Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
Xr8uteRay
lolhsv

Default Looking at buying a AU II FORTE

Hi all, my girlfriend is about to buy her first car and found an au 2 forte. Very tidy car and well looked after, low k's etc. I just thought i'd throw a post up to see what real world fuel consumption is like and more importantly if there are any things (mechanical issues etc) I should be weary of when looking.

Any advice or tips appreciated. Also can provide a carsales link if preferred.

Cheers

Xr8uteRay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
GUTLES
Adam.

Should get 10l/100km, a fair bit better then your BA thats for sure.

Check the coolants clean, they don't blow Headgaskets as much as the earlier ones did but they still do it. Check the brakes for shudder when firmly applied. Other then that there one of the strongest later model falcons.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

This thread is best posted in the Aufalcon section. But to answer your question:

Fuel economy for me on a forte averaged 10L/100km. Thats with a healthy mix of city and hwy driving.

Mechanically, the au2 forte did not really have any specific issues that werent already fixed from new. Other than general things to look for in any car ie hoses, fluid levels & colours, odd noises, etc. Ill assume you know all those already, so I wont carry on like a know-it-all

Expect to find a diff whine at certain kph, in my experience not a very big deal at all, unless the noise irritates you. Noise level variates car to car. Also, just as I recently experienced, a simple transmission service will save you from a $2k+ rebuild (as I had to pay for :( ), do this when the car exceeds 150,000kms regardless of what theyve told you.

All in all, just like any car. Look after it, and itll look after you. But in saying that, the AU2 is probably the best choice by far for simple, cheap and definitely reliable Ford motoring. And in my experience theyve proved that statement time and again.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Scotty85]Expect to find a diff whine at certain kph, in my experience not a very big deal at all, unless the noise irritates you. Noise level variates car to car. Also, just as I recently experienced, a simple transmission service will save you from a $2k+ rebuild (as I had to pay for :( ), do this when the car exceeds 150,000kms regardless of what theyve told you.[QUOTE]

I have a 148,000 AU II Forte. Sounds like a cab because of the diff and gbox whine, but goes fine. They are good cars. Fuel economy is not too bad, as long as you aren't sitting in traffic all day, every day.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Check the coolant, that the Auto Transmission is ok, and make sure the Powersteering pump isnt leaking, I had one go on my AU. Otherwise it was an extremely reliable and durable car, more than the BA for sure.

As for economy mine was an E-gas, but back to back it was considerably more economical than the BA E-gas, due to weight.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #6
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

my wife has a 2001 AU11 forte and it has just clicked over 200,000ks and she wants to keep it!
has not given us any dramas whatsoever and it was purchased at 35,000ks and was previously a hertz rental car.
preventative maintenance is recommended for trouble free motoring for your girlfriend.
fuel distance around 700k from a 68l tank(mainly hwy)
even more if 98oct is used and you're going downhill
seriously i once filled it up at lithgow(nsw) with 98oct heading back to sydney and the DTE(distance to empty) reading was 800ks + at penrith!!
hope everything go well!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On 91 with mostly city driving but no sitting in traffic for extended periods, i'm getting between 11 and 12.5 average fuel consumption, very reliable car if it's been looked after
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post