Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #1
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default Unopenable money tins.

I am kicking myself I never got one of these earlier. I went to the reject shop on my break at work two weeks ago and picked one up for $3. It's one of those large ones with a $20 bill on it. You can't open it unless you use a can opener, so this is good in case I get tempted to open it and spend the contents. So far I have roughly $120 in there, it is probably more as my rough counting in my head is not very up to date. I've been putting any coins I get in it plus any note up to a $20.
Just chucked in another $12.50 in coins actually, and this is all from me not eating junk food, drinking the odd beer, buying the odd snack etc. My aim is to save $2,000 to help fund an airbag kit for my next car. I won't open it till I literally cannot put another coin in it. At this rate, Christmas!
Who else has one of these amazing inventions
I recommend parents buy one for the kids and encourage them to start saving. It might only be little bits here or there but long term it will pay off.
I also put ~$500 into savings in the bank each week, depending on expenses for the week. By November I'll be in a new car and loving it. Who'd have thought saving was so easy? Forgo the little luxuries for a while and live as far within your means as possible and you can save massive amounts of money.
Once I fill and open my $20 tin I'm going to buy another and have it as my modification fund money tin.
Anyone else got one and do the same or similar as me?

Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unopenable money tins.

i used to have one when i was a pizza dude, would put all my 'tips' in it. while mates were spending their tips on car washes, junk food, etc i would put mine in the tin.. went through 4 tins in 2 years i think, would pull out about $500 every time i opened one up

maybe i should buy another one, just looking at the change i have thrown in drawers in the house.. easily grabbed $30 in gold coins out of one draw the other day..

someone i knew thought it would be a good idea to fill one of those 'water cooler' water bottles, you know those massive bottles.. anyway he filled it with change, and then couldn't lift it
Old 28-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have one that we don't open until the end of the year for some extra spending on our holiday.

We put gold coins and some times notes... Occasionally i'll have a win on the pokies and put the odd $50 or $100 in there... Should have an easy $1000 extra to blow whilst on holidays now.
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky

someone i knew thought it would be a good idea to fill one of those 'water cooler' water bottles, you know those massive bottles.. anyway he filled it with change, and then couldn't lift it
I have one of those and it gets all my loose change... But they take ageees to fill!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a stubby holder in my console for loose change.. console has a lid..

fail..

pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

We have one that the slot only fits $2 coins (the odd 5c might slip in) and made a pact a couple of years ago that we both put in at least one $2 coin per day.. Some days when I empty my pockets I tip in 7 or 8 coins and the tin is now a struggle to lift... Chrissie time this year the lid comes off!.. Be interesting just how much is in there?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
anolade
trigger happy

those big 1's few years ago old man had nearly 2k from notes and golds
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a small one for our son with a key to open it as he is only 4 he can't earn any Money so he raids my wallet all the time lol.when it's full we take him to the toy shop loves it.
And since we want to do a boat cruise next July it wouldn't hurt if I got 1 for us . Thanks for the idea
Old 28-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

i made this afew years back. i am only putting $2 coins in only, its about 1/4 full and heavy as already.

only way to open it is with a grinder :-)
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i made my own out of a 20L drum. yes a drum
i never put coins in my wallet so every time i come home with coins i put them straight in there
i clean it out once its about 1/4 full as it gets to heavy (about every 6 months) and there is roughly about $1000-2000 in there
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
i made my own out of a 20L drum. yes a drum
i never put coins in my wallet so every time i come home with coins i put them straight in there
i clean it out once its about 1/4 full as it gets to heavy (about every 6 months) and there is roughly about $1000-2000 in there
Where North of the river do you live hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
T2TICK4D

i had a piggy bank but it was no good had a whole in the bottom so time i get me one of those cheap money tins from the reject shop
Old 28-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on a disability pension. What I use are the Johnson and Johnson round clear containers that hold cotton buds. They stand about 7cm tall. Filled with $2 coins it holds approx $220, $1 coins fill it to about $95 to$100. I have one for every denomination. Every couple of months its nice to have an extra $300 odd to splurge with. Wahoo

Apart from the sheer weight I think those inoperable tins with $2 coins would have to hold somewhere between $5,000 - $10,000 at least, so long as my mathematics hasn't let me down.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordauute2000
i had a piggy bank but it was no good had a whole in the bottom so time i get me one of those cheap money tins from the reject shop
Yours had a rubber stopper thingie on the bottom? Wow, you were lucky!

I remember my first piggy bank as a little girl. It was actually a pink piggy and I remember putting coins, birthday money, anything because I wanted to fill it up. My sister and I would shake our piggies and guess how much we had in there or who's was more filled. Her's was blue. And when I realized my pink piggy had to be SMASHED to get my money out I cried!! I guess as a kid (and being innocent) I didn't think of it or wonder why there wasn't a way to open it.

That pink piggy was my one and only piggybank. I have bad memories of that.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
MattsDisturbed
Bseries

I used to love these things! I saved up for alot of my drums, cymbals and equipment in my teenage years via this exact method. The problem is these days I almost never have any cash on me, and so the tin wouldn't fill up too quickly at all

Check it out:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11336211
MattsDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

my pay gets split into about 4 different accounts, including the mortgage. i'm disciplined enough that that is all i need. one of them pays for a holiday every year. been having a holiday every year now for 14 years.

both my kids have money boxes. good idea to get them learning about saving from a young age.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

I save all my coins. I never spend coins in about 18 months I saved all the money for my supercharger for the gtp and other things. In about 5 years I manage to save close to $18000 it's amazing how they all add up cheers Gary
ego gtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
S.D.M.F

Empty beer can. Only put $2 coins in it. When its full, open with a can opener = $500. Fills up pretty quickly too.
S.D.M.F is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

We've got a couple of loose change boxes. The only problem we have is finding a bank that will accept all the coins without them being divided up in correct denominations.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #20
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
We've got a couple of loose change boxes. The only problem we have is finding a bank that will accept all the coins without them being divided up in correct denominations.
local st.george branch just got a refurb and they have the change sorting machine where customers can use it. poor the coins in, it sorts and counts and prints you a 'docket' to take to the counter

edit- bit out of your way but it is the tuggerah branch.. might be coming soon to a bank near you
Old 28-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
local st.george branch just got a refurb and they have the change sorting machine where customers can use it. poor the coins in, it sorts and counts and prints you a 'docket' to take to the counter

edit- bit out of your way but it is the tuggerah branch.. might be coming soon to a bank near you
CBA bank in Bundaberg has one of those.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

I think that machine is getting a little more common. The Commonwealth bank at Rockdale has one... which is great as my Yr6 class is running 2 cake stalls a week to help fundraise for their end of year camp and I already have 2 pencil cases with 4-5kg of change in each...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #23
guidedog

8 years ago i opened one up after only owning it for 2 years and bugger me there was about $3000 in it .
guidedog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

A mate of mine has the water bottle money tin in his room, him and his dad had to lift it last time, he got 3.6k. I'd have one but it's too tempting to spend it!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #25
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I better head off and get my own tin and start saving...
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 02:31 AM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My old man puts away every silver and gold coin all throughout the year he gets from change, and then gives it to me and my sister at Christmas, works out to be about $1000 each over a period of a year.

Its amazing how much it all adds up over a year.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #27
ovaxitd

yep we do the coke can last year- $594 last week... pretty amazed... now doing a 2L coke bottle... only put $2 coins in it... 2l is supposed to be a couple of G

2010 Sunburst XR6T 50th Ute- Stock for now
2010 Winter White G6ET 13.01 @107.91 2.055 60'- Stock -SOLD
ovaxitd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #28
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus takes all my money and I never see it again.

I'm sure there's something wrong with that equation.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken
My missus takes all my money and I never see it again.

I'm sure there's something wrong with that equation.
reminds my of the joke where a guy has his credit cars stolen.
But its all good the theif is spending less then his wife.
Old 29-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
nstg8a

i use ice cream containers, got three full at the moment but theyre too easy to raid so theres not many gold coins in them i dont think.

the water bottle idea sound cool might have to liberate one from work.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post