Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #301
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Mechan1k: thats great news... a word on situps unfortunately can increase the size of your gut/belly as you will be building the size of those muscle groups. Situps should be done periodically to maintain shape, but core exercises such as running, skipping and similar exercises (including pilates) are far better to ensure a good looking chest. If you build up your abs with situps, and don't do much else to support it - you can end up with similar look to a beer belly.

We've got two sets of scales in the house at the moment, so to report in based on the scales i've been using for all previous measurements i'm 82.5kg! (the new 'digital scales' show me at 84kg).

Either way i'm very happy. I gotta eat more vege's and more protein though.
The belly is slowly going down .... I am just doing it for toning though ... I don't do many situp/stomeach crunches in one go ... 2 sets of 20 reps ... that's all. Not everyday though ... depends if i remember to so it.

My courier work involves a lot of lifting as it is ... and I get my fair share of upper-body and leg work most days .. it's the shiftwork that stuffs me up inbetween ... hence walking of evenings when i can ... although Optus has decided dayshift workers aren't allowed in the underground car park .. the nearest unrestricted "all-day" parking on the street is about 2km away from the office in Chatswood ... so more walking for me.

I have increased my vegetable and fruit intake during my diet time and I find it has been replacing the biscuits/ice cream/cakes/chocolate. Mind you I have had some icecream and chocolate since being on the diet .... but only small amounts to hold the cravings back.

I actually found it was easier to get off cigarettes easier than losing weight.

I am actually feeling better since I started the diet ... I don't feel as lethargic and bloated at times ... I am sure the exercise has helped in this respect.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 16-02-2006 at 03:20 PM.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #302
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Double post .... dammit
Old 16-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #303
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Looking back... here was my original post a little over twelve months ago.... I've made it! Well I guess it took me more than 12 months, but I was 94.3kg! On the same set of scales that I weighed myself on that date i'm now 82.5kg!

Well - i'm still playing volleyball - i'm eating better - but i'm cycling to work daily - that made the biggest impact. 1 hour of dedicated activity every day...

I'm rapt!
Good work ... the cycling to work would have really increased the weight loss for sure ... although making leg muscles larger at the same time too ... hee hee
Old 16-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #304
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Good work ... the cycling to work would have really increased the weight loss for sure ... although making leg muscles larger at the same time too ... hee hee
Actually i've been keeping measurement on that - and while not a huge change, I have lost 2 inches of both thighs a the widest point, while gained just under .5 inches just above the knee. Also of interesting point, the widest point location has moved slightly lower on the thigh too.

I'm able to do this by effectively doing endurance training - which is high (85+) cadence (rpm). My legs are now strong enough to turn the largest crank (thats the big ring at the front) and about 3 short of the smallest cog at about 80rpm. This ends up equating to about 41km/h... which is great

I'm still losing weight - at a more rapid rate now too. So while I am no longer focusing on weight loss as part of this exercise - mainly muscle tone and bulk (reduce it on the legs by high cadence work) and gain a bit on the top with some basic weights work, and balance work to improve core body strength.

Who knows, 12 months time I could be 79kg - could be 89kg... we'll see how this goes all goes...
Old 16-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #305
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just keep up my boxing as i have for 3 yrs..., and 2 months ago i started going gym again after having 6 months off lol
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #306
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Well i've lost 12kgs' now. Have a few more to lose though
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #307
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Im still maintaining 73kg. Have been since being outta hospital at 68kg.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #308
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I haven't lost anymore of late ... shiftwork has kinda not helped really. Although my diet has changed to more fruit.

I have been trying to go for a walk in the middle of my shift though ... but it depends how busy i have been on shift ... nightshift is a big screw up with sleeping during the day as well ... exercise has dropped due to this.

Although the rest of the week will consist of courier work (no time for food breaks) and a lot of walking as well after work. Better rest and better eating habits as well.
Old 25-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #309
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've been struggling to get my weight down for 2 years. Having previously been on a heavy training program for years through sport, (4 days gym a week for 90mins including cardio and weights plus training and game, playing weight was 90-95 kilo), I had balooned substantially when injury and old age forced me to give it away 2 years ago, turning what bulk I had into 15+ kilo of blubber. This was made worse because I had also become sick of the years of training in early hours of the morning (4.30am) before going to work and I couldn't find the motivation to keep doing it. I went back to the gym late last year to 30 mins of cardio and was also dieting, but wasn't getting anywhere, although the weight stabilised. Main problem for me was, even though I was eating correctly, I really became addicted to Diet Coke/ Pepsi Max. It wasn't till I gave those up totally, that the weight just seems to be falling off on a average of a kilo a week. It's motivated me enough that I'm back at the gym 5 days a week, but only for 40 mins cardio and 20 mins of light weights plus an evening walk before dinner. My goal is to drop 25 kilo, so my weight is down to somewhere between 80-85 kilo. So far in the last couple of months, I've come down from 105 to 98.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #310
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Good work Kingy ... so getting rid of the Diet Coke/Pepsi Max made a huge difference.
Interesting to know ... I am trying to give up soft drink ... well i pretty much have ... just the odd ocassion I'll have a can ... nothing in the way of Coke/Pepsi (not even the sugar free stuff).

I need to drink more water though ... even though i hate it ... i prefer something with some flavour in it.

But nevertheless .. good work with the weight loss.
Old 26-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #311
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thanks. I honestly wouldn't have thought just giving up the diet fizzy, would've made that much difference.
I know what you mean about the water. Convincing yourself to drink 2lts of plain water a day can be hard, especially during winter. But it does work.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 PM   #312
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

I've now lost 6.9kgs which i'm pretty happy about, only 3.1 to go to my first goal Which I'm hoping to do by my birthday in just over 3 weeks.

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #313
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
I've now lost 6.9kgs which i'm pretty happy about, only 3.1 to go to my first goal Which I'm hoping to do by my birthday in just over 3 weeks.
Well done Kristy! You'll beat the goal by then for sure.

My progress has slowed, im not losing weight, but im losing mass, which is still ok. Shin splints don't help!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #314
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

How come you have shin splints on????

I have dropped down to 88 now from 89kg (originally though the first 5-6kg came off easy as though) ... it's hard when doing shiftwork though ... but getting there slowly
Old 04-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #315
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Shin splints are a running injury, probably caused by running on the concrete paths too much. They'll go away, i've just got to cycle more.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #316
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
Shin splints are a running injury, probably caused by running on the concrete paths too much. They'll go away, i've just got to cycle more.
Also can be caused by shoes that do not cater correctly to your running style and pronation (spelling?) which is the roll of your foot as it contacts the surface. Having a straight, mild curve or curved shoe is a requirement. See a fitness store that actually analyses this before they sell you a shoe and try getting back into running again. You will find a significant reduction if you have not done this in the past.

If you continue to get shin splits from running, a trainer could help improve your stride if you are serious otherwise perhaps a different form of exercise.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #317
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I knew running was bad for you.
Hence why I prefer walking or cycling.
hee hee.

Hope you don't have to wear the splints long ... is it painful walking???
Old 05-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #318
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I knew running was bad for you.
Hence why I prefer walking or cycling.
hee hee.

Hope you don't have to wear the splints long ... is it painful walking???
They aren't a device... they are a symptom. It is pain where your shins become hyper sensitive to regular touch but also in the impact of running (and in extreme cases walking).
Old 05-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #319
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Ahhhh ... I thought it was a case of hairline fractures ... needing splints to be worn ... ahahahaha .... well there you go .... you learn something new everyday.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 PM   #320
XR6Gal

Pretty happy... have now lost 7.5kgs Only 2.5kgs to go.

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 06-03-2006, 09:51 PM   #321
max^power
Formerly au^ute

you're right parawolf, you know alot about it! I'm almost at the extreme stage, as walking at times is painful. alot of the time, a decent stretch can help relieve the pain during a run.

My sister has plenty of contacts in the industry, so shes going to help me get some proper footwear. These Nike shoes have no support, we worked this out this evening.

Well done Kristy! wish i could say i've lost more, but i havn't!! me be my diet :P
Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #322
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
you're right parawolf, you know alot about it! I'm almost at the extreme stage, as walking at times is painful. alot of the time, a decent stretch can help relieve the pain during a run.

My sister has plenty of contacts in the industry, so shes going to help me get some proper footwear. These Nike shoes have no support, we worked this out this evening.

Well done Kristy! wish i could say i've lost more, but i havn't!! me be my diet :P
I used to do a fair amount of athletics training when I was younger - since then I have sworn on New Balance runners - cured my splints I suffered from during training. I have heard of people having similar results changing to Brooks as well - however they were way too expensive back in the day for me as i would wear through a set of runners in about 2 months.

Nike are just a name - their products are fairly useless in my experience. This includes some of their tops as they just don't allow you to sweat and breathe, worse than wearing pure cotton.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #323
max^power
Formerly au^ute

just so happens we're going to the new balance factory outlet on the weekend, so i'll pick up a couple of pairs there.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:05 PM   #324
XR6Gal

I've now lost 8.7kgs, not bad going for just over a week since my last weigh in. Only 1.3kgs to go & I've got 2 weeks to loose it, easy done

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 13-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #325
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Gal
I've now lost 8.7kgs, not bad going for just over a week since my last weigh in. Only 1.3kgs to go & I've got 2 weeks to loose it, easy done
The last few kilos are the hardest to loose.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #326
XR6Gal

I have another 5kgs to go after I've reached the 10kg mark, its just my first goal.

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 13-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #327
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Well done Kristy. I'm sure you'll manage the last few easy enough.

Now i've got my new shoes ill hope that my injuries can clear up.
Old 14-03-2006, 11:56 AM   #328
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just started exercising again, and the scales I have ИИИИin lie.

It said that I gained 5kg in a week. Then this morning, went for a 5km walk, and it said I put on another .8 of a kilo. Jeebus Christ...
Old 16-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #329
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Sounds like you are gaining muscle ... I found when doing a lot of manual labour that I put weight on as I was getting hungrier ... easting more ... but turning into muscle ... not fat.

Sounds like you are doing the same thing.
Old 16-03-2006, 09:18 AM   #330
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I can eat all day and not put on 1kg. I eat and eat and eat. Usually for dinner ill eat say a whole pizza and more food, desert, i have a big breakfast, 2 pies and 2 sausage rolls for lunch, and lots of other stuff in between. Im stuck on 84 kgs, nothing and i mean NOTHING can make me put on weight. Im pretty tempted to just go and eat a tub of lard.