Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Australian TV legend Don Lane has died aged 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine
Australian TV legend Don Lane has died aged 75.

He had been living in a nursing home in Melbourne and was suffering from dementia.

PHOTOS: An Aussie entertainment icon

Lane's son and carer, PJ, was scheduled to play at Melbourne Alzheimer's fundraiser Show Compassion 2009 tonight.

Lane was diagnosed with the degenerative disease in 2005.

PJ recently relocated to Australia to be near his father after playing professional basketball in the US and Europe. (ACA VIDEO: Don's son tipped for success)

"His son is devastated and Australia has suffered a great loss today," Lane's manager Jayne Ambrose said.

"He passed away late this morning. It was a dementia-related illness."

Lane's funeral will take place on Friday while a public memorial in also in planning.

"It's a very sad day for the family," Ms Ambrose said.

Along with Graham Kennedy and Bert Newton, he will be remembered as part of a trio of legendary TV stars from the 1970s and 80s who ruled the airways when variety shows drew millions of viewers each week.

Lane was rewarded with nationwide fame and many Logie Awards and was later inducted in the organisation's Hall of Fame, but his physical and mental decline followed and he was not seen in public over the last few years. (ACA VIDEO: Lane's final TV interview)

The American-born performer, talk show host and singer was born Morton Donald Isaacson in New York in 1933.

He got his break on Australian television in 1965 while working in a well-known nightclub called the Copacabana in Hawaii, when he was recommended for a hosting role on Channel 9.

He was most famous for his variety show, The Don Lane Show, which debuted on Channel 9 in 1975.

The final episode of his TV show aired in 1983 ran for two and a half hours, featuring such stars as Sammy Davis, Jr, Phyllis Diller, David Bowie and John Farnham.

He moved back to the US for two years after the show finished, living in Los Angeles before returning to Australia to host various programs.

Lane's career was not without controversy: in March 1968, he was imprisoned after being charged with importing marijuana into Australia.

He claimed the drugs were planted into his jacket pocket by a former business associate and was eventually found not guilty after being defended by now-notorious barrister Marcus Einfeld.

Lane's long-time friend, radio personality Chris Kearns, announced in 2008 on radio station 2UE that the 74-year-old entertainer had dementia.
Very sad day for Australian TV

R.I.P Don

many a fond memory as a family watching your antics on the box

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another news artical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine
Entertainment legend Don Lane was charismatic and funny until the very end, his close friend and biographer Janise Beaumont says.

Lane, 75, died on Thursday morning after battling Alzheimer's disease.

"He didn't want this to happen, but he was still Don," Ms Beaumont told Macquarie Radio.

"And pretty much up to the end he was very tactile ... he loved hugs, he still could make eye contact, still be funny, still be charismatic - but this bastard of Alzheimer's...

"We've got to find a cure.

"I'll go on any committee, I'll dress up in a chicken suit to raise money to help find a cure because it robs people of so much."

Ms Beaumont said she noticed Lane was "starting to be a bit fragile" when she began working on his biography more than three years ago.

"A lot of people did drop off like flies in Don's life, and I know that above all else Don would want me to say to people `if you know anybody with Alzheimer's, there's still a person in there, and don't walk away from them'," she said.

She said she had been friends with the American-born television personality for almost 40 years.

"I know him incredibly well and I love him very much," she said.

"I preferred the world with him in it."

Ms Beaumont said she was proud of Lane for completing the book because it had been hard for him at times.

"But he had such a story to tell, such a story about adventures, talent and dreams, and a lot of women," she said.

"He was so charismatic and I am one of the women who fell under his spell for a short time many years ago ... but that was nothing compared to the friendship."

A private funeral service with very few in attendance would be held on Friday, but a public memorial would be held "down the track", Ms Beaumont said.

His manager Jayne Ambrose said Lane's son was devastated by the loss and Australia has suffered a great loss today

"It's a very sad day for the family," Ambrose said.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saturday Night is the loneliest night of the week...

Genuinely sad when you lose an icon of Australian TV, back when TV was clean, but a lot of fun.

Condolences to the family.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP Don.
When Graeme Kenedy moved on Don had big shoes to fill and fill them he did. Don and Bert gave myself (and undoubetly many Australians) many hours of pleasure he was a truly great entertainer

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grew up with Don & Bert - sad news indeed, another icon to the great gig in the sky.

RIP Don.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

sad to hear. He had a great run and was entertaining to watch

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8