Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #61
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

One thing that a lot of people don't take into account is the amount of hours you have to work, for the money.
I have a few friends who work (or have worked) in the mining industry and they were doing things like 14 x 12 hour days in a row and then 7 days off.
That's 168 hours for their 2 weeks on and even if you average it out over the 3 weeks, it's still 56 hours a week.

That's still 50% more hours than the average bloke.

It's not so much that they're high paying jobs, it's just that the rosters average out to a lot of hours, so you earn more money.

But, if you're not a high earner in your current job and can handle the pace, then I guess it's a good option.

Personally I'm happy in my 38 hour a week job with a nice office :-)
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #62
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
CRIKEY ALLMIGHTY . i cant understand the logic people are using here with questions . i have to say , if mining is good and you can earn great money go for it sure .
but ask some decent questions .
heres some questions i'd be asking .
how much would i earn ?
what would the living expenses be ?
what are the health hazards?
will it shorten my life expectancy ?
why do people leave the mines ?
why is there high rates of absenteeism ?
is there a high turnover ?
are immigrants working along side you ? if so are they safe? are they trained the same ? and on the same money? and working for the same employer as i will be ?
what is coal miners lung? / or black lung? and is it preventable ?
what is the injury rate/ and accident fatality rate ?

all i'm seeing here is how much money you can get . if thats the criteria people are looking at no wonder boneheads cant shove sticks up a dogs rear .
i'd want to have an understanding of all these things before i accept any role .
None of that has been asked because i assume everybody that has posted in this thread so far knows and understands the pros and cons of mine work. Most of those questions would apply to ANY construction related work anyway and a bit of common sense and thinking for yourself will answer them.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #63
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
None of that has been asked because i assume everybody that has posted in this thread so far knows and understands the pros and cons of mine work. Most of those questions would apply to ANY construction related work anyway and a bit of common sense and thinking for yourself will answer them.

well me being a tradie have always considered the mines as a fall back position , to earn top dollars if i need it . but truly i do not know the answers to any of those questions , because i've never worked in a mine .
and yes the questions are also relevent to every other industry also .
so will my common sense enable me to have an idea of if immigrants are working in the same mines, for the same money , by the same employer , with the same training? DID I EVER EXPLAIN THE DEFINITION OF THE WORD "ASSUME"
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #64
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeGuy
One thing that a lot of people don't take into account is the amount of hours you have to work, for the money.
I have a few friends who work (or have worked) in the mining industry and they were doing things like 14 x 12 hour days in a row and then 7 days off.
That's 168 hours for their 2 weeks on and even if you average it out over the 3 weeks, it's still 56 hours a week.
it's very dependent on where you work. a lot of the remote sites run rosters like that due to the logistics of getting men in an out.

where i work, we have 5 different crews on slightly different rosters. my roster is 3x12hour night shifts, fri night, sat night & sun night, then i have the rest of the week off.

Quote:
It's not so much that they're high paying jobs, it's just that the rosters average out to a lot of hours, so you earn more money.
nah, it's far better, trust me. there's some serious coin to be had though if you do put in more hours...

Quote:
Personally I'm happy in my 38 hour a week job with a nice office :-)
i have the best of both. work 3 days a week (36 hours) and get paid well.

in answer to those questions posed above. i can only talk for the underground coal industry, but be prepared to have safety drilled into you every shift.

i've been a miner since '84 and have seen a lot of changes over the years. i spent a few years out in the water industry too and it was the same there. it can drive you mad sometimes as it seems overkill, but it has made a significant difference. lost time injury frequency rates in NSW have come down from over 100 about 10 years ago to about 14.

it is an inherently hazardous occupation and sometimes things can go wrong, but the incidence of that happening is a lot lower now.

afaik, it's not an industry that hires migrant labor?? certainly not in the mines i've been at although there's a lot of kiwis bru's in the pits now!! lol...

black lung is not a big issue anymore with more effective ventilation and PPE available.

happy to answer any questions people throw my way in here. may as well make use of my experience...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #65
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
it's very dependent on where you work. a lot of the remote sites run rosters like that due to the logistics of getting men in an out.

where i work, we have 5 different crews on slightly different rosters. my roster is 3x12hour night shifts, fri night, sat night & sun night, then i have the rest of the week off.

nah, it's far better, trust me. there's some serious coin to be had though if you do put in more hours...

i have the best of both. work 3 days a week (36 hours) and get paid well.

in answer to those questions posed above. i can only talk for the underground coal industry, but be prepared to have safety drilled into you every shift.

i've been a miner since '84 and have seen a lot of changes over the years. i spent a few years out in the water industry too and it was the same there. it can drive you mad sometimes as it seems overkill, but it has made a significant difference. lost time injury frequency rates in NSW have come down from over 100 about 10 years ago to about 14.

it is an inherently hazardous occupation and sometimes things can go wrong, but the incidence of that happening is a lot lower now.

afaik, it's not an industry that hires migrant labor?? certainly not in the mines i've been at although there's a lot of kiwis bru's in the pits now!! lol...

black lung is not a big issue anymore with more effective ventilation and PPE available.

happy to answer any questions people throw my way in here. may as well make use of my experience...

Thanks mate thats great to know , the safety standards have improved a lot . thanks for answering my questions . if the jobs are there I SAY GO FOR IT . if i was young and starting out i dont think i'd be anywhere else .
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #66
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How do you guys find FIFO? Would you rather just pack up and move to the area if you had the cash and no dependants?
no dependants mate just do FIFO you save alot more money ...everything is supplied and the only money you spend is on beers and that
most FIFO camps have gyms tennis courts indoor cricket pool etc its all supplied to make people feel like its you home away from home
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #67
bawag

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Providing easy to follow photo tutorials for members on how to replace tierod ends on a Cortina. 

I have been trying to get into the mines for the last 4 months and have had no luck, at first i tried in Mackay area and now im trying in the Pilbra but with no luck.

I have 10 years experience as a Heavy Vehicle/Plant Mechanic, but with no actual mining experience it seems they dont even look at you.

Im not sure if it just me or is it really hard to get a start from the outside or if you dont know anybody?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #68
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

it is still hard to get in mate, but you also will here stories of mine jobs just falling into peoples laps (right place and time) but keep at it it will happen (took me 6 months to get my foot in) just keep going to labour hire companies and ring them up everyweek asking if they have found a job for you yet
for the pilbara have you tried putting your resume in with skilled enginering, workpack, benchmark, DT workforce are just a few of labour hire companies
also try NRW, Henry walker elton, leightons, these companies do lots of work for BHB and Rio
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

10.567sec for the strip
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #69
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey guys currently live in brisbane just wondering which labour hire companies do contracting for mines over here thanks in advance

Lavis

Last edited by Uncle Niceguy; 02-08-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #70
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawag
I have been trying to get into the mines for the last 4 months and have had no luck, at first i tried in Mackay area and now im trying in the Pilbra but with no luck.

I have 10 years experience as a Heavy Vehicle/Plant Mechanic, but with no actual mining experience it seems they dont even look at you.

Im not sure if it just me or is it really hard to get a start from the outside or if you dont know anybody?
This is exactly what I have experienced, many friends have tried their luck but always get the same reply it's not what you know, it's who you know. That is why we all laugh when people talk about labour shortages, there is no lack of people willing to do the work........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #71
bawag

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Providing easy to follow photo tutorials for members on how to replace tierod ends on a Cortina. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
it is still hard to get in mate, but you also will here stories of mine jobs just falling into peoples laps (right place and time) but keep at it it will happen (took me 6 months to get my foot in) just keep going to labour hire companies and ring them up everyweek asking if they have found a job for you yet
for the pilbara have you tried putting your resume in with skilled enginering, workpack, benchmark, DT workforce are just a few of labour hire companies
also try NRW, Henry walker elton, leightons, these companies do lots of work for BHB and Rio

Cheers for that info i will try the other companys tonight.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #72
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone heard of HWE Mining? They are in the middle of a huge recruitment drive.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #73
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Anyone heard of HWE Mining? They are in the middle of a huge recruitment drive.
yep they are Henry walker elton, HWE...they do alot of work for BHP mines

10.567sec for the strip
Old 02-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #74
Scott

Quote:
Thanks mate thats great to know , the safety standards have improved a lot . thanks for answering my questions . if the jobs are there I SAY GO FOR IT . if i was young and starting out i dont think i'd be anywhere else .
The larger miners are (for the past 5 years or so) adopting a far more stringent approach to safety.

Peter Beattie made a bold claim some years ago after a miner was killed on a machine he should not have been operating that "the ability to use any implement on a mine should be privileged".... or words to that effect. That means a worker should be skilled, ticketed, directed and fit to undertake every aspect of his work, from walking through the front gate to driving a ship loader.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #75
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
The larger miners are (for the past 5 years or so) adopting a far more stringent approach to safety.

Peter Beattie made a bold claim some years ago after a miner was killed on a machine he should not have been operating that "the ability to use any implement on a mine should be privileged".... or words to that effect. That means a worker should be skilled, ticketed, directed and fit to undertake every aspect of his work, from walking through the front gate to driving a ship loader.

post no#9
Donating Member3

Over here in WA all the big names are screaming for people.

NRW, MACCA, Hamptons, to name a few.

I'm in fixed plant construction atm, over 10 yrs exp, middle management role, and I can tell ya, most of the plant operators here couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs backside.

now for where i work , there is far more stringent approach to safety paper work also , its called sign here , and get to work .

Last edited by gtfpv; 02-08-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #76
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard there are new mines opening soon-ish near Mudgee and Gunnadah.
Perhaps people looking for a start should look into them.

Driving trains for the coal mines in the hunter valley is a great job.
With 1 barracks job a week, drivers can get $120,000.

Average shift you work for 9 hours (but it can vary from 3 hours to 12 hours)

I seam to be only working 3-4 days most weeks. 5 days on an unlucky week.

Most of the time you are not actually at the mine site so you don't have to worry about breathing in coal dust all day.

It is generally a laid back job because the trains don't really run to a time table (around here at least)
On night work you sometimes get a bit of shut eye. Normally when you turn
up to a mine the train loader is not ready for you, so you get some downtime.

I hear working in remote places like the Pilbra, you can earn more then $150,000 for driving the trains.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #77
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Booooooooring !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #78
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
post no#9
Donating Member3

Over here in WA all the big names are screaming for people.

NRW, MACCA, Hamptons, to name a few.

I'm in fixed plant construction atm, over 10 yrs exp, middle management role, and I can tell ya, most of the plant operators here couldn't drive a greasy stick up a dogs backside.

now for where i work , there is far more stringent approach to safety paper work also , its called sign here , and get to work .

WTF??

Where do you work buddy?

PM me if you like
Old 02-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #79
05_ENFORCER

I dunno if this link is gonna work, but have a read here.

Some of it is propaganda but overall good reading/intro advice.

http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...a&e=dc30dd08c6

On a more serious point, if there are any young refigeration mechanics that want to relocate to W.A and grab an electrical apprenticeship on the way, PM me for more info.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #80
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FIFO can be good and bad. Ive only been working in mine for 4 months but ive seen the good and bad sides of it from co-workers.
Good is you can live where you want but work where the money is.
Bad is its hard to rush home on short notice for a family emergency etc. Also lose half to a full day in travel time plus finding flights that match your roster if you have to organize your own.

At the mine im at theres guys from all over flying in to work, Cairns to Tasmania and all inbetween.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #81
mondeoxr5
Starter Motor

I have worked for rio for the last 5 years in various systems roles both fifo and residential and am now based in Perth

I got my break by moving to one of the mining towns and had a job within six months. I was lucky in that my missus was a teacher in the town so we already had housing.

What has already been said has here is true. Try the hiring companies (skilled and skm are two i can think of.) They are mostly looking for people who are willing to do fifo or willing to move up to site but rio already have an ops center in Perth and BHP are in the process of building one, so jobs are opening up in Perth. Main thing is that they want people who already have some skills, and are a little bit pro-active.

I also happen to know that the big two are desperate for controllers at the moment (both plant and train) so keep an eye on the rio and bhp websites.
mondeoxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #82
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Keep a tab on PNG jobs in a year or two, BIG resources boom for them ahead, and that means 'required experience'. Good for PNG, but also expats who can assist.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #83
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Keep a tab on PNG jobs in a year or two, BIG resources boom for them ahead, and that means 'required experience'. Good for PNG, but also expats who can assist.
security is a big issue over there in some sites. i know guys who've been there and all say the same thing... def would not take family there...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #84
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
How about getting into positions dealing with explosives? Sounds interesting.
Not that I condone this type of activity but I know of a guy who's into explosives, and his group are always hiring I believe

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #85
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Some clients require candidates to already possess the following: (as a minimum)

At least 2 years operating experience in Coal Mining
Coal Board Medical
Surface Generic Induction
Black Coal Competencies
SGS BMA Induction.

If you are looking to get into operating in QLD I recommend viewing the following websites

http://www.miningcareers.com/

http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/

http://www.theresourcechannel.com.au/

Some courses you will need to complete first !
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #86
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm going to start looking towards the end of my apprenticeship.

I should be able to go for my HR next year, might start off with that.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #87
Dirty32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
my advice, have a plan and stick to it. don't be seduced by the money and live too lavish a lifestyle like me. i've earned good coin for 20+ years and got bugger all to show for it as i live a bloody nice lifestyle. mining isn't something you want to do as a lifelong occupation and can set you up for life if you are smart about it...
^^ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I work for BHP (as a Recruiter, in Perth) and we have a ******** of work on at the moment. We are growing all the time, looking at opening a new mine a year for the next 6 years or something... Most of the operator type jobs will be with Contractors though.

What is quoted above cannot be more true!

The amount of guys i know that start out with the best intentions... Get out there for a couple years and pay a house off, is all rubbish. You soon get used to the money, have loads of material things and as a result of FIFO, miss watching your children grow up, Marriage or relationships break down or your missus cheats on you coz your never around... Lots of pitfalls to selling yourself for the money you can potentially earn.

Loads of old codgers on site who have fallen into the trap and will still be up there in 10 years time, with nothing to show for it other than toys!

If, on the other hand you treat it right, make some coin, set yourself up and get out, props to you!!
Dirty32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #88
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Hey guys im after a little help
Im currently a 4th year auto electrician, im due to finnish my apprenticeship late feb next year. Im really keen to get a job in the mines but im finding it hard as most companys require mining experience. I really really want some mine work as i want to buy a house.

In my current job i have alot of exerience in heavy machinary and passanger cars. I live in tumut where the timber industry is massive, meaning day in day out im fixing a large variety of log trucks, loaders, harvesters, fork lifts, booms, sizzor lifts ect ect
Being the biggest auto elec in the area also means i have alot of experience diagnosing and repairing difficult faults in cars, motor bikes, planes and even gophers lol
Over the last year i had the incredible chance to wire up (from scratch) a number of jet boats and rare hotrods.

Im passionate about my job and i love it, i work 11 to 16 hours a day 5 days a week and own a large tool collection. I dont mind working ling hard hours and will usually stay back late at work untill i finnish the job im doing.

Im serious about getting into the mining industry and would love any assistace anybody could offer, even if its a few weeks of unpaid work experience
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #89
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawag

Mate you got me stumped, Westrac (wa & nsw) have been heavily advertising for any sort of mechanic, that they can train up to "plant mechanic" standards.They now own Unit Rig trucks & O&K Shovels & Excavators. The mine I work @ currently has 2 of these shovels (1000 ton) & a fleet of Terex/Bucyrus 400 ton dumptrucks. I am due back in Perth next Tuesday, I will check Saturdays West Australian, if I find anything, I will send you some contact details. Be warned, Westrac work you hard, & only pay reasonably well. Most young guys leave after 2 years & retire to a mining company. Greg.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #90
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See alot of guys get sucked in by the money. Then cant go back to a lower paying town job as they are too acustomed to the money and days off a mine job brings.
Just put in for inexperienced underground position at work, got good references from supervisors so hoping that helps out.

Big boost in central qld mining coming. Joy are apparantly supplying a longwall a year for next 6 or so years which means new mines and expansions. Companies seem to be pushing for fifo but some locals are trying to stop it.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post