Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
tones
Starter Motor

Default "base" on the dash odo display????

Greetings, I hope someone here can help. Its the first time I have posted so a hiya!!!

I do need help! I have an early AU ('98 base model) that has not been started for about 4 months. Battery was dead flat. The battery has been recharged (leads were disconnected) and now when the ignition is turned on the message "base" appears where the odo readout is. I suspect something to do with smartshield but have no other information or ideas. When the started is engaged it "chatters" like the solenoid is cutting out as soon as it is activates the starter and then oscilates. I am not sure if the "base" message is linked, but I do know there was no probs with the starter before when it was last running. I have not yet tries to short the solenoid, but have given it some persuasion to make sure it is not sticking. Any help would be very muchly appreciated. I have tried searching the archives but havnt narrowed it down. Thanks in advance!!

Cheers

tones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

My experiences with base is that it comes up after you reconnect the battery leads, you either start the car or turn the ignition off and back on and base will dissapear.

As for the 'chattering' it just sounds like your battery is dead. They will do that if they don't have enough volts/amps in them to turn the car over.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Also, someone will have to confirm or deny this, from what i remember of my vet auto course, baterries only have a "shelf" life of 13 weeks, give or take. Thats when a bettery sits around for that time doing nothing, the chemicals go bibly book and don't like each other any more, and don't make power.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Also, someone will have to confirm or deny this, from what i remember of my vet auto course, baterries only have a "shelf" life of 13 weeks, give or take. Thats when a bettery sits around for that time doing nothing, the chemicals go bibly book and don't like each other any more, and don't make power.

Cheers
Yep , thats pretty much right .

Todays cars even seem kill batterys in an adverage of around 2 years, roughly these days, due to all the electrics / and powering of the ecu etc before the engine is even firing and powering off the alternator , where as an old car you could almost use the same 'half dead' battery almost forever .

That battery you have now sound half dead as mentioned / if your getting that clicking/ticking sound when turning over the ignition / sounds like not enough power to fire the electronic ignition .

oh , by the way , welcome to the ford forums 'tones' .

:eclipsee_

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 07-07-2006 at 09:13 PM.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
tones
Starter Motor

Thanks kindly for the info and the welcome. I was a little sus on the battery especially being winter as well. I think it was well used beofre its hibination. I have had it on charge so that covers the volts I guess, but as suggested the amps arnt there any more. Thanks again for your responses, and confirming the "base" reading is unrelated. Will get a new battery and report back.

Cheers
tones is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post