Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-03-2019, 01:13 AM   #1
cooperplace

Default do MDs have DPF problems?

I'm thinking of buying a diesel MD. Are their DPFs prone to problems? I'll be mainly using it around town.
cooperplace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: do MDs have DPF problems?

Well, ours hasn't thus far, but our use of the car almost guarantees a 20 minute or longer run twice a week at highway speeds - which is the same kind of use our previous MA got and across 8 years of ownership that car never had a DPF regeneration problem.

Since the new car has the same basic engine design as the old, I'm not anticipating that a problem will arise, given our kind of use. In fact I have not been aware of a DPF regeneration activity in either car, but I'm sure they must have occurred.

That said, your anticipated use is different to ours and there have been some posters advising that they have experienced problems - so if your use is going to be low(ish) speed around a large city then perhaps a petrol engine car might be a better alternative.

Either way, I would expect that you will enjoy the vehicle, they are a delight to use - It is a pity that Ford Oz is letting the make down with horrible tales, from time to time, with taking care of warranty claims in a timely manner.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperplace View Post
I'm thinking of buying a diesel MD. Are their DPFs prone to problems? I'll be mainly using it around town.
I have 21,000km over 2 years. Never had a single DPF problem. Average speed has been less than 30kph. And usually less than 20kph. I get horrid economy at those average speeds though... hahaha
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

any diesel will have dpf problems if you use it 'mainly around towns'. If that is really what you want I'd strongly suggest looking at a petrol car not a diesel, or at least an older non-dpf diesel.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You;ll probably find you'll get more EGR issues than DPF issues over time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No DPF issues here. 28,000 kms average fuel is 5.5l / 100 on ours, best car I have ever had on fuel!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
nedicz
Starter Motor

2016 MD Wagon - 78000, no DPF issue at all...
BR
nedicz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post