Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #61
hayseed

Default Re: FPV’s resale value in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Cobra with 60,000km went for $27,000 at Grays the other day, that would have been a good car to mothball if you were going to do it.
trouble with Grays though is all the Buyers premium & associated fees they dream up.
Wouldn't be hard to hit $30k...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #62
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
trouble with Grays though is all the Buyers premium & associated fees they dream up.
Wouldn't be hard to hit $30k...
At 30k with those kms it was a steal in my mind. As someone said above, that's immaculate very low km manual BFGT money, i know what i'd rather in my garage.
Old 17-04-2019, 04:01 AM   #63
Venomous1
5.0 means business

agreed! Great looking combo the Cobra.
Old 22-04-2019, 11:54 PM   #64
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITZON View Post
Hi all,
I’d like to see what everyone thinks about the resale value of FPV’s in the future. We’ll say 20+ years from now?

I own an FG MKII F6 Sedan, and I’m wondering whether I should sell it or not.
Part of me says hang onto it because it’s the last of the F6’s.
Other part of me says, it’s not worth spending an estimated $50,000 over the next 20 years to keep it registered, insured and maintained. Just to possibly see a greater return.

I highly doubt they will see resale values like the Phase 3 HO.
But you never know right. Im sure back in the 70’s people would never have thought a HO would be worth so much later in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In 20 years your F6 will increase in value but only if it’s 100% bog stock factory original that’s in showroom condition - and if you have all the compendiums/logs etc.
Think about it. It’s 2039 and a collector is looking for an F6. Add reads, 2014 FG MK11 F6. 100% factory original, unmodified, full log books, suit collector. You’ll get good coin. If it has a list of mods the length of your arm long then forget it in my opinion, they’ll move on till they find a bog stock factory original that they’ll pay good money for.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2019, 04:37 PM   #65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
In 20 years your F6 will increase in value but only if it’s 100% bog stock factory original that’s in showroom condition - and if you have all the compendiums/logs etc.
Think about it. It’s 2039 and a collector is looking for an F6. Add reads, 2014 FG MK11 F6. 100% factory original, unmodified, full log books, suit collector. You’ll get good coin. If it has a list of mods the length of your arm long then forget it in my opinion, they’ll move on till they find a bog stock factory original that they’ll pay good money for.
My thoughts exactly. That’s why I put one in the shed last year!

Last edited by 5.8; 23-04-2019 at 04:56 PM.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #66
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or quite possibly:

Old Ford of some type, never driven. Just want it gone.
Deceased estate. Going cheap, selling off all of dads crap.

Seriously, cars should be enjoyed!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #67
fofo
Banned

I have a friend who has a 2014 FG GT, he thinks its worth big dollars ( he paid 47000 4 months ago, and it has 90000 on the clock) that was the last year FPV were made. That's why he thinks it will be worth big bucks in the future. He wanted a Mustang, I talked him out of it, now he is rubbing it in my face. I should of let him buy an Fm mustang, then let him watch its retail value plummet.
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #68
fofo
Banned

The f6 will be the most collectable car in the future. God knows why i bought a whipple supercharged 5.4
fofo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Or quite possibly:

Old Ford of some type, never driven. Just want it gone.
Deceased estate. Going cheap, selling off all of dads crap.

Seriously, cars should be enjoyed!
Some people still enjoy their cars even though they don’t drive them every day, week or month. Each to their own I guess.
I took a V8 Fairlane that I own for a run today. I’ve owned it about 4 years and have done about 2000km in it in that time. It hasn’t been out since last year but I enjoyed every minute of the drive today.
Not too many deceased estate never driven cars going cheap these days either, a little phenomenon called the internet has put an end to that.

Last edited by 5.8; 23-04-2019 at 09:26 PM.
6 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #70
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8 View Post
Some people still enjoy their cars even though they don’t drive them every day, week or month. Each to their own I guess.
I took a V8 Fairlane that I own for a run today. I’ve owned it about 4 years and have done about 2000km in it in that time. It hasn’t been out since last year but I enjoyed every minute of the drive today.
Not too many deceased estate never driven cars going cheap these days either, a little phenomenon called the internet has put an end to that.
My point is, the car should be enjoyed. Not saying it needs to be driven daily, but it should actually be driven sometimes for enjoyment.

Putting it away to collect dust and not be driven so one day it’s low Km and worth money, is like keeping off your missus so she’s tight for the next bloke.

This is just opinion, but personally I can’t understand the logic of keeping something the way the next owner might want it. Imagine owing a stock car for 20 years and always thinking how it would have sounded great with some extractors and a cold air intake, or a bigger cam, or supercharger, or bigger stereo, or lowered etc but then thinking “nah, the next guy won’t like that”.

Last edited by mike_nofx; 24-04-2019 at 08:04 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #71
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My point is, the car should be enjoyed. Not saying it needs to be driven daily, but it should actually be driven sometimes for enjoyment.

Putting it away to collect dust and not be driven so one day it’s low Km and worth money, is like keeping off your missus so she’s tight for the next bloke.

This is just opinion, but personally I can’t understand the logic of keeping something the way the next owner might want it. Imagine owing a stock car for 20 years and always thinking how it would have sounded great with some extractors and a cold air intake, or a bigger cam, or supercharger, or bigger stereo, or lowered etc but then thinking “nah, the next guy won’t like that”.
Agree. Not a good story to tell in the nursing home that you owned a very desirable performance car that you never drove.

If the plan is to buy something in the hope it will go up in value, instead use the $70 grand as a deposit on an apartment and rent it for 20 years, then see what's worth more , the car or the apartment?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 24-04-2019 at 09:55 AM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #72
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Point taken mate, but we are all different, like different things and have a different view on things. None of my cars have been bought and kept to please the next purchaser, I’ve just bought them and kept them how I want them. I’d much rather buy an original unmolested car than something that has been modified, but that’s just me.

I sold an XA I had because I was bored with it, it was boring to drive and I could get stupid money for what it was. I replaced it with the F6 because I had enough older cars and I wanted something from the FPV range that was relatively new, low km and original to use as much as I did the XA.

The F6 is in a shed but the shed has a roller door and it comes out as much as I want it to.
Old 24-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #73
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Some people also lose interest, move on with life after purchase and do other stuff.

pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2019, 12:49 AM   #74
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

And keep all the OEM parts you've removed stored away so the car can be converted back to stock if needed.

It also doesn't hurt to purchase a few of the cosmetic parts that wear over time from use while they are readily available and store them away as well.

That's what I've done with my Redline.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #75
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The big thing will be parts availability for restorations. As most will know, parts for the BA/BF are quickly becoming obsolete from Ford. Those that have spare bumpers, door, boot lids, dash panels etc, will be in the box seat to pick up cheap vehicles which can be restored. For that very reason, I have been collecting various components that are prone to damage and wear, for such a time. To be honest, I don't think that it's far off.
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #76
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI PSI View Post
The big thing will be parts availability for restorations. As most will know, parts for the BA/BF are quickly becoming obsolete from Ford. Those that have spare bumpers, door, boot lids, dash panels etc, will be in the box seat to pick up cheap vehicles which can be restored. For that very reason, I have been collecting various components that are prone to damage and wear, for such a time. To be honest, I don't think that it's far off.
Try finding new BA/BF FPV parts... I have bee stocking up for a while with new steering wheels, gear knobs, starter buttons, body kit parts etc.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #77
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

When the time comes where suddenly it becomes hard to find a good clean well maintained un-screwed around with example then prices will go up. It won’t be long. Particularly with the F6, most on the market have been molested big time.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #78
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_ba View Post
Try finding new BA/BF FPV parts... I have bee stocking up for a while with new steering wheels, gear knobs, starter buttons, body kit parts etc.
I have three new complete bars, a dash pad, Rear bar, Skirts. steering wheel, scuff panels, hood heat trims to name a few...
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2019, 01:54 PM   #79
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI PSI View Post
I have three new complete bars, a dash pad, Rear bar, Skirts. steering wheel, scuff panels, hood heat trims to name a few...
I have seen people asking $5k for a complete front bar...
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2019, 08:40 AM   #80
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One car that has slipped under the radar is the bf mk 2.5 xr8 clean examples even with mods are now $20k plus probably due to the small build numbers and being the last of the ba/bf series. These cars are also highly optioned from the factory
Old 26-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #81
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
One car that has slipped under the radar is the bf mk 2.5 xr8 clean examples even with mods are now $20k plus probably due to the small build numbers and being the last of the ba/bf series. These cars are also highly optioned from the factory
I agree, some nice examples currently on the market too
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #82
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
There's one for sale on this forum, asking $10,000, in Ego and Manual.

Agree though, nice cruiser to grab and hold on to.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #83
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let’s do some financial maths.

Fiscal year 2016 outlay of $50,000 (in FY2016 dollars) to purchase a Falcon.
Assumed inflation rate FY2019 to FY2039 (using past inflation rate FY1999 to FY2019 as a proxy) is approximately 3.38% compounding

∴ $50,000 in FY2016 will be worth ≈ $83,879 (in FY2039 nominal) dollars

If that money was placed in a bank investment account that earns 0.5% above inflation rate, then, that would be around ≈ $92,443 (in FY 2039 nominal) dollars. So, unless the Falcon sells for more than $92K in 2039, one would have been better off putting the money in the bank.

If that money was placed into making an early repayment on a home loan (assume $350K home load over 30 years reduced to $300K home loan over 30 years), the savings in interest payments alone is $101,000. Unless the Falcon sells for $101K in 2039, one would have been better off putting that money into the home loan.

Of course, this assumes that the Falcon is deregistered and put up on the chocks, and only minimal maintenance is done on it. If not, the cost of rego, insurance, etc has to be deducted from any sale price. If one wants to go to the nth degree, the cost of storage should be factored into any profit or loss (e.g. council rates over land area, cost of storage shed, etc).

Of course, if one likes to drive around one of the last Falcons purely for the pleasure of driving it, that is cool as well. But, best avoid mixing the two reasons for having one.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #84
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another part of the equation to consider apart from supply is the demand. Will there be the demand in the longer term?

We all grew up around these cars and appreciate them but the same is not likely to be true for the next lot I would think.

You simply won't have the fan base we do now and you will most likely have heaps of Commodores and Falcons around.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #85
Venomous1
5.0 means business

The more we read into it certainly looks like the true halo car will be the F6.
Old 27-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #86
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
The more we read into it certainly looks like the true halo car will be the F6.
Have to agree here.

I’d probably look to the VL Calais Turbo for comparison. Up around $50-60k for very clean examples. Being unmolested seems to make little difference as modified versions are worth more if anything.
Old 27-04-2019, 07:50 PM   #87
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Meh....
These things are enthusiast’s and zealot’s cars not investors cars.
Get em out on the road and drive , drive , drive.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2019, 10:00 AM   #88
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have to agree here.

I’d probably look to the VL Calais Turbo for comparison. Up around $50-60k for very clean examples. Being unmolested seems to make little difference as modified versions are worth more if anything.
Yeah, agree, the VL turbo was a very potent vehicle.

Just to highlight my figures above regarding the cost of holding a vehicle. According to the Red Book, the cost of a VL Calais Turbo when new was $31,460. Assuming inflation of 2.9%, this would be worth $76,777 in today's dollars.

Still a loosing proposition from an investment viewpoint.

As mentioned above, my view is to own one (be that hot Ford, Holden, Nissan, whatever) for the pleasure of driving it.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #89
Driver038
Starter Motor

Ok so it has been a little over 2 years since the last post in this thread and im wondering what peoples view of the situation is now??? I keep an eye on car sales every 4 or 5 months just to monitor what's happening with FPV prices and what is available. I don't really look at XR stuff but anything GT, GTP or Turbo Six cars from BA onwards it would seem are now are starting to get harder to find and consequently are starting to rise in price substantially more than 2 years ago. As recently as last week i saw BA GT build No 3 (claim was it was the first one sold) listed at 120+K with over 130k Km on it , That car is now not on Car Sales and I'm not sure if it was sold or removed. I personally don't think one of these vehicles is worth that much money but if someone out there is willing to pay for whatever reason i guess that sets and new scale depending on what is out there for sale. I have a series 1 BA GT which i really enjoy driving and have no reason to part with it ATM, in the first 3 or 4 years i owned this car the prices were seemingly going down not up but since the closure of the ford operation and a few years pass the reality is now here that there are no more and what is left is seemingly being held on to so from what i have noticed over the past 2 years values are now rising,
Interested to know what others here think about it ?????
Driver038 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #90
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Grays online just had an 04 BA MK1 GT for auction. Silhouette, 5 speed manual, sunroof, very nice condition with about 130000 on the clock. It didn't make reserve and stalled at $27100.

I think there's a lot of dreamers on carsales.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: