Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
stevheng
Starter Motor

Default Ford Mondeo engine shuts off while driving

I have a very concerning issue with my 2010 Ford Mondeo TCDI MB automatic (not the dual clutch one).

The first time the engine shut off, I took it to an independent mechanic and they hooked it up to the computer and could not find any fault codes. I did a bit of research and decided to change the camshaft position sensor.

Fast forward 2 months, and the engine died again... when it died. Lost all power steering and braking. It was a very scary experience.

On all the times it has died, I have been travelling at around 50 km/hr. On all occasions I've had the aircon and radio on, so I would be driving like normal, then all of a sudden pressing the accelerator does nothing and steering wheel is heavy, thats when I realised the engine was off. No warning, no spluttering at all.

I've had Ford look at it, they tried to replicate the problem with no success. They said they checked all the mechanical components and everything working as usual and that there were no error codes recorded. They did say that there was new ECU updates on the car which they completed.

A week later as I was coming up to a red light under light braking, the engine turned off again.

Has any experienced this before or know what could be wrong?
stevheng is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mondeo engine shuts off while driving

Some possibilities:

Water in fuel? Check filter drain. Filter at rear underneath, unscrew drain plug. Drain to glass jar, water sinks to bottom.

Bad battery/charging system? Should be 9.6V while cranking. 14V + engine running.
Ford probably would have seen this though, unless intermittent.

Intermittent PCM fault? Hard to diagnose. Expensive.

50km/h each time? Vibration/wiring related? Bad electrical connection? Visual check wires and connections in engine bay. Look for rubbing, fraying, clean and secure contacts.

Maybe crank/cam sensor intermittent fault? Replace.

Good luck.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it seems weird that you're not getting fault codes, which may indicate that it's a wiring or connection problem.

Sorry, I can't be much more help than that. Have you tried the UK TalkFord forum?
Old 27-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
stevheng
Starter Motor

I've taken it to an independent mechanic who will do some searching. I've told him to check through the suggestions mentioned in this thread. Hopefully something comes up.
Old 27-02-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
stevheng
Starter Motor

Just picked up the car, this is the report that they produced. Looks like more problems!

Anything related to the car shutting down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12768043_10154625812013312_1637424298_o.jpg (140.8 KB, 163 views)
Old 27-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
marko
Marko

4th from bottom is alarming to me, 6th from bottom and bottom 2 may be contributors too, followed by the braking and steering faults. Any lost communication with modules can cause "limp home" mode or shutdown. Usually though, there is some kind of warning.
Old 27-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #7
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevheng View Post
Just picked up the car, this is the report that they produced. Looks like more problems!

Anything related to the car shutting down?
So Ford only had the car last week and did updates / check for fault codes?
All clear?
Now you get that list...WTF!
Old 27-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #8
stevheng
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
So Ford only had the car last week and did updates / check for fault codes?
All clear?
Now you get that list...WTF!
Yes, I took it to Ford, and they basically brushed me off and said they couldn't find anything after hooking it up to the computer. They were about to charge me $130 for the privilege but they decided to waive it because I had waited an hour more than the time they said it would be done by. Mind you, I dropped it off at 7.40AM and was told to come back at 4PM.

This report came from an independent mechanic, he said he has cleared all the codes, and told me to come back in a week so they can scan again and compare results to see which is one showing up again so they can look deeper in to it.
Old 27-02-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
Deo

I get those 'lost communication' kind of codes on my car all the time and it hasn't caused me any issues in 2 years. I'm not sure there is anything definitive in there.

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
stevheng
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo View Post
I get those 'lost communication' kind of codes on my car all the time and it hasn't caused me any issues in 2 years. I'm not sure there is anything definitive in there.

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
True, my car drives fine, the only main issue right now is the car randomly turning itself off.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
cattitude

I've had exactly the same thing happen with my 2010 mondeo, form was NO HELP AT ALL even while in warranty they had no idea what it was.
After much screaming (as I was almost rear ended when the car cut off and stopped instantly) ford replaced it but it did take the threat of legal action.
The car was virtually pulled apart prior to the replacement and almost everything replaced and it still did it. Research found numerous others in Australia and also the uk experiencing the same problems.
cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #12
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevheng View Post
Yes, I took it to Ford, and they basically brushed me off and said they couldn't find anything after hooking it up to the computer.

One theory might be they didn't find anything because the computer died all of a sudden, without remembering what happened, so to speak.

Stalling is a very worrying concern. For a diesel engine to stall there should be:

Interruption to air supply (check air intake for foreign bodies,leaves etc)

Interruption to fuel supply (water, air)

Valve mistiming (belt, camsensor)

PCM faulty intermittent (? replace)

Wiring harness short (how to test?)

Voltage too low (checkcharging/battery)

egr fault intermittent (how to test?)

Ideally Ford could provide a data logger to catch the next event, in reality I suspect we are not so technologically advanced as they would like us to think.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:06 AM   #13
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Probably a good time to share my findings:

I've been trouble free and it's getting on a year now trying to find out why/what caused my stalling and I can say with some confidence that I've found/fixed my problem. Not had a hiccup a stall event, nothing in this time.

The last thing I did (nothing in the way of fuel/electrical systems) was change the fuel filter as it were time/scheduled as part of my service intervals (30K kms instead of 60K intervals) and I did it differently to the first and second times previously. Still the last stall being some time late 2016, it's been Sept'16 since I've upgrade my suspension and I recall I've had one stall since, ~ around Nov, I don't think it stalled '17 but that's the best I can remember. Either way 2017 were good for in regards to the car. (early Timing belt change being the only biggie)

This time instead of draining the filter housing [edit:-to-which-I-didn't-clamp/plug-off-the-end-of-the-line-] no I'm mistaken sorry, I do remember using a plug in the line. It would be that I started draining the filter housing first then got on to plugging the line, so being out of step, so the fuel pump supply line drains to some extent when draining the housing and when complete I'd prime the system from the fuel pump feed line (schrader valve there for this very purpose) with a hand pump. Looking back this must be where I failed.

Instead I used a Jar/hose/Shop vacuum as previously mentioned in another thread and pulled the fuel all the way through the system from the Fuel tank>Filter>Pump>Injectors>to the fuel return line, after the engine. Only till it were a full stream of fuel entering the jar did I stop and it did show air in the line till it were bled fully. The engine started relatively quickly and settled down quickly. Unlike previously where it took quite a few turns of the key past my 'alright now I'm concerned' stage.

That's essentially being the best method and result I could achieve to bleed the system and this time after the pump and the rest of the system. It hasn't stalled since, not one hiccup nor hesitation which I'm happy to say the least.

I don't typically call it fixed till I've got some K's under my belt since but it's go to be close to a year now. I'm due to do it again (fuel filter) so it's dawned on me that I haven't had a problem in all this time and hopefully that's the end of it.

Found it Ha ha! 3/10/2016 was the last time it stalled. Let that be a lesson to me...do a better job

Last edited by cobrin; 12-02-2018 at 01:23 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #14
stevheng
Starter Motor

Thanks for that information. I've gone and purchased a fuel filter and will get it changed. My car just stalled last week again. So annoying!!! Hopefully, this will solve it. Touch wood!
Old 21-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #15
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I work at a school and one of the teachers I deal with bought a brand new VW Tiguan in 2016 . This same issue happened to her . The straw that broke the camel's back for her with the car less than 20,000 ks on it was when it did it mid intersection in the city . Stalled on her several times before that.

She said she was stranded , and took her several try's to get it moving again . Took it to the dealership and like the Mondeo no faults were found. She ended up taking a financial hit , traded it on a Corolla for peace of mind . It was the diesel too . I wonder do Ford and VW use the same components and computers by any chance ?. Read this dealing with VW out of interest just as a reference for your Mondeo incase of any correlation .

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/volkswa...g-problems.php ...Cheers
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #16
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
. I wonder do Ford and VW use the same components and computers by any chance ?
No they don't they're competing Manufacturers, Ford went Joint Venture with Peugeot and the PSA engine platform shared amongst a few sister companies Ford Peugeot Volvo and more later on.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #17
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

whoops wrong thread...
Old 15-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #18
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Well, guess what happened......stalled today. Under similar conditions as always, coasting down from 100kph to a roundabout and on coming to a halt it stalled. Recovered the next turn of the key. Time to look into the cost of fuel pressure sensor and CAS/CAM sensors and get some readings/recordings going. That and look for any wet fuel leaks or patches, bloody 2yrs 2wks to the day.

sigh...
Old 16-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
stevheng
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Well, guess what happened......stalled today. Under similar conditions as always, coasting down from 100kph to a roundabout and on coming to a halt it stalled. Recovered the next turn of the key. Time to look into the cost of fuel pressure sensor and CAS/CAM sensors and get some readings/recordings going. That and look for any wet fuel leaks or patches, bloody 2yrs 2wks to the day.

sigh...
You had a pretty good run! Mine stalled about a month ago. I had the CAM sensor replaced before - still stalled. My stalls very similar to you, it's always as you're coasting down to a stop. Bloody scary, losing power steering and braking.

Anyway, I traded it in to the dealer and purchased a new car. No more headaches.
Old 18-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Skellibert

Not being familiar with the exact vehicle, are they equipped with a "stop/start" system?
It could be something to do with that?

Left field guess..........
Skellibert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #21
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

no, no stop start on this one ('09).
Old 25-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #22
marcusturbo

Looks like this is a recurring theme.
Mine has started doing it again after many years of trouble free motoring.
There is a thread I did years ago and the problem was the Crank Angle Sensor.

It started last Wednesday when I got the Transmission Service Req'd light followed by car into Limp mode. Got where I was going, stopped switched off, leave for a minute, start again and all good. Do my thing then start driving again. Get 1 minute round the corner and stop at t/lights = engine stalls!!!
Into "P" start engine again and drive home, all of 5 mins with car not quite feeling normal.
Take car to Ford Dealer, still Wednesday, and leave for a few days as I went bush with work. Come back on the Friday, contact the dealer and they are messing me about. I eventually go there at 4pm and not having a great deal of success. Service bloke #1 is hopeless and says it's maybe something with the battery and low voltage. Also BIG list of codes, all cleared but no info to back this up. Speak to service bloke #2 and he asks for the list of codes which the mechanic has on his phone as he took a picture.
SB #2 goes through codes and reckons that it's the EGR valve not working properly and maybe it's gummed up.

So I go for a good run in the car today and it cut out 3 or 4 times most when moving but once when stopped. Also got the tranny service and limp mode a few times for good measure.

I might take it to the garage and see what codes have been stored this time. See if they can figure out all the codes and which one is problem starter.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #23
marcusturbo

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11421395

Just found my old post and very interesting.

All I need to do now is find out where the Crank Angle Sensor lives so that I can check it.
Old 26-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #24
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cobrin's photo number 5:

https://www.fordforums.com.au/vbport...articleid=1718
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #25
marcusturbo

Bit of an update on the situation.

It's been a baffling one as it was quite intermittent and I wasn't prepared to drive it more often and have it break down peak traffic.

Going off the last time this happened, I bought a new Crankshaft Sensor and fitted it. Since then I've been out half a dozen times on good length drives, upto 30minutes, and touch wood, everything has been like before - almost smiling again. Just need to do a few more to gain confidence in that it's not going to happen again.

Question to the Ford Boffin's - the crankshaft sensor is used for starting and then fuel injection is worked off the camshaft sensor once started and running. Given my problem the crankshaft sensor must still be active or at least monitored whilst the engine is running as i thought it would have been effectively switched off after starting - Is this the case.

I'm just interested to know what goes on albeit hard with so much monitoring.

The other thing that i have discovered is that my EGR Valve is a bit sticky at times as this is causing my engine hesitation as the valve isn't fully closed when it should be. I did try to remove it whilst i had the air inlet system all off but couldn't get on nut undone!!
Is a new EGR valve expensive?
I now also count the clicks of the EGR once I stop the engine now, sometimes only 2 or 3 other times it's been 12!!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #26
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re crankshaft as well as camshaft sensors:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/...d-a-cam-sensor
Old 10-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #27
MustangStevo63

happened intermittent on ex territory - replaced MAF sensor problem fixed
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #28
osdina
Starter Motor

ive got the same problem with a 2015 diesel mondeo any ideas ?
osdina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #29
jetat
Starter Motor

I have experienced a similar thing happening with my 2013 MC tdic Wagon.
However the engine didn't switch off, the throttle reverted to idle, so was at least able to coast to a stop. The vehicle was traveling at 100kph in cruise. This happened so far twice in same situation.
Have only had the car 3 months and traveled 3000+ kms.
jetat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #30
Skellibert

If these are all diesels, is there any possibility that it associated with the DPF system?
No idea, but that did cause an issue with my son's pug.
Skellibert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post