Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default "Factory Tint"

I've got a bubble in the tint on the passengers rear door (2002 AU3).

The car had "factory tint" optioned by the original purchasor.

Does anyone know who does Ford's tinting warranty work - I don't care whether I have to pay but I'd like the new tint to match the rest of the car.

Also, the last car I had tinted (around 10 years ago) had something like an 8mm non-tinted strip at the top (or maybe it was the bottom) of the window.

Anyone had windows tinted that don't have the strip?

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I've got a bubble in the tint on the passengers rear door (2002 AU3).

The car had "factory tint" optioned by the original purchasor.

Does anyone know who does Ford's tinting warranty work - I don't care whether I have to pay but I'd like the new tint to match the rest of the car.

Also, the last car I had tinted (around 10 years ago) had something like an 8mm non-tinted strip at the top (or maybe it was the bottom) of the window.

Anyone had windows tinted that don't have the strip?
Odds are it's probably been fitted by the dealer at pre delivery time, AFAIK Ford never did tinting in the factory.
Old 23-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, like b2tf said, 'factory tinting' generally involves an approved tinting place getting the business, for example the guy where I got mine done did all Porsche's 'factory tinting'. You could ask at the dealership where it came from (if you know it) where they get their work done.

As far as the strip at the top goes, when the guy did mine I asked him not to do it, but he said it makes it catch on the rubbers too easily and will peel the tint eventually. My fiancees Laser has tint all the way to the top though, it looks a lot better and more 'factory' than the 1-2mm gap.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my au 1 has tint, full window, no strip at the top. when i had my previous car, i bought new, i was told that they now make a "sleeve" as such, whether it's true or not i don't know, to cover the whole window
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your windows have the strip at the top it's a cheap and nasty job all quality tinting has done away with this for some time now the good quality tinting is heatshrunk to make it perfectly fit the contours of all windows giving a factory look
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

i have a au3 xr8 and this has happened right the way across my passenger front window they must have had the same dodgy guy doing the tinting. Lol!
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Just because the dealer organised the tinting doesnt mean its a great job, they usually get the cheepest local tinter to tender for the business so they can make the max profit. This can mean that the tinter does not use quality film (say from the states) and uses cheeper film from china. Just some thoughts, goto a reptubable tinting place and ask where the film is from and get the whole car redone, for a few hundred bucks.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I wouldn't worry too much about matching it. I put 3 different kinds of tinted windows in one of my last cars, and you couldn't tell the difference in colour! As long as you go for the same colour and type, you should be fine.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Umineko
Karasu

actually "factory tint" means the windows fitted to the car on the assembly line have a greenish tinted glass instead of the standard clear glass, the tint you describe is something that was fitted after manufacture. if it was done by a reputable firm there should be a warranty form somewhere, otherwise you are probably better off getting someone like Tint Professor to remove the old film in retint it with something of better quality that has a warranty
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #10
AUIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
actually "factory tint" means the windows fitted to the car on the assembly line have a greenish tinted glass instead of the standard clear glass, the tint you describe is something that was fitted after manufacture. if it was done by a reputable firm there should be a warranty form somewhere, otherwise you are probably better off getting someone like Tint Professor to remove the old film in retint it with something of better quality that has a warranty

Yeah my old EB had a factory tint and it was a slight greenish color and also had a small ford logo that said something like factory tint by Pilkington glass I think. It looked it was how the glass made rather than a film.

As others have said it sounds like yours may have been optioned on delivery by the dealer, I am sure any reputable tint shop should be able to go close to matching it
Old 29-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII
As others have said it sounds like yours may have been optioned on delivery by the dealer, I am sure any reputable tint shop should be able to go close to matching it
Yeah, thanks guys.

I'll contact the original dealer and see where they had it done but I'll probably just get it all done again.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post