed price servicing
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

I love the wife's MB Mondeo XR5. Great car to drive. Goes nice shuffling through the gears, and has all the appointments that the MB Titanium had. I just don't get to drive it enough. I was always going to get a Diesel, but it had to be a Titanium for the niceties. Then this XR5 come up in a yard locally at a great price, so I jumped at it. The heated seats sold it for the missus!
Yeah it might cost a bit more to run than a diesel. Running 12.0l/100km average, but that's all around town, cold start/short drives. Still so much better than our previous car, (Escape V6.) Now I'm getting ideas about modding it. Intake, Exhaust & Tune. I'll get myself in trouble with the wife.
Mmmm, some of those LV rims painted the same colour as the MB "spear" rims would be nice on ours too
Old 09-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks guys. some great feedback so far.

Thanks for answering my questions too Jim. that's excellent to hear and its really helping me make a decision.

I also like the fact the mb xr5t is the last of its model giving it a bit of a rare nature. probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else and it may sound a bit elitist but it feels a little exclusive which appeals.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Come on Shav, you know you wanna do it.

All I can say is I'm very pleased with my Zetec

As for boot space, here you go

And here's Brad in the back showing just how much room its got
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
Mickmelb

I've got a MC Titanium diesel. The bad news is you are going to be rather disappointed with the power coming for a supercharged 6. The good news is you will love the handling its way better than the last of the BF Fairmont Ghia's I replaced with this. I get a fuel report every month and average around 7.2 or so (45000 a yr mainly city). All the toys in it are great and make up for the lack of power like when your tired and on your way home in peak hour freeway set the cruise control and let the car slow down and speed up for you or the lights that turn with the steering etc. No idea on service costs as I don't pay but the tyres have a very high rating,98Y, so expensive to replace. The only issue I had was brand new 1 of the blind spot indicators didn't work which was fixed at first service. The auto isn’t as smooth as the Fairmont's at low speed but that's typical of any dual clutch auto most people probably wouldn’t notice. Bottom line its light years ahead of the falcon.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #25
manamp27

Hopefully the following helps your decision....

After nearly 7 years with my Subaru Liberty 3.0R sedan, a month ago I took ownership of my silver June 2011 Titanium Diesel hatch with 6,000km. I bought it from a Ford dealer for $35K plus another $1.5k for tints, reverse camera and boot mat, 6 mths rego and 5 years factory warranty. It had previously been a Ford motor company exec car with supporting paperwork.

The Liberty was a brilliant car with not an issue in the time I had it, other than it being thirsty. Powerful 6 cyl with handling, style and luxury. The car prior to this was a BA Falcon XR6 that had 40 warranty issues in the 18mths I had it and made me swear off Fords forever.

When it came time to upgrade the Liberty, I needed a little more space for the family (2 young kids) and relative amounts of power, handling, looks, reliability. I considered the following current petrol cars:
Mazda 6 - nice, but not nice enough and slow
Accord Euro - really really nice, but no torque
Forrester - Plenty of grunt, feels and sounds like a tractor
Jetta - built cheap and expensive to run
Lancer - cheap, really cheap
Focus - too small

On a whim while driving past a Ford dealer I test drove mondeo titanium ecoboost and was sold in the first few metres. The feel of the car was outstanding; solid. Quality appointments, comprehensive kitted and unsurpassed value for money. And it had lots of go and handling. It put all of the above cars to shame.

The downside was resale, but on the basis that I will hang on to the car for 6 years and that current mondeos seem to be gaining a better reputation, I figure it won't be such an issue. I was also worried about the all-new model next year. But the current mondeo is such a handsome car I don't think it will be an issue. Aslo, the new one will be even bigger than the current model, which is too big for me.

I decided then that this is the car I want and that I would buy near-new to limit the loss in depreciation. However, near-new Ecoboost mondeos are either hard to come by or overpriced, so I test drove a diesel which are more easily available.

Diesel is very different and there are some compromises. The Liberty is a real flier of a car, but everything happens over 3500k revs. Down low it has no torque.

The mondeo diesel on the other hand has loads of torque down low but there's no point revving it past 3800rpm. It's super smooth and deceptively quick since its never revving. It's no traffic light racer because there is a very slight hesitation on take off. You do have to adapt your driving styling. But the upside is that the torque is always on tap once moving, and this immediate torque is very addictive. I love driving this car.

So first preference was petrol, but diesel is a very close second and I am really enjoying it. There's pros and cons vs the ecoboost, but it's a superb motor and has a decent growl when driven hard. The only time you know it's a diesel is when the windows are open and at idle. And there's brilliant fuel economy. 6L/100km on the freeway, 8L in the city. The liberty did 9L and 17L respectively.

The handling and ride are first rate and the car feels very euro. Tight direct steering. But it is FWD and so you need to respect it in the wet, especially compared to the AWD liberty.

It's a big car with huge interior space and boot. Visibility is poor, particularly for my wife, so I had a reverse camera fitted with a rear view mirror that transforms into an LCD display when reverse is selected. Works perfectly and in conjunction with the parking sensors, is foolproof.

The seats are superb and very very comfortable. I can't believe that they are not fully electric though. Only the driver's seat offers electric height adjustment. This was almost a deal breaker for me, but I'm very glad it wasn't.

The hatch is also huge and opens higher than my wife could reach, so the dealer fitted a custom strap that hangs down for easy reach.

The features of the car are immense. Adaptive cruise is very cool; awesome awesome awesome sound system, blind spot radar, dynamic headlights that follow corners, as well as auto high beams that turn themselves on/off, keyless entry and fantastic powershift auto which is super smooth and intuitive.

To answer your questions:
No problems
Great, no float and comparable to AWD liberty (not in the wet)
Yep, should.
About 1 second difference 0-100 for ecoboost vs diesel, not sure on xr5.
Yep
So far. Current model seems to have a great reputation.
Don't know
Mine is excellent and the best auto I have driven
Zero and I hope it stays that way
As above
Ford fixed price servicing, cheap

In the end, the current mondeo is a great car. Ecoboost or diesel, you won't be disappointed. Did I mention the awesome sound system.....
manamp27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

You blokes are making it hard for me to refuse these cars. I'm loving the high tech specs and positive reviews.

my supercharged falcon is good but its not mind blowing and has its fair share of idiosincracies to contend with as well. main reason I want to upgrade is I need something newer, can get up as quick to speed limit but still bring home frugal economy. not expecting it to run on smell of oily rag but anything under 10l/100km combined is decent in my eyes considering I have been used to 16l average.

I think I might have to pop into rikstas place and put my bike in his car to get any idea and see for myself if it will work.

when I was checking out riksta car though I had to admit it was very smooth and nice with well appointed features.

I think my tastes are changing of late. I'm not using all the power I have in the au now and I'm kind of driving more like a grandpa. I get my speed thrills from my bike now and am spending less money on the au which to some degree is better for the wallet.

Bottom line I don't want to make the same mistake like the liberty in getting a great car but settling for substandard power and regretting it later. the car or in this possible case, the mondeo will need to provide new thrills from factory without immediate mods, better than what I'm used to economy, ability to suit my new hobby and still do it all in class, reliability and comfort.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 10-05-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #27
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Ok ...my turn.

Jul 2010 went from family wagon Subauru Outback GX (electric everthing but no sunroof) to and MB XR5T. And recently moved out of a 88 Prelude (stolen actually). So that's my previous choices which say something about my needs.
Previous also Telstar 1987 TX5 Ghia (noice!!), 1980 Honda Accord (what bends?) + 74 Falcon (great heater) + 67 Falcon (first car).

Choices for brand new car: (Manual gearbox mandatory)
Mondeo XR5 - purchased
Falcon XR6 , outclassed by Mondeo
Mazda 6 - only diesel driven
Liberty Gen5 - no test drive taken
(Lancer and Focus too small for four adults and luggage, Honda Euro no hatch or wagon)

Mondeo XR5T
Interior
- oozes upmarket feel.
- nice tactile surfacing from vinyls and 'nuff' leather....
- Rejected Gen5 Liberty as too plasticy (no test drive req'd).
- Rejected Mazda6 as all black shiny leather in Sports model (aka sunroof) and too hot in Oz climate (seats won't breathe) and actually felt a bit claustrophobic.
- Only XR5 gripe is the somewhat odd dial arrangement due to LCD screen.
- Heated front seats are great here in CBR.

Exterior
- understated style IMHO.
- Looks different to others without being confronting like the Mazda6.
- Subaru Liberty...takes ugly pills each day.

Engine
- The 2.5T Volvo motor pulls hard from 1500rpm with linear delivery. No windup needed to get into the torque zone - turbo effect here - and I rarely go over 3000rpm (just no need!!). Mazda6 turbo diesel I drove was manual and you had to keep changing gears due to narrow rpm range, and was almost chosen but lost out in the end.
- nice muted growl if you want to find it up the rev range

Economy
- 34000kms @ average 8.8km/l (would be higher living in SYD / MEL) . Usage is mostly around town with 500km highway trips every 3 months on average.
- 600-650kms from a tank around around town
- 900kms on the highway

Drive Experience
- very comfortable and quiet.
- Much better now with Yokohama c-Drive tyres rather than the hard-walled no-wet-grip OEM Continentals.
- Can hussle thru the windy bits or just relax back on cruise on freeway with the stero on vol.12.
- more than adequate performance if you want it.

Luggage - 528lt from memory., slightly bigger tham Mazda6. effff'in huge boot. Luggage roof box we used on Subaru is still sitting the garage unused.

Issues
- factory 'delete option' for boot light light bulb. Fixed at 3000Km courtesy check.
- rear bumper rubs on hatch following install of towbar before delivery. Noted at 3000km service, and will get fixed before warranty expires.

- Interior ambience, and luxury feel. Bargain at the price.
- the drive,(Try spending two weeks in a rental Camry auto after one of these..ugh!)
- the economy for such a big car. How does 900km CBR to Port Melbourne without a car refuel sound? Only people refuel and pitstops reqd.
- the huge boot.
- iPod connectivity wuith cheap aftermarket adapter cable. Don't use 6-cd staker anymore
- sunroof
- heated seats
- rear air vents
- parking sensors, help to overcome extremity visibility issue
- turning auxiliary headlights
- MB XR5 leather/alcantara velour seats with contrasting red stitching. MA XR5 has seats like in current MC Titanium (leather/alcantara/grey stitch)
- global auto open/close from remote key - opens/closes all windows and roof
- deadlock security on doors - press remote 'lock' twice so thieves can't open the doors at all (even from inside)

Dislikes
- too many things that go bing bing bing.
- bit hard to estimate edge of car in multi-story car parks i.e.read scared for paintwork
- brakes feel spongy despite a brake bleed and visit back to dealer ("All the same")
- expensive wheels @ $880 ea - keep away from gutters!!!!
- can't turn off anti-collision radar (that takes over when you don't want it to) without losing your cruise control altogether. (anyone know of a software fix?). And it doesn't hold the Forward Alert distance between ignition off/on.

Improvements for next model?
- All wheel drive
- little bit more oomph. 200kw? (over current 164kw)

By comparison...
A mate has an BA Falcon XR6T. He likes driving the Mondeo, I can pass on the Falcon. Falcon is quicker in a straight line but feels less refined, and with driveline shunt.

Would I buy another one?
....would very seriously consider
.......but Ecoboost is auto only, give me old-skool 3-pedal manual pls.

Now for your decision ......
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

And now you can get a normal station wagon too...with an even bigger load space.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #29
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

@JimStone - your wheels look great. What make and size, and where from?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

sensational review there Allan. That's some good feedback right there. Thanks for taking the time to write that mate.

It's great to see some real world reviews that aren't necessarily biased but are honest and open minded.

It seems to me that the Mondeo be it the TD or XR5T is a class vehicle that seems to provide equipment levels akin to high spec, triple priced elite branded cars out there. FoMoCo sounds like they have done awesomely with this model.

I remember seeing the Mondeo being released in 2008 at the Adelaide motor show when they used to have it and thought WOW, this car looks classy and seems to sport all the latest mod cons. Never did I think I would ever get the chance to consider one seriously until recently.

I am a person who likes to read reviews, check out what others say be it positive or negative so I can be aware, and not get surprises or sales persons looking to pull the wool over my eyes.

Based on the current feedback given so far, I have some minor concerns.
- blind spot and C pillar vision. Is this really that bad?
- turning circle. How bad is bad and is it similar to the AU sedan?
- Brake feedback. Im used to the AU giving me good pedal pressure, are their brake upgrades available?
- Is torque steer a huge issue or just when its wet? Will fitting better & improved shocks help?
- Does the car fit 5 adults with relative comfort? My Liberty was a squash, is it better than that?
- What is the insurance premiums like with these cars?
- Positive and negative feedback on using 95ron fuel if required?

Areas that have been answered that I can cross off the list:
* What is the paint like on these cars? Seems like the quality is pretty high up there.
* How do they handle in windy roads? (i.e. are they floaty) Doesnt seem like it will be a boat and am looking forward to testing the limits within reason.
* Will my bike fit in the back (with front wheel on) I reckon I'll be ok, I may need to add a tow bar but going by the pics, and estimated lengths it should fit ok.
* Can you notice a big difference in performance between the XR5T and TD models? Fun driving performance that is great from factory is what Im after. Seems like the XR5T provides this and more.
* Are people getting the advertised fuel economy figures? I gotta be realistic with this and accept that it will be based on the way I drive more so that the car itself, but if I can get better than 16L from the AU, it's got to be good.
* Are these cars reliable? I haven't read a review stating otherwise yet.
* Is the manual a pig to drive in traffic? Seems like the clutch is manageable.
* are there any auto gearbox issues to contend with in either model? Hard to tell but the auto sounds decent except from the replies of low speed clunking. That's a bit of a worry.
* have you had to get a lot of factory stuff done from warranty? Good to hear nothing major.
* Are all the electrics in these cars fairly reliable? (not after perfect, just reliable) Sounds like its ok.
* What are the typical servicing costs like? Fixed price servicing is good. I hope I can use my current mechanic for servicing rather than Ford though.

I know you can't always take every single review as gospel and I don't, but reviews like Allan's, manamp27, JimStone, and all those who have already commented and added pictures, and have spent the time to explain and offer good advice, make it a pleasure to read and to want to check out a car and put a bloody deposit down right now! LOL

I'll just quickly fill you in on my physical height and weight. I weigh about 80kg and am 5'6", and asian. Not that the last means anything, but I can fit in almost any car due to my body size. My upper torso is a bit longer than my lower but I tend to have the driver seat a bit further back with a bit of a recline for back comfort. I also tend to rest my arm on the door sill a lot. Can I still do this comfortably in the Mondeo?

Please keep the reviews and comments coming. I enjoy reading every bodies view point.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont