Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
Cralis

Default Maybe getting MY17.5 Trend Wagon

Hi all,

I am looking into getting a Diesel Trend Wagon MY17.5. It's a Sept 2017 build. I see the rated combined fuel consumption is 5.1l/100km. I know that's probably a pipe dream, but what sort of consumption should I expect. A highway maybe on weekends, but most driving is residential.

I test drive a titanium hatch - all very nice... But a Ford far far away has a deal I prefer on the trend. And I prefer a wagon due to kids and our lifestyle. Is there a big difference between the titanium and trend? I'm guessing a trend wagon drives similar to a titanium hatch?

And are there know issues that need to be looked at ASAP on the MY17.5s?
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Maybe getting MY17.5 Trend Wagon

I'm getting 6.5L per 100kms at a average speed of 47kms. It has had that for 50,000kms. On a long run to Melbourne from Sydney I see mid 5s. I drive it hard and the a/c is always on. I used to use my FGG6ET on the same run and it was 11.5 for a average speed of 47kms on 98.
Only issue with mine has been the interior hasn't stood up well. My steering wheel has peeled twice from the sun and the drivers door trim where I rest my arm is showing a lot of wear. Ford will be replacing both at the 60k service.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
Cralis

Thanks. Those are pretty good figures for the size of car. Pretty promising. Thanks. Pity about the interior. Is that happening a lot? I see a few complaints about Sync3. Hopefully they get ironed out.
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Old 13-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
DougalXR6

I've owned my MY15.75 Trend Ecoboost hatch for two years and the interior still looks as good as the day I drove it out of the showroom.

Don't dismiss the hatch completely as I'm still amazed at what I have carried in the car when the back seat is folded down.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase!

Last edited by DougalXR6; 13-12-2017 at 03:16 PM.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have spoken to my local dealer and a few cars door trims on the drivers side have considerable wear if you rest your arm there. we have 6 at work and mine has the most Kms 50k and 3 have wear on the door trims and 3 don't but they don't usually rest there arm on the door trim . 3 have peeling steering wheels. Ford have said its from the sun when you get in it melts so when you grab the wheel it strips it. I have a fgg6et with 120k on it and the interior in that is like new , the Mondeo hasn't faired as well. I wont be renewing to a Mondeo in 20k I will be going a Passat which is much better.
Old 13-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
I test drive a titanium hatch - all very nice... But a Ford far far away has a deal I prefer on the trend. And I prefer a wagon due to kids and our lifestyle. Is there a big difference between the titanium and trend? I'm guessing a trend wagon drives similar to a titanium hatch?
Did you test drive the diesel or petrol Titanium hatch? Because they would drive differently. I've driven the diesel Trend hatch and I personally found it a bit sluggish. Maybe I'm just too used to the power from the petrol engine, though.

There are some equipment differences between the Trend and the Titanium. Additional kit in the Titanium include dynamic LED headlights and LED daytime running lights, blind spot monitor, lane keeping assist, park assist, panoramic sunroof (that can be opened in the wagon, fixed glass in the hatch), full leather (instead of leather/suede in the Trend), digital instruments (analogue in the Trend), mood lighting, and 3-mode adaptive suspension, Sony sound system. There may be more that I've missed. If you can live without those, then the Trend will suit you fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post
I've owned my MY15.75 Trend Ecoboost hatch for two years and the interior still looks as good as the day I drove it out of the showroom.
Likewise in my Titanium Ecoboost hatch. Interior is still good as new after 24,000kms. OP - personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Look after the car as best as you can, and it will last - use a reflective sunshade when parked in the sun to protect the interior, and/or buy interior protection packages from reputable detailers (not the dealer).

That being said, unlike gsd112, I don't rest my arm on the door trim, which may be a contributing factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post
Don't dismiss the hatch completely as I'm still amazed at what I have carried in the car when the back seat is folded down.
I would echo this as well. The hatch is deceptively large and can store a lot of things in the boot too. I've never been wanting for more boot space.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 13-12-2017 at 11:51 PM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #7
Cralis

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I've settled on a Trend Wagon 17.5 (Sept build) in silver. The Titanium was out of budget. But I think the Trend has all I want. I think the Trend does have that lane departure thing, but might be wrong. I might miss the sunroof a bit, but .. I think I might get over that. And that digital dash looked very nice in the Titanium - but. .. the cost was prohibitive.

I'll use the sun protector. QLD sun is pretty strong!
Old 14-12-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Mondaveo

Trend definitely has lane keeping assist (I test-drove a MD Trend hatch before ultimately deciding to buy used MC). It might also have blind-spot alert, ACC and AEB - they've been pretty good about the trickle-down of active safety tech from the high-end model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Cralis

Blind spot alert would be great! I think the thing I would miss the most from the Titanium, is the auto boot.. because I have 3 small kids ... who don't know the difference between slam, and close.

Anyway, here's my new baby sitting waiting for me to fetch him/her on the weekend maybe...

4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Blind spot alert would be great! I think the thing I would miss the most from the Titanium, is the auto boot.. because I have 3 small kids ... who don't know the difference between slam, and close.

Anyway, here's my new baby sitting waiting for me to fetch him/her on the weekend maybe...

The MY17.5 update certainly looks great with the new wheels. I also like the new colour on the Titanium next to your car.

Congratulations on the purchase.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
Womble99

Congrats on the new car. We are looking at a titanium hatch ourselves at the moment. Is that the new metalicious colour on the one next to yours? We haven't seen one in the flesh so to speak yet and was wondering what the colour actually looked like.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Womble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

Looking good and congratulations.

The Mondeo is a very underrated car. The wagon also makes a very well considered family car, certainly better value for money than similarly priced SUV's. Enjoy!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #13
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely get a sun shade for the windscreen and one of those steering wheel covers. I forgot to put mine on this morning and when I came out of work at 230pm at 43 degrees my steering wheel had a big blister the size of a 10cent piece. Took it straight to Ford to show them and they laughed I was the second car today, one of the new ones on the lot had blistered. I get a new wheel Monday.
Old 14-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #14
Womble99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd112 View Post
Definitely get a sun shade for the windscreen and one of those steering wheel covers. I forgot to put mine on this morning and when I came out of work at 230pm at 43 degrees my steering wheel had a big blister the size of a 10cent piece. Took it straight to Ford to show them and they laughed I was the second car today, one of the new ones on the lot had blistered. I get a new wheel Monday.
Does replacing the wheel fix the problem or just change out the faulty item?

Womble99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble99 View Post

Quote:
I have spoken to my local dealer and a few cars door trims on the drivers side have considerable wear if you rest your arm there. we have 6 at work and mine has the most Kms 50k and 3 have wear on the door trims and 3 don't but they don't usually rest there arm on the door trim . 3 have peeling steering wheels. Ford have said its from the sun when you get in it melts so when you grab the wheel it strips it. I have a fgg6et with 120k on it and the interior in that is like new , the Mondeo hasn't faired as well. I wont be renewing to a Mondeo in 20k I will be going a Passat which is much better.
Strange as no problems at all with interior trim inside my MC. Apart from bloody Beagle hairs on the upholstery and its not even my dog.

Yesterday the steering wheel was so damn hot you could not hold it. Car always parked there in full sun and no visible damage to the wheel. Cannot find the old foil used on my Focus a couple of years ago so eBay or Supacheap here I come.

A bloody remarkable car that never faulted and no interior wear and tear damage with 240K on the clock.

PS: Found and ordered one of these...

CAR SUN SHADE STEERING WHEEL COVER 100% Brand New
Item price AU $6.80
Quantity 1
Item number 282748800474
Postage service Australia Post Parcel Post Parcel

Then also ordered this for home parking and it was so bloody cheap.

Folding Jumbo Front Car Window Sun Shade Visor...
Item ID: 282416078418
Quantity: 1
Estimated delivery: Mon. 1 Jan. - Fri. 2 Feb.
Paid: AU $3.65 with PayPal

2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White

Last edited by sailaway; 15-12-2017 at 09:34 AM.
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #16
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble99 View Post

Steering wheel number 3 on Monday. Look I mostly remember to put up the shades but occasionally forget.
Old 15-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #17
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Strange as no problems at all with interior trim inside my MC. Apart from bloody Beagle hairs on the upholstery and its not even my dog.

Yesterday the steering wheel was so damn hot you could not hold it. Car always parked there in full sun and no visible damage to the wheel. Cannot find the old foil used on my Focus a couple of years ago so eBay or Supacheap here I come.

A bloody remarkable car that never faulted and no interior wear and tear damage with 240K on the clock.

PS: Found and ordered one of these...

Item price AU $6.80
Quantity 1
Item number 282748800474

Then also ordered this for home parking and it was so bloody cheap.

Folding Jumbo Front Car Window Sun Shade Visor...
Item ID: 282416078418
Quantity: 1
Estimated delivery: Mon. 1 Jan. - Fri. 2 Feb.
Paid: AU $3.65 with PayPal

MC interior totally different mate. The MD has soft touch steering wheel and door trims. I also had a MC previously and it had hard plastic interior, much like my G6ET which is like new after 117,000kms.
Old 16-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #18
sailaway

Quote:
MC interior totally different mate. The MD has soft touch steering wheel and door trims. I also had a MC previously and it had hard plastic interior, much like my G6ET which is like new after 117,000kms.
Good to know. Thx

Maybe time to order one of these...

Item price AU $6.80
Item number 282748800474

Only out of Sydney and may make it before Xmas. (Bah Humbug)
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #19
IanC

Quote:
I will be going a Passat which is much better.
If you are looking at an auto with a DSG box check the VW forums before you buy. There has been a lot of trouble with DSG boxes and VW haven't been very helpful after the warranty expires.

Ford aren't the only company with dodgy DSG transmissions.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post