Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default bit of advice needed

Hey guys, some of you blokes already know my car is currently out of action due the supercharger not working.

I ordered a belt and bearing kit for it and after the mechanic has tried to put it all together again but with difficulty. there is a chance it may not work again and if that's the case I'm not sure what I should do.

Thing is, after a year I'm gonna sell the car. probably pull off the s/c and sell that too. now with these possible issues on the verge, do I spend and get the s/c fixed to it can be sold? Or cut my losses, pull off the s/c now and return the car to n/a save my cash? Another interim option is to pull off the s/c and throw the wade cam in an retune the car for fun.

One thing I will miss is the power. but running the stock n/a setup will be a bit disappointing after forking out cash with a worse off outcome.

Thoughts?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: bit of advice needed

yes you will definitely feel the blower gone, if it was myself, i would prefer to keep the blower on it, and if the car is already set up for it, it sounds like a bit of stuffing around to do the cam bizzo, and you will miss the torque of the blower , regardless of the cams.
my young brother bought a blower via ebay very very cheap, 2 actually, i`m thinking should the blower not go again this might be another alternative for you if dollars is part of the problem.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Blue Oval, get a second opinion on the blower issues and if its not good take the bits off, repair the blower, return the car to stock and sell car/bits seperate.
But if another mechanic can sort the issues for you that might be better -you've forked out good money to get it to where it is now, might need a few more $'s to get combo bullet proof- depends on if you've had enough blowing cash on it & how expensive to do further work on it? If too costly probably wise to save you're cash.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thanks guys. I must admit I am getting a bit over spending more cash on the car but at the same time I still want it to perform the way I set it up.

Now that I've slept on it. I can choose these options:
1. Repair the unit regardless of cost as mik said its already setup for it.
2. If its unrepairable fork out for a new unit and cop the loss of cash on the chin.
3. Pull everything off and return to stock and put up with it till its sold.

Its not that money is the issue. its more the annoyance that this will cost for zero performance gain. If the unit is cactus, I'm leaning towards fitting another new unit. I've grown to can't live without the power and driving it with no boost sucks.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Tha Jack
Legend!!!

I'd take option 2!!!

BACK TO THE BONE YARD
Tha Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Hey guys, some of you blokes already know my car is currently out of action due the supercharger not working.

I ordered a belt and bearing kit for it and after the mechanic has tried to put it all together again but with difficulty. there is a chance it may not work again and if that's the case I'm not sure what I should do.

Thing is, after a year I'm gonna sell the car. probably pull off the s/c and sell that too. now with these possible issues on the verge, do I spend and get the s/c fixed to it can be sold? Or cut my losses, pull off the s/c now and return the car to n/a save my cash? Another interim option is to pull off the s/c and throw the wade cam in an retune the car for fun.

One thing I will miss is the power. but running the stock n/a setup will be a bit disappointing after forking out cash with a worse off outcome.

Thoughts?
sc generally wont give trouble in my experience , when they do it requires a certain touch to make good repairs because of tight clearances , how good on a sc is you mecanic and have you considered taking it to a specialst then re-fitting ? a 2nd opinion seems a good idea ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another one for option 2.. very unique ride shav.. i would mantain it as is blown for the duration..

or trade it in now on G6ET.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Thanks lads.

The mechanic is quite experienced in turbo and capa applications but is possibly limited to what he knows on raptors. I didn't know the raptors had such tight tolerances so there is a chance the damage I have caused may have jeopardized the repairs. I'm not sure.

I am thinking if the raptor is stuffed going for the better flowing revised raptor unit or see if a powerdyne could fit the engine plate. Dependent on cash difference.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

One things for sure, option 3 will see you wanting to flick the car asap as it just wont drive how you really want it.
You will end up feeling unhappy/unsatisfied after every drive or at the least disappointed because it just wont give you what it did all souped up.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Too true donny. just the few days the s/c wasn't working I felt like I wanted to torch the car. just goes to show how much you get used to power. I know with the next car I'll be getting something boosted.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Its not that money is the issue
i guess this is your answer. if the money is not a problem, then keep it super charged
if the cost is excessive for 1 year of fun, then go stock

only you know how much you will enjoy it, how much it will cost and how much you are likely to make/lose come sale time

either way, you have already lost the money to some degree, because you cannot sell the car with super charger as is, or sell the super charger as it is. it comes down to how much you may get back once the car is sold at a later date

if you have enough money for it and you will not miss the said money, go the power option
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i guess this is your answer. if the money is not a problem, then keep it super charged
if the cost is excessive for 1 year of fun, then go stock

only you know how much you will enjoy it, how much it will cost and how much you are likely to make/lose come sale time

either way, you have already lost the money to some degree, because you cannot sell the car with super charger as is, or sell the super charger as it is. it comes down to how much you may get back once the car is sold at a later date

if you have enough money for it and you will not miss the said money, go the power option
thanks bloke. its more the annoyance to spend the cash. will see what the mechanic says first. then will make a decision.

Does anyone know if a powerdyne will fit a raptor engine plate?

Edit: just checked raptor site. will cost $2850 to replace the unit. :-S

if I can't get this thing fixed I might torch the car :-P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 09-06-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:
Edit: just checked raptor site. will cost $2850 to replace the unit. :-S
Hey Shav, That's the site price...........Your already a customer of Tim's, bang him out a email as I'm sure his price to an existing customer will be much different.

Out of curiosity, how many km have you done on the existing head unit?

Craig.
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Hey Craig. probably done about 60000km. but due to an angry moment I sat on rev limiter too long and I think it pushed it over the edge. plus running 25mm bov which I think was too small according to Tim.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
I am thinking if the raptor is stuffed going for the better flowing revised raptor unit or see if a powerdyne could fit the engine plate. Dependent on cash difference.
Buy a powerdyne from the states.. I am sure if it dont fit it wont be far off!

But if you dont wanna spend the cash then prob not much point upgrading the raptor either, as by the time you add a tune etc it all adds up..

It alllllways comes down to money
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Too right cam. lol that's what I'm finding out fast.

Does the powerdyne fit the raptor engine mount though? Just out of interest.

What's gonna be cheaper and by what amount? Pulling everything off and returning it all to stock or fitting another new blower and tune?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
gaz084
F1D procharged ute

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: With the amount of detail Gareth has put into his BF heat exchanger by-pass modification ... and also his work on his supercharged BA EGAS build thread has been a help to many on this forum when it comes to DIY inginuity. 

Its going to be cheaper to sell the car n/a....theres a slimmer market if they see its modified...but you could be lucky and get a young fella or an enthusiast.

If your going to keep the car why not put a vortech v2 on it you can pick up second hand kits for around 2-$3000 of ebay.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11283622
gaz084 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 AM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

if i was to keep the car id go a xr6t motor conversion. wouldnt bother with centri systems again. but its a 6-7k exercise.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Wonder what a decent turbo kit would cost to set up on your existing motor??

Last time at the drags I spotted a very neat and unassuming looking white EL six with a big *** turbo hanging off it, cant remember if it was running slicks or ET streets, but anyways..........Seen it later pull a 10.00 at some ridiculously high mph.

Must say it got me thinking
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
robbyj
Rob

if its cheap enough to fix then fix it and keep enjoying the sleeper.
if your up for a whole new blower..

Id say rip the s/c setup off and dive the car n/a for the year then sell like you planned.

Should make a few extra $$ from your setup as well.

And after that year of N/A and u sell the car.. you'll be itching for something new. and knowing you mate it will be something different and exciting ;)
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

One thing the Mrs told me is that if I wanted to go turbo or what ever id have to keep the car indefinitely with zero intention of getting a new car. so I'm kind of stuck on that area.

Back on topic though, I think if I can't get this fixed I'll remove the kit, get s/c fixed by raptor directly then sell the kit complete if possible and run it n/a for the next year. it will the cheaper option at the end of the day.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Hey guys just a quick update. got car back finally today. ended up getting the unit fixed with new bearings and internal belt. back on boost. its taken a while due to mechanic bein understaffed. but the car is back to normal and driving well.

Some other news though. I have permission to get a company car now via leasing which will allow me to upgrade thanks to my company and some hard work. so that puts the au into question and I have decided to sell the car complete with a number of parts to go with at a very reasonable price. id like to sell it to someone from here so I know its being looked after. will do a proper ad for it in the for sale section but to let you guys know in advance id like to get 6k for it. pm me if interested as id like a quick sale.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont