Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
manchu

Default MC mondeo battery replacement

Dead battery in my 2012 MC TDCI wagon yesterday. OK after overnight charge but I've had a couple of low batt warnings recently and suspect its original so prob time for a new one. It's one of these. https://a.d-cd.net/e1aa475s-1920.jpg

Any suggestions for a decent/cheap battery? here's what I've found in quick search.

- Repco - Repco $320
- Supercheap - Century $300
- Commet (online) - Supercharge $226 (delivered)

guy at repco told me they just got rid of all supercharge. 40% off, but no stock now. bugger

any tips on replacing? (looks a bit more of a headache than my previous cars)
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #2
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MC mondeo battery replacement

I use VARTA F18. It is a silver calcium type (not sold by AUS Ford dealers) . Silver calcium lead acid batteries are recommended in the Ford Mondeo manuals.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #3
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
I use VARTA F18. It is a silver calcium type (not sold by AUS Ford dealers) . Silver calcium lead acid batteries are recommended in the Ford Mondeo manuals.
cheers for the info. bloody expensive battery that VARTA F18. $340ish.

I noticed the battery is Silver calcium but knowing bugger all about batteries I just assumed all Century, Repco, Supercharge options would be the same if it's necessary. Evidently not the same, and I'm not sure how critical it is.

did a bit more digging and found existing thread with some debate on the matter.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showth...hlight=battery

Out of interest I gave my local ford dealer a call. $200+GST for the battery (century apparently but was light on details). + $45 fitting. Tempted just to do that as it's not a bad price compared to what I've found otherwise.

Best price I've found is local auto elec down the road. $190, which I think includes fitting + disposal. 3yr warranty. Power Sonic. smaller version of this one I guess.

http://www.maroondahbatt.com.au/powe...8-battery.html

Last edited by manchu; 15-05-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 15-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
bundybear75

Funny that - My Mondeo has been sluggish to start the last couple of mornings, especially today at -4 degrees.

I dropped in and picked up a replacement battery on the way to work this afternoon - An AC Delco S58014 DIN77 battery that has different dimensions to your Powersonic one above. $270 supply only

That will be tomorrow mornings task before I head to work
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #5
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used a supercharge gold.
Good warranty
No Silver calcium
No worries

Its just a battery. I try not to overthink it.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Genuine Ford (Motorcraft branded Century) 115605 is around $200. Example below..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENU...frcectupt=true
GTLEGEND is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2019, 07:56 AM   #7
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Genuine Ford (Motorcraft branded Century) 115605 is around $200. Example below..

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENU...frcectupt=true
Thanks for that link.
Only AU $176.26 for my MC and only five minutes from my place at Jefferson Ford.

Nice to know just in case one is needed. Apart from the very occasional Battery is low warnings on the dash if sitting with radio on a few long country trips of late may have solved that. Car normally gets only short runs and sits weeks whilst overseas but always starts first time.

Luv My Mondy

eBay item number:223056049814
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2019, 02:54 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just watch you get the correct battery. I bought the one that Century list for the diesel MC, and it was smaller than the original. I took the old battery in and they matched it.

You've done well with the original. I replaced the battery in the MB before it failed, as it was struggling to turn the engine over on cold mornings, and that was 5 years old.

I've had nearly 4 years out of a Century and it still seems fine.
Old 27-05-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post

You've done well with the original. I replaced the battery in the MB before it failed, as it was struggling to turn the engine over on cold mornings, and that was 5 years old.

I've had nearly 4 years out of a Century and it still seems fine.
I had to head out of town last week so my car sat idle for a while and it was bloody cold this morning so I was worried about starting. No problems whatsoever.

I've done well to get 7 yrs so probably should change it, but I'm also keen to see how long I can get ;)
Old 18-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Funny that - My Mondeo has been sluggish to start the last couple of mornings, especially today at -4 degrees.

I dropped in and picked up a replacement battery on the way to work this afternoon - An AC Delco S58014 DIN77 battery that has different dimensions to your Powersonic one above. $270 supply only

That will be tomorrow mornings task before I head to work
So it took a month, but i finally fitted the new battery today, after giving her an oil and filter change.

Does anyone know what the OEM factory battery brand is? I pulled out a Motorcraft one. I originally assumed i still had the original battery but maybe it was changed not long before i bought it.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post