Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
halo

Default $$$ can you advise me please?

Just after some advice, can you guys give me an opinion on whether or not the extra price of an AU xr6 over an EF/EL xr6 is justifiable? In terms of quality and reliability..

halo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Absolutely worth it and that is not due to me driving an AU. The AU is a fair upgrade from an Eseries in most regards, the first thing that comes to mind is the headgasket! More power, more room, better engines etc.

If you can stretch it, go for AU2 or 3 - better looks, brakes and better interior.
Old 23-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #3
halo

Yeh just missed out on an AU 2 s pack great condition for 8.2k.

But about what you said... Can you elaborate on the head gasket please?

Also for power.. a kw or 2 here and there I don't see any real power difference.. and the engine is pretty much the same thing as far as I know (which probably isn't terribly much)..

Thanks, James...
Old 24-12-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Head Gaskets in the E series were made of something that was very seceptable to wear and tear- while the AU head gaskets were mult layered metal ones that are practically impossible to blow. Hence why so many E series owners have head gasket issues.

Overall the AU is a better package- its more modern, more features and look reasonably well.

I think the E series Xr6s are faster in a straight line though.
Old 24-12-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As near as I can tell, the interior of the EA to EL is pretty much exactly the same, the AU got a better looking interior, but on the other hand, the outside turned to crap. I don't know what the difference is with the engine, and I cant be bothered to look it up, but I do know the wheel offset changed with the AU, so if you buy any pre-au falcon, theres only a limited amount of wheels available, unless youre stupid enough to fit spacers. With the AU's, I'm pretty sure that the offset is still the same, so yo wont have problems with the wheels sticking inside the guards.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I think the number 1 thing you notice when you go from an AU, is that an AU is about a 1000000 times more rigid. Gone are the ratles and sqeaks of the E-series. Plus they are more refined (quieter and smoother ride) and are more reliable. Its a no brainer AU.

And yep ive owned both an Au and an EL. Ive gotta admit though i like the EL styling inside and out more, but not enough to go back- the AU was progress and it is worth the extra 2 grand or whatever extra money it is.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 02:55 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a bit of a difference in the standard au to xr6, the xr`s have firmer suspension, and also a different diff ratio to get them of the mark a bit quicker ,they also have a few more horses but both go well, agree with the others the au is a step up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
there is a bit of a difference in the standard au to xr6, the xr`s have firmer suspension, and also a different diff ratio to get them of the mark a bit quicker ,they also have a few more horses but both go well, agree with the others the au is a step up.
What diff ratio has the AU XR got. EL XRs have a 3.45, and unless you have the VCT XR6, both AU and EL have the same amount of power.

Try getting the VCT if you go the AU, it has more power an an excellent IRS setup.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 10:44 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

IMO vct is a waste of time.

+1 for the au over e series. much tighter car. engine feels much better (tighter and smoother). interior in series 1's is pretty ordinary but 2 and 3 are better than e series. a/c is a hell of a lot better. brakes are better. the list goes on.

well worth the extra.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
IMO vct is a waste of time.

+1 for the au over e series. much tighter car. engine feels much better (tighter and smoother). interior in series 1's is pretty ordinary but 2 and 3 are better than e series. a/c is a hell of a lot better. brakes are better. the list goes on.

well worth the extra.
VCT might be a waste of time, but the AU IRS is a good thing. Chances are if you buy a VCT it will come with more goodies too. I had an AUII XR6 HP 5 sp and to this day sometimes i wish i still had it and i nw have a TE50 : . I never took a liking to AU's and i was looking at an EL XR when i found my old car. They (AU's) are much more refined, better newer interior IMO better brakes (AUII onwards) and if you get a VCT you get IRS for a better ride
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #11
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

The best things about the AU over the El, is a much more refined and smoother reving I6, more powerful V8 in most cases. and the handling is 100 times better, it handles like a much smaller car and grips very well, where as you jump into an EL and the handling characteristics are very simular to an XF imo. not to mention the AU is alot more quieter then the E-seriers.

The I6 produce the same power but the AUs got a overhauled head, and smoother reving, better quality pistons. which makes for lot better moter, which doesnt sound like your killing the motor above 3000rpm like the e-series did
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
halo

I'm looking for something to keep in the medium term not the long term so things like sound of the engine and lesser quality interior don't really worry me. What does worry me is the head gasket problem that you've mentioned. The AU gasket can be put into the E series engine or so I have heard, does anyone know how much it would cost to a.) buy the thing b.) install (since I can only do bolt ons).

Many thanks for your input, James.
Old 24-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just as a side note, the head on my EL lasted 192,000kms. I had the whole head replaced on advice from my mechanic and I should be able to get a whole lot more kms out of it now. Not sure what gasket was used when it was put back together.
As long as you don't plan on keeping it past about 150,000kms after the last time the head gasket was done, you should be right.
Old 24-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

EL's are very good cars, AU's are simply better, overall.
AU's are actually more like a BA than a EL, sharing basically the same body and suspension (excepting rear). In some ways the AU's are superior to the BA's IMO, and yes I've owned both.

Where a AU comes out significantly in front of an EL is refinement. The AU is a much quieter, smoother machine.
Performance is similar, handling is similar, but the AU does all of it easier and in a more relaxed manner.

Some say the AU has the ugly duckling looks, but I kind of like them when done right. The EL is certainly no stunner in any case. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If your budget does stretch to the AU, it is a no brainer IMO.

Rick.
Old 24-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
As near as I can tell, the interior of the EA to EL is pretty much exactly the same, the AU got a better looking interior, but on the other hand, the outside turned to crap. I don't know what the difference is with the engine, and I cant be bothered to look it up, but I do know the wheel offset changed with the AU, so if you buy any pre-au falcon, theres only a limited amount of wheels available, unless youre stupid enough to fit spacers. With the AU's, I'm pretty sure that the offset is still the same, so yo wont have problems with the wheels sticking inside the guards.
If you reckon the EF/L XRs look better than the AU XR, you need to see a shrink! LOL!

As for the engines, they are lots better particularly in the area of head gaskets and the VCT is great packaged with the IRS. I drove an AU yesterday with full exhaust, XR6 HP cam, tuned with 5 speed and 3.7 diff gears and it was magnificent.

With regards to there being only a limited amount of wheels you can get, that's just plain wrong and I'm surprise no one has corrected you yet. AU's share the same offset as the BA/F so there's a stack of wheel options.

I do however, agree with your point about spacers.

Cheers,

GK

P.S AU XRs have 3.45 diff gears.

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #16
halo

Ok thats great, will definitely ask about BHG since I am looking at 150-200 kms models. Still, if I find one of similar vintage without a replaced head gasket, what am I looking at to replace it money-wise?

I am getting the impression that the AU's primary advantage is that it is more 'euro'/refined (which is true driving my mate's au forte compared to anothers EB - i have never driven an EF/EL though).. in which case I see no need to spend the extra since I'm not really after such characteristics, plus not a big fan of a stock AU's looks... although the xr6 is nice and the te50 kit turns an acne ridden teen into jessica alba
Old 24-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
not a big fan of a stock AU's looks... although the xr6 is nice and the te50 kit turns an acne ridden teen into jessica alba
lmfao
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
What diff ratio has the AU XR got. EL XRs have a 3.45, and unless you have the VCT XR6, both AU and EL have the same amount of power.

Try getting the VCT if you go the AU, it has more power an an excellent IRS setup.
the au xr has 3.45 the the vct has 172 kw.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 08:00 PM   #19
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a S3 XR6 with VCT. It drinks like a horse, so I'd consider jumping into an 8, otherwise stay with the HP. I'm not sure about the IRS V Live Axle thing, I've been in both and the ride feels the same between the two.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It drinks like a horse,
Yeah, but I don't drink. :

Yeah look, the VCT vs HP debate has been done to death. I have driven both IRS and Live Axle setups in the AU platfrom and each has their relative merits. It really should come down to the condition of the car that will be the deciding factor which way you go with it. Honestly, that is the best piece of advice I can give you with your decision.

Get a Late Edition Series II or stretch out to Series III if you can get that far as they are one of the most underated and reliable Falcons ever built.
Old 25-12-2007, 12:45 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The EL XR6 (& 8) is still the most aggressive front on an XR built by Ford. Looks aside, there's not really that much difference between an EL XR and an AU1 XR. They have the same brakes, and if you get a late EL, they even have nearly the same engine (the late ELs got a hybrid EL/AU I6). Power output and torque are pretty much the same, gearbox is better in AU, but the EL is the best up until AU, so not much in it there.

If you are going to pay around $12k for a good low km EL XR6 (say under 120,000km), or $14k for a good low km AU1 XR (same kms), personally I'd go the EL.

If the AU you are comparing to is a 2000+ model (especially AU2 or 3) for around the $14k mark, then you'd be mad not to get the AU2 regardless of kms (within reason). Why? The AU2 brakes rock, the interior looks better than the AU1 (though IMO EL is still better than either), and did I mention the brakes on the AU2s are great? You can, of course, upgrade brakes on the EL, or even on an AU1 to something similar to AU2 spec, but if you are paying to get it done, it will be around the $2k mark, which you may as well just put into the initial purchase price anyway.

Note: Prices I have used are not indicative of the market, or if they are, it's a fluke. They are just to illustrate that if the value f the cars is close, then it's going to be a hard decision, because the EL looks better/meaner, but the AU is newer, though in HP form, not necessarily better. Newer is usually better, but not if the EL you are looking at is a 98 model, then it comes down to personal preference on looks, IMO.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #22
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I will add my 5c worth if that is ok?

My Lucifa is a wonderful car and is mucho better than the EB I had. It is a series 1 with ABS and I have never found the brakes wanting. If you are going to buy one, get the AU like most of the others have said. One more GOOD point too, there are MANY more parts available
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #23
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as everyone said get an AU

go for an AU2/3 that way youve got the better brakes
head gasket? IIRC
maybe rear power windows in the XR6 VCT
better looking bodykit IMO
updated cluster
most bugs of the AUI are ironed out

parts are almost swappable from E series-AU-B series
ie belt covers, to scuff plates

and youve got the knowledge of all these people on the aufalcon.com threads to help you, save you money and get the best out of your car if your willing to listen

goodluck mate

go venom red as well if you can :P

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #24
halo

Thanks for the input guys, really helping me out.. I've got about 7k at the moment and thought instead of saving/borrowing another few gs to get an AU or buying an EL, I thought maybe to go down to the previous shape... There's an ED on the market, XR6 guise.. I've been reading that the EF update was quite superior... Any reliability issues with this beast? I've got something on my mind which is attractive in both price and kilometers.. Thanks for the good work, James..
Old 28-12-2007, 05:27 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
go venom red as well if you can :P
One of the most awesome colours in the AU Range if I do say so myself!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post