Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2019, 08:29 AM   #31
FPV0002
FPV0002

Default Re: FPV’s resale value in the future.

Thinking about this overnight, the most probable cars likely to see an increase price first if not already will be stock or stock-ish B series XR6 Turbo models, especially in the hero colours like blueprint and toxic/citric acid/octane orange/dash green but any model in good nick. The amount of these that were used sparingly or moth balled compared to say a BF cobra or 40th anniversary model would be very minimal and let’s face it these models were amazing bang for buck car and even now are still huge fun. I would love one myself
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #32
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV0002 View Post
Thinking about this overnight, the most probable cars likely to see an increase price first if not already will be stock or stock-ish B series XR6 Turbo models, especially in the hero colours like blueprint and toxic/citric acid/octane orange/dash green but any model in good nick. The amount of these that were used sparingly or moth balled compared to say a BF cobra or 40th anniversary model would be very minimal and let’s face it these models were amazing bang for buck car and even now are still huge fun. I would love one myself
You can get a BF XR6 turbo for around $6k so I think your theory is flawed for a start. Similar age GT still holding around $20k
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #33
ITZON
BOSS290+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
You can get a BF XR6 turbo for around $6k so I think your theory is flawed for a start. Similar age GT still holding around $20k

I’m guessing he might be thinking somewhere along the lines of those B series XR6T’s becoming a colt classic like a well looked after VL turbo Calais.
Maybe not reach massive numbers in price, but still go for more than what they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #34
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZON View Post
I’m guessing he might be thinking somewhere along the lines of those B series XR6T’s becoming a colt classic like a well looked after VL turbo Calais.
Maybe not reach massive numbers in price, but still go for more than what they are now.

Great cars and hard to find in good nick, low mileage unmolested turbo's go for a lot more than 6k. Not GT money but good coin for and old Falcon.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #35
FPV0002
FPV0002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZON View Post

Exactly, not so much talking more in terms of huge $$ wise but as far as desirability and demand, in a similar way a VL Calais turbo is sought after now a clean unmodded B series XR6T in another 10-15 years time will be a rare find!
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #36
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51 View Post
Great cars and hard to find in good nick, low mileage unmolested turbo's go for a lot more than 6k.
Falcon BA is from 2005, that is 14 years of minimum 10'km/year, so a 'low km' vehicle would typically have at least 140' km on the odometer.
The BA that I sold a year ago had been my spare car for many years and therefore had only 100' km, but also that wasn't fault free, and I spent a lot of effort with suspension parts etc. to bringing it up to fault free condition before the sale. There certainly wouldn't be many 'showroom' collector condition BAs, or 'only driven on sunny Sundays' BAs sitting around.

If you purchase a vehicle with the intent of collecting it for value gains, it will cost you the finance cost for the purchase amount, maintenance such as battery, storage cost, insurance, registration etc.
I don't think you will be making your money back for an XR6T model. Buying an FPV model would be slightly better.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple supply and demand. The funny thing is the old cars are worth huge money only because they are not many left.

As soon as Ford and Holden shut up shop, everyone is thinking they can hold on and make a fortune even to the extent that Holden offered options for this very reason.

Like my brother was saying I can't believe dad got rid of this or that. They were't worth anything back then.

In the short to mid term they will hold value maybe a bit more, but you will have to hold for a very long time for them to worth anything significant considering everyone is trying to so the same thing in my opinion.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #38
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
What garbage. Just look how many people turn up to see Metallica, The Foo Fighters etc. Then look at how many people turn up to see rappers. Only the absolute top end rappers like Eminem, Jay Z etc can bring in big crowds.

Might be a different story in the US where rap is more widespread, but we don't have that culture, nor do we have a big african american population (raps biggest audience).
Really ....i spend a lot of time at servos unloading and every car full of young ones that comes in sub shaking the parcel tray and distorting to the max has some gangster/ hip hop crap spewing out , my young fellas 30 now and when i go out in his car about an hour of boom chic, boom chic gangster crap is all i can stand ....and he grew up on Floyd, Metallica ,LedZep

My apologies for taking the thread off track

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

As soon as Ford and Holden shut up shop, everyone is thinking they can hold on and make a fortune even to the extent that Holden offered options for this very reason.
As soon as they shut up shop the price gouging for these cars with some performance. Add manual box to the mix and it gets worse.
Old 13-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #40
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Falcon BA is from 2005, that is 14 years of minimum 10'km/year, so a 'low km' vehicle would typically have at least 140' km on the odometer.
The BA that I sold a year ago had been my spare car for many years and therefore had only 100' km, but also that wasn't fault free, and I spent a lot of effort with suspension parts etc. to bringing it up to fault free condition before the sale. There certainly wouldn't be many 'showroom' collector condition BAs, or 'only driven on sunny Sundays' BAs sitting around.

If you purchase a vehicle with the intent of collecting it for value gains, it will cost you the finance cost for the purchase amount, maintenance such as battery, storage cost, insurance, registration etc.
I don't think you will be making your money back for an XR6T model. Buying an FPV model would be slightly better.

Cheers,
I think the idea being suggested is to park up a good example of say a BF XR6 Turbo. No rego, no insurance, no battery replacement needed. So just the car plonked in your garage next to your daily.
I think that'd be a cheaper investment than doing the same to an FPV and with less likelihood of others doing the same would give a better return.
There'll be tons of low km original FPVs around in years to come but not many of the XR6 Turbo
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #41
FPV0002
FPV0002

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
I think the idea being suggested is to park up a good example of say a BF XR6 Turbo. No rego, no insurance, no battery replacement needed. So just the car plonked in your garage next to your daily.
I think that'd be a cheaper investment than doing the same to an FPV and with less likelihood of others doing the same would give a better return.
There'll be tons of low km original FPVs around in years to come but not many of the XR6 Turbo
Exactly what I was getting at, also considering most XR6Ts were more likely used for daily duties compared to the FPV market there will be much fewer left to snap up in years to come.
Old 13-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #42
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 20 years time find me a low km BF GT with a manual box and 6/4 brembos in mint condition... or even a clean car with no options. Won’t be too many good cars to choose from as each year more and more get written off or trashed. I enjoy mine for what it is and have no interest in making any money from it. However, you would be mad to think they will not be worth anything in the future. It was not so long ago and you couldn’t give XA/XB/XC falcons away and XW/XY falcons were stacked 10 high at the tip...
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2019, 04:55 PM   #43
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grab something if it pops up at the right price, enjoy it and dont think about resale.
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Grab something if it pops up at the right price, enjoy it and dont think about resale.
If you want investments buy shares, property, houses etc
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #45
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If you want investments buy shares, property, houses etc
Im buying shares in flat batteries and broken bonnet cables
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #46
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was driving through inland NSW recently and after the day's travel watched some TV. One add pointed out that there are over 8 million people in regional Australia, a considerably greater number than our largest city. Don't discount the demographics of this market, who generally do value the Aussie muscle cars. Add to that outer suburban people in the cities, who understand the Aussie muscle cars as well.
Old 13-04-2019, 09:35 PM   #47
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I've just had the opposite happen with my FGX XR8. Renewal came with agreed value up from $54.6k to $63.6k, and only a $70 premium increase! Do they know something I don't???

Still for sale though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsar01 View Post
I got my 2011 GS Sedan 4 yrs ago and my Agreed value was $42k had 76thou on the clock then. Just got my Insurance renewal what a kick in the nuts, agreed value is now $32k premium up by $260 a year. Just clicked over 117000klm. Insurance company say its based on "Glasses" guide. Reckon we will be waiting a looong time for values to rise. Yes I know its "just" a GS not a GT or R or F, there still a minority build with an FPV badge. Value aside will keep driving it as its just too darn enjoyable, and when I go its passes down to the kids.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #48
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
The next generation car enthusiasts are more about buying a car for its specs on a page rather than how it drives, they keep their cara for 2 -3 years and flip em.

If a new model comes out with a 0-100 time that is 1/10th quicker, its time to trade it in. They want actual performance not nostalgia

The fpv GT cars are pretty good against a stopwatch but aren't that fun to drive. I'm thinking of trading my fgx xr8 for a Honda civic type r.. More fun to drive day to day.
Would be slower against a stop watch but more fun
Also thinking of trading your wife in for a man?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #49
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone noticed the amount of good Xr6t's and F6's that are being parted out. Absolutely nothing wrong with the vehicle. The number of remaining cars is lessening each week...
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #50
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
The next generation car enthusiasts are more about buying a car for its specs on a page rather than how it drives, they keep their cara for 2 -3 years and flip em.

If a new model comes out with a 0-100 time that is 1/10th quicker, its time to trade it in. They want actual performance not nostalgia

The fpv GT cars are pretty good against a stopwatch but aren't that fun to drive. I'm thinking of trading my fgx xr8 for a Honda civic type r.. More fun to drive day to day.
Would be slower against a stop watch but more fun
I would disagree. A well sorted car with quality suspension/brake components and a bit more hp is a blast to drive.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #51
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of Left field.

I think a good investment would be to store as many complete Barra Turbo Motors as your could from wrecked cars.

The full potential of these motors is being realised in other parts of the world, and as technology improves they will only become more desirable to the car community for various projects.

You wouldn't have the cost of insurance ect and takes up less space, so might be something to think about.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #52
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Out of Left field.

I think a good investment would be to store as many complete Barra Turbo Motors as your could from wrecked cars.

The full potential of these motors is being realised in other parts of the world, and as technology improves they will only become more desirable to the car community for various projects.

You wouldn't have the cost of insurance ect and takes up less space, so might be something to think about.
There was an expression of interest for a Barra billet alloy block some time ago. For some reason it hasn't proceeded. If it does, it would kill your scenario.
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #53
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I recall as a young bloke none of us thought xseries particularly HO's would end up getting the money they got 10-15-20yrs ago, Coupe's incl since and base models to anything is pulling bucks you shake your head over.
Predicting what "plastics" could be worth in the future no matter what millennial's are into now and other age groups how can anyone predict the future.
I'm not a investor but have 2 Falcons I love and enjoy for I can't see the point owning them and not using them, what is the point.
My kids may think otherwise one day when they have both but in the big picture none of us know what value any of our Fords will be just as we didn't know back in the '70's.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #54
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I recall as a young bloke none of us thought xseries particularly HO's would end up getting the money they got 10-15-20yrs ago
………………………. but in the big picture none of us know what value any of our Fords will be just as we didn't know back in the '70's.
I think most of us have a story about the one we didn’t buy.
In 1985, I spotted a XW GTHO in a car yard for about $7000 (?) and convinced the missus that it would be a good car, just for me, as my daily driver.
Back then if had GTHO on the dash, a big tank and the spare wheel in the right spot, it was a HO. Rebuilt fakes were yet to be invented.
I took it for a drive and my dreams and beliefs were shattered. The seats were uncomfortable, the driving position and vision was outdated, it drove old, and sounded like shaking a bucket of bolts.
Disappointed, I didn’t buy it, and wondered what was so terrific about them, apart from being fast and winning Bathurst. I don’t regret not buying it, as I would have tired very quickly of driving just another old car back then.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #55
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
In 1985, I spotted a XW GTHO in a car yard for about $7000 (?) and convinced the missus that it would be a good car, just for me, as my daily driver.
Back then if had GTHO on the dash, a big tank and the spare wheel in the right spot, it was a HO. Rebuilt fakes were yet to be invented.
I took it for a drive and my dreams and beliefs were shattered. The seats were uncomfortable, the driving position and vision was outdated, it drove old, and sounded like shaking a bucket of bolts.
Disappointed, I didn’t buy it, and wondered what was so terrific about them, apart from being fast and winning Bathurst. I don’t regret not buying it, as I would have tired very quickly of driving just another old car back then.

Just so you know, XW GT’s and GTHO’s came standard with the big tank and spares “in the right spot”. XY GT was the start of the optional long range tank.
The one you drove must have had a hard life to be that bad in 1985, I find the low back bucket seats in XW/XY to be brilliant as is the vision out of an XR/XT/XW/XY. Each to their own I guess.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 06:38 PM   #56
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The difference between why they weren't as desirable then compared to why they are so desirable now is because they are now worth a lot of coin.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #57
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Anything with a manual gearbox at least is to be desirable as more and more don't know how to row gears. I also thin rare colours will be first to climb GT-P in Yellow Manual example is already hard to find then imagine less than 50k on clock.

but right now it's seems to be buyers market except the dreamers trying to sell GT-F's Cobra's and 40th's.
Old 16-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #58
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
Just so you know, XW GT’s and GTHO’s came standard with the big tank and spares “in the right spot”. XY GT was the start of the optional long range tank. The one you drove must have had a hard life to be that bad in 1985.
Thanks for that info. I didn’t know that XW HOs were the same in that regard.
This may seem odd to some younger members, but in 1985 there was no internet, no myriad of books on the subject, and nowhere to easily check the authenticness of a vehicle that claimed to be what is was, apart from asking a mate who may have had some first hand knowledge.
GTs and such were still too current and common to be restored, there was no financial reason for a deliberate fake, and with enough personal experience to be dangerous to yourself, what you thought you were looking at, was what it was.
Maybe the one I test drove was indeed a trashed bomb, but after having driven Cortina GTs, Monaros, Torana XU1s and SLRs, when they were still ‘newish’, I really expected it to be better than it was.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #59
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
Anything with a manual gearbox at least is to be desirable as more and more don't know how to row gears. I also thin rare colours will be first to climb GT-P in Yellow Manual example is already hard to find then imagine less than 50k on clock.

but right now it's seems to be buyers market except the dreamers trying to sell GT-F's Cobra's and 40th's.
Cobra with 60,000km went for $27,000 at Grays the other day, that would have been a good car to mothball if you were going to do it.
Old 16-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #60
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Cobra with 60,000km went for $27,000 at Grays the other day, that would have been a good car to mothball if you were going to do it.
As people have said though, the problem with the limited edition ‘decal’ pack FPV’s is that several have mothballed them thinking they’ll be a great investment. When the time comes to call the investment in there’ll be plenty of them around.
Having said that though 27k for a cobra if it was manual with all of its books, compendium etc etc would be a good buy with those km. Standard BF GT money really.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: