Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #61
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: New car sales March 2019 - vFacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Wrong! The second generation Taurus looked like this:

The third generation looked like this:

And the export version of the third generation which was sent to Australia looked like this:

Your sales numbers are also wrong. I'll find the correct ones shortly and get back to you.
You have to wonder what was is the water when they were designing those hideous things.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
You have to wonder what was is the water when they were designing those hideous things.
One of the first things Allan Mulally did at Ford was cancell production of the DN101 Taurus at Hapville while it was around 200K/year...most going to daily rental fleets. By that time, Taurus was less oval but thename was trashed as a fleet queen. Taurus' market was swallowed up by the Mazda 6 based Fusion and Volvo based D3 Fivehundred (Later becoming Taurus)

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #63
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Even that's well down.
Didn't the government sales dry up after they closed?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #64
Idmsheet
Starter Motor

What does the Camaro sales come under? what are their sales?
Old 10-04-2019, 02:10 AM   #65
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wrong! The second generation Taurus looked like this:

Your sales numbers are also wrong. I'll find the correct ones shortly and get back to you.
Sorry, let me clarify - what I meant to say was that the first generation Taurus ran from 1986-1995, which means that the Taurus we received was the 2nd generation model. Many people consider the 1991 Taurus facelift to be the 2nd generation, but I disagree with that view.

As for Taurus sales figures, my sales numbers come directly from VFACTs. Here are the Taurus sales figures for Australia:

1996 2078
1997 1407
1998 535

TOTAL 4020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idmsheet View Post
It seems that HSV don't report their sales to VFACTs, so we have no way of knowing sales numbers.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 02:50 AM   #66
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
One of the first things Allan Mulally did at Ford was cancell production of the DN101 Taurus at Hapville while it was around 200K/year...most going to daily rental fleets. By that time, Taurus was less oval but thename was trashed as a fleet queen. Taurus' market was swallowed up by the Mazda 6 based Fusion and Volvo based D3 Fivehundred (Later becoming Taurus)
I thought the 500 replaced the Taurus for a few years until Mullaly joined and re-instated the Taurus name. The 500/Taurus were in the large car segment vs the Fusions medium but I guess the large car segment was shrinking and the medium could have been on the rise, although SUV’s were definitely on the rise.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #67
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idmsheet View Post
sports cars - but at nearly $100K they probably wont make the stats
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #68
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Didn't the government sales dry up after they closed?
Well the buy australia policy ending would have cost it some government sales, but no doubt they still buy plenty Camry hybrids.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #69
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Sorry, let me clarify - what I meant to say was that the first generation Taurus ran from 1986-1995, which means that the Taurus we received was the 2nd generation model. Many people consider the 1991 Taurus facelift to be the 2nd generation, but I disagree with that view.

As for Taurus sales figures, my sales numbers come directly from VFACTs. Here are the Taurus sales figures for Australia:

1996 2078
1997 1407
1998 535

TOTAL 4020

It seems that HSV don't report their sales to VFACTs, so we have no way of knowing sales numbers.

Nope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Taurus

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #70
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
I thought the 500 replaced the Taurus for a few years until Mullaly joined and re-instated the Taurus name. The 500/Taurus were in the large car segment vs the Fusions medium but I guess the large car segment was shrinking and the medium could have been on the rise, although SUV’s were definitely on the rise.
Fivehundred ran from 2004 to 2007, it was controlled by the SUV group and never
really did much sales wise because Ford didn't want it hurting Crown Victoria sales

Mulally Joined in early 2006 and by the end of the year, the fleet Taurus was gone
and not long after, the Fivehundred was renamed Taurus.

Fusion launched in 2005 and as Ford's mid-sized car, it and the full sized Taurus
basically filled the product gap of the earlier Taurus which was more of a in-betweener.
\
Old 11-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #71
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1986 Taurus: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...urus_Wagon.jpg

1995 Taurus: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...wagon-rear.jpg

Tell me how these can be separate generations? They look exactly the same to me.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #72
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
1986 Taurus: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...urus_Wagon.jpg

1995 Taurus: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...wagon-rear.jpg

Tell me how these can be separate generations? They look exactly the same to me.
I think you’ll find that maybe MY1996 is the new Gen but they were built from mid 1995 ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #73
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually liked the 90s taurass. The design was definitely ahead of its time. If you don't believe me look at Merc junk from the same era and then look at a Taurus
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #74
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I think you’ll find that maybe MY1996 is the new Gen but they were built from mid 1995 ?
The point I was making with those links to the photos is that the 1986-1991 Taurus, and the 1992-1995 Taurus (what they call the "2nd gen"), look identical in the photo links I provided. Therefore, they can't be considered separate generations.

Last edited by MrZ; 11-04-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #75
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I reckon Hyundai will extend their warranty at least out to 7 years to match their sister brand, Kia. Like you say, it is an edge they have lost now that most others also do 5years.
Hyundai ute wont be here for a while.

If Hyundai got to 7 years warranty. Kia will probably go to 10 years warranty.
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #76
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
Hyundai ute wont be here for a while.

If Hyundai got to 7 years warranty. Kia will probably go to 10 years warranty.

Great way to lock in your customers long term and keep the dealer's service department busy.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The point I was making with those links to the photos is that the 1986-1991 Taurus, and the 1992-1995 Taurus (what they call the "2nd gen"), look identical in the photo links I provided. Therefore, they can't be considered separate generations.
Yes it is a different generation.
The exterior of the second generation was completely redesigned from the first generation.
Its length was increased by a few inches, and it was a couple of hundred pounds heavier,
and had a more rounded roofline. Every body panel, save for the doors, was redesigned.
However, many of the redesigned components closely resembled that of the previous generation,
leading many to falsely believe that this generation is just a face-lift of the previous generation.

Ford spent all that money changing the body panels but failed to differentiate the new car from
the original, I suspect this lead to Ford over doing the third generation and turning it into a football.

Last edited by jpd80; 12-04-2019 at 08:06 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2019, 10:25 PM   #78
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I reckon Hyundai will extend their warranty at least out to 7 years to match their sister brand, Kia. Like you say, it is an edge they have lost now that most others also do 5years.
In saying that, I heard that Kia will go to 10 years if the competition matches its 7 years.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #79
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a quick read of this one:

https://www.businessinsider.nl/carpo...europe-2019-3/

"The founders of the ride-sharing app Lyft filed their IPO papers last week, and their vision for the company is dramatic. Lyft (which works a bit like Uber) is not just about getting you from A to B, they say. Rather, founders Logan Green and John Zimmer believe that car ownership is in permanent decline and they want to help it die, they write in their S-1 filing.

“We believe that the world is at the beginning of a shift away from car ownership to Transportation-as-a-Service, or TaaS. Lyft is at the forefront of this massive societal change,” they told investors. “Car ownership has … economically burdened consumers. US households spend more on transportation than on any expenditure other than housing. … On a per household basis, the average annual spend on transportation is over $9,500, with the substantial majority spent on car ownership and operation.”

Cars create “inequality,” they argue. “The average cost of a new vehicle in the United States has increased to over $33,000, which most American households cannot afford,” the IPO says. “We estimate over 300,000 Lyft riders have given up their personal cars because of Lyft.”"

If this comes to pass, it's going to make owning any form of transport a bit unique, and especially an Aussie built piece of muscle! All of a sudden I have a compulsion to preserve quite a few.