Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-05-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MD Titanium LED Headlights

Just wondering if anyone can tell me whether this looks like a normal low beam spread for an MD Titanium with LED Headlights: it looks a little low to me and perhaps needs alignment, but the dealer said it's working normally.

Compare that with my BF Fairmont:

While my MD emits a brighter, whiter light, it looks as though my old BF illuminates further.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MD Titanium LED Headlights

Doesn't the Titanium still have headlight level adjustment from the dash?
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Doesn't the Titanium still have headlight level adjustment from the dash?
Not from what I can see, unless I'm missing something.
Old 16-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No internal adjustment.
Only adjustment via the Torx screws in the engine bay.
Here is a link that might assist; https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...12#post5933812

Although the picture does look a little low, small adjustments with the Torx screws will help.

But keep in mind that they are Adaptive LED Lights, so the beam / pattern adjust as pre-set speed and vehicle conditions. So when stationary, it might only produce a shorter throw of light. However once you drive, the light output / beam pattern will constantly adjust and therefore provide a greater spread of light.

Are you unhappy with the light spread whilst driving?

What year model is your Mondeo, have you had the LED Headlight recall done yet?

I had to have this done on my previous Mondeo Wagon, not required on the newer EcoBoost...
Old 16-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Are you unhappy with the light spread whilst driving?
Yeah, it's still looks a bit low when driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
What year model is your Mondeo, have you had the LED Headlight recall done yet?
Mine is built February 2016. Last time I checked, my car isn't affected by the headlight recall.
Old 17-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
R12RT

They do look a little low compared to mine.

Mine are more like your BF.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Mondaveo

It looks similar to the light pattern I get in my MC Titanium (projector headlamps), and while it may seem a tad short and low, I'd say it's probably normal.

The projector lights have a shade (adjustable) which defines the upper part of the light beam and produces a characteristic sharp cutoff - it looks like your LED lights do the same. Whereas with older vehicles and traditional lights, the headlight beam has a more diffuse edge which contributes to the impression of a higher/longer throw.

Remember that low beams need to be calibrated so that the light beam is directed below the eyeline of other road users. You couldn't angle those lights much higher before it goes above the doorline of other vehicles, and then you'd be hitting oncoming drivers' eyes with them - and because of the sharp cutoff would then mean they cop the full intensity of your headlights.

In my case I do notice and find it frustrating that they don't illuminate as far down the road as I'd like, but you have to compromise for other drivers (I've also had the opposite problem with lights adjusted too high up, which I'm sure isn't fun for other drivers and some will let you know...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to revive an old thread, but can MD Titanium owners tell me whether their high beams are just as pathetic as mine?

Compared with my Fairmont:

I've got an upcoming road trip which might involve some night driving. I think I'll take the Fairmont.

Last edited by NX74205; 22-12-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 22-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
R12RT

The headlights are adaptive. So I'm thinking the beams will lift as your speed increases.

I'm not 100% sure so I will have to take more notice next time I drive at night.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After driving a myriad of different cars over the last 20+ years (hire cars, company cars etc) some of the best headlights you'll find are on the AU, BA, BF & FG Falcons (except the FG2 projectors).

Comparing many other cars to a BA is like comparing Julia Gillard to a supermodel. Might still get the job done, but doesn't look any good.

I reckon you've been spoilt by the BA, and nothing will come close to it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2017, 10:37 AM   #11
bungfritz
Starter Motor

I think they've adjusted them to ensure that the lights don't blind on coming drivers due to the higher intensity.

When I complained to the dealer that the lights were adjusted too low, they had them realigned which made them the best lights ever cos of the spread of light and the range.

Problem was every second person was flashing me thinking I had my high beams on so at the last service I've had them readjusted to factory spec. Can't win unfortunately.

One tip though, in the settings menu in your car, make sure that your lights are set on the left hand traffic setting as I'll have the lights aimed higher than right hand drive. Think the setting was designed so that in European countries they could switch the light height to ensure it didn't blind on coming traffic when going from country to country.
bungfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungfritz View Post
the best lights ever cos of the spread of light and the range.
That's what I was expecting - I was thinking that LEDs have to be at least as good if not better than the halogens in my BF. I ended up being rather underwhelmed by the performance of the Mondeo's headlights.

I just wasn't sure if mine was the only one, or if they were all like that. I guess if they're all like that, then I'll just have to live with it.
Old 16-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungfritz View Post

One tip though, in the settings menu in your car, make sure that your lights are set on the left hand traffic setting as I'll have the lights aimed higher than right hand drive. Think the setting was designed so that in European countries they could switch the light height to ensure it didn't blind on coming traffic when going from country to country.

Oops, sorry, but I believe this isn't right.

The decision as to which setting to use is dictated by where the oncoming traffic is relative to you as the driver - and in Oz, and other drive on the left countries, such traffic is to your right, so the "right hand traffic" is the setting to use.

But I say this on the basis of a Sept 2016 build Titanium Mondeo, so it could be different to cars built at different times to that, but I wouldn't expect it to be.

On our car shifting from "right Traffic" to "left Traffic" throws the headlamp beams to the right with the right lamp higher than the left.

Of course there could be changes to how the settings are interpreted for earlier/later builds - best to check by switching the setting from one condition to the other and choosing the one that throws the beams to the left with the left beam slightly higher than the right so that the road left edge is illuminated for a greater distance.

If you are not satisfied with the low beam reach then go here:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11478063

For details of how I got mine adjusted to my liking - last three posts in the thread.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
R12RT

On my March 2016 build Titanium I set the lights to left traffic.

This lifts the light beams and gives the best illumination. I don't get flashed by oncoming traffic with this setting.

The low beam performance can only be described as adequate but must be limited by the requirement not to dazzle oncoming drivers. High beams are very good. I have little trouble seeing kangaroos on the sides of back country roads. Compared to my previous car - a 2010 Mazda6 - the Mondeo low beams are on par with the high beams being better.