Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Perth Falcons

Old 11-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
mean_xr
Starter Motor

Default BA XR8 Exhaust

Hi guys,

Was a member a long time ago but unfortunately had to sell my old car. But I am now back in a ford on the form of a BA XR8.

I'm looking for advice with the exhaust. When I bought it there had been a twin 2.5" cat back manta exhaust, twin pipes went into a big single center muffler then into a large resonator on each side at the rear. with duel rear exit and quad tips. Looked great. But was very quiet. Almost sounded like a 6 unless I opened it up. I replace the middle muffler with twin pipe so it was straight through into the mufflers at the rear. Sounds way better. But still isn't what I want. And it may just be mind over matter but it feels slower than it was before.

After doing some research I found that twin hot dogs in the center and twin dogs at the rear sounds amazing, but before I do this is this a good move performance wise? What is the best option performance wise. Sorry if this has been covered before but I just don't know enough about this subject.

TIA

Kane
mean_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: BA XR8 Exhaust

is there a merge pipe or was the merge in the centre muffler? merge pipes kill noise but help scavenging and power
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
mean_xr
Starter Motor

The exhaust fitter said he removed something that he called a mixer. From what I know from the cats there is straight pipe all the way to the twin exit rear mufflers
Old 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
mean_xr
Starter Motor

The mixer as he called it was before the center muffler
Old 12-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that would be the crossover, like and x-pipe but int he muffler. it would sound fluffy without it and maybe more like a new mustang??
got any sound files?
my GT sounds too smooth so i'd like to remove the centre muffler

i have a similar system on my LS1 and sounds crap just drones
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar
Old 12-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
mean_xr
Starter Motor

It sounds a little bit fluffy. I will take some photos and a sound clip later today and post them up. I will have it on a hoist later today. Removing the center muffler definately killed 90% of the drone. And I'm not unhappy with how it sounds now. Just worried that I may be suffering performance wise. No point having a beastly sounding car that is under performing
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

What does fluffy sound like?
Old 12-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
What does fluffy sound like?
not a good example but this is my old AU XR8 with a cam and straight through exhaust with hot dogs only
it was really choppy and it was through the whole rev range
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
AU Saloon Car racecar

Last edited by ebv8; 12-07-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
not a good example but this is my old AU XR8 with a cam and straight through exhaust with hot dogs only
it was really choppy and it was through the whole rev range

Only use the section after "=" in the youtube URL between the [yt] tags
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have extractors, 200 cell cats, x-pipe, dual two & one quarter inch pipes and just two mufflers. I am really happy with the sound, quiet enough around town but when you floor it, its loud and has definitely improved performance. This is on a 302 Windsor, not the 5.4 motor, but the lesson I learnt was to go a little smaller in diameter to aid scavenging and leave off the resonators that most add after the two mufflers. Definitely add an X-pipe as well, it helps smooth out the sound and maximise power. Have a chat to Best Exhaust & ask for Chris. He has been doing this for 30 years.
https://www.bestmufflers.com
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I have extractors, 200 cell cats, x-pipe, dual two & one quarter inch pipes and just two mufflers. I am really happy with the sound, quiet enough around town but when you floor it, its loud and has definitely improved performance. This is on a 302 Windsor, not the 5.4 motor, but the lesson I learnt was to go a little smaller in diameter to aid scavenging and leave off the resonators that most add after the two mufflers. Definitely add an X-pipe as well, it helps smooth out the sound and maximise power. Have a chat to Best Exhaust & ask for Chris. He has been doing this for 30 years.
https://www.bestmufflers.com
chris is very good. been to him twice now
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post