Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

View Poll Results: How do you rate your Mondeo
Great car! Recommend one to all my friends 44 72.13%
Good compared to others in price/size class 9 14.75%
OK, but could be better 4 6.56%
Mistake to buy it. 6 9.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #31
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Mondeo is used for work, and yesterday I spent over 4 hours driving during a 12-hour day, including driving through a quarry (it needs a good wash now). It's a great car for doing a lot of driving in a day - comfortable, quiet, safe, economical and generally a pleasure to drive.

Sure, it has some minor problems, but it's a Ford and if you want everything to work perfectly, then buy Japanese.
Old 29-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
buts44
Starter Motor

I am more than happy with mine and every car has its irks & quirks
Old 29-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #33
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In short, my 2003 BA SR was better built, less/no rattles, no leaks, more comfortable, better ergonomics, and more reliable.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2009, 03:24 AM   #34
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
In short, my 2003 BA SR was better built, less/no rattles, no leaks, more comfortable, better ergonomics, and more reliable.
I leased a BA XR6 for 3 years. I enjoyed the car, but don't get me started on the problems that I had with it...
Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #35
FRIKA
FRIKA

Well I was so dissapointed with my Mondeo XR5 that it has now been sold and exchanged for a LV Focus XR5. Didnt even look back at it when I drove out of the dealers yard.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #36
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIKA
Well I was so dissapointed with my Mondeo XR5 that it has now been sold and exchanged for a LV Focus XR5. Didnt even look back at it when I drove out of the dealers yard.
An I in for a shock if I trade in my TDCi as far as resale value is concerned!!

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #37
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar

apstar

Resale value was crap. But that was my choice. bad time to sell good time to buy.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #38
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar

apstar
My local dealer is advertising new TDCis for $32,000. Makes you wonder what you could actually haggle the price down to with the news in today's paper that Ford sales have dropped 20% (the Ford Territory suffered a decline in sales of more than 40 per cent and fewer than 2000 Falcons were sold, among its worst monthly results on record - the article below says it might be the end of the road for these models soon).

http://www.smh.com.au/national/oh-wh...0402-9l40.html
Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #39
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im sick of readine these articles in papers about the death of Falcon etc. Been reading them for about 5 years now, with no evidence. Actually I remember the XD was going to be "The Last Aussie Falcon" and even that was in doubt. (Great slogan "30 Years of last Aussie Falcons")

They did the same with mitsubishi Maga/380 and the little aus ford capri, and back to P76 before that. The media hound and doom say the cars till buyers get too afriad to buy them, then they say "we told you so".

Adn what a shockingly bad report that is, since when has Alan Mulally been "The president of Ford Australia"?

Does the writer even know the car industry and Ford? or is he reciting what others just told him?

Geez Im grumpy this morning!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #40
Dusty1
Giddy up!

IMO,the biggest thing that's going to affect the re-sale price is constant complaining about little niggles.

People hear this, and then start thinking that the car is terrible and not worth buying.

As I've said, with the exception of the water that used to go into the hatch, I am pretty happy with my October 2007 build TDCi Mondeo. And more importantly, my partner who drives the car feels safe in it, and likes to drive it. Can't be much happier than that.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #41
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The biggest thing that will effect the realse of my car is the fact that the floor pan will start rusting out and the carpet will rot and stink because of the water that comes thru the door everytime it rains and the fact that Ford will do nothing about it.

If you put your hand under either of the front seats of my car at the moment you need a towel. It is soaking.

You may call it a niggle, I call it a lemon. And if people dont complain, the manufacturers wont improve or they will go bust as people refuse to put up with it. Sorry but after 20 years of buying Fords, my next car will not carry a blue oval.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
rendrum
Starter Motor

Have a Tdi hatch and rank it the best car I have had. Except for the the wet boot issue that is common I have had no problems at all. Now have 20k up and have been hauling an 18 foot light weight European caravan up and down the East coast over the last 18 months. Car tows like an ox and gives great economy at 11.5L cruising with the van on the back at 95/100ks. Looking forward to going up the Red Centre later this year. Love it!!!!!
rendrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #43
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The biggest thing that will effect the realse of my car is the fact that the floor pan will start rusting out and the carpet will rot and stink because of the water that comes thru the door everytime it rains and the fact that Ford will do nothing about it.
or you can do this to your Ford!!
http://www.caradvice.com.au/27408/ho...tall-a-satnav/

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #44
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
IMO,the biggest thing that's going to affect the re-sale price is constant complaining about little niggles.

People hear this, and then start thinking that the car is terrible and not worth buying.

As I've said, with the exception of the water that used to go into the hatch, I am pretty happy with my October 2007 build TDCi Mondeo. And more importantly, my partner who drives the car feels safe in it, and likes to drive it. Can't be much happier than that.

I would have to agree with Dusty1.

I am more than happy with the XR5 except the water running off the hatch when the tailgate is lifted. Getting it fixed is now more a point of principle with Ford Australia rather than something that would make me dislike the car. In reality how often does it rain?

CRC called again today saying that they still believe the car meets specification, and this issue is not therefore a defect!!!!! Trading Standards is the next port of call on that one. Is a car that you can open the boot in the dry "Fit for Purpose"?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #45
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you put your hand under either of the front seats of my car at the moment you need a towel. It is soaking.

You may call it a niggle, I call it a lemon. And if people dont complain, the manufacturers wont improve or they will go bust as people refuse to put up with it. Sorry but after 20 years of buying Fords, my next car will not carry a blue oval.
Wow, I didn't know it rained enough in Oz for something like this to happen.
_2:

This clearly is a fault with the car - the problem is your dealer and Ford AU if they won't fix it. And you should take this further if they won't play ball.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #46
cammag

Quote:
the biggest thing that's going to affect the re-sale price is constant complaining about little niggles
I expected better build quality and better product support. Sure it looks pretty and all but when exterior trim and the plastic panels across the interior keep popping up it is very disappointing.

The rattles and the groans and creaks in the body of the vehicle is certainly some thing to experience and then to be told this is normal. There is nothing normal about those sounds.

And to suggest that "biggest thing that's going to affect the re-sale price is constant complaining about little niggles" is surprising to say the least. The biggest factors will be the QUALITY of the vehicle and to a lesser degree perceived value.

I am happy you were able to have your well known leaking tailgate fixed. I do think it is a bit rich to complain on these forums about your leaking tail gate across numerous posts. Then when eventually you have your fault repaired you tell people they were "expecting too much" (2/3 down page 1) and that people complaining is effecting your resale price. :

Other people's problems may not seem important to you, now you have yours fixed, but do not dismiss what other people are experiencing as little niggles effecting your resale.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #47
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammag
I expected better build quality and better product support. Sure it looks pretty and all but when exterior trim and the plastic panels across the interior keep popping up it is very disappointing.

The rattles and the groans and creaks in the body of the vehicle is certainly some thing to experience and then to be told this is normal. There is nothing normal about those sounds.

And to suggest that "biggest thing that's going to affect the re-sale price is constant complaining about little niggles" is surprising to say the least. The biggest factors will be the QUALITY of the vehicle and to a lesser degree perceived value.

I am happy you were able to have your well known leaking tailgate fixed. I do think it is a bit rich to complain on these (if you read it properly, I never mention a leak) forums about your leaking tail gate across numerous posts. Then when eventually you have your fault repaired you tell people they were "expecting too much" (2/3 down page 1) and that people complaining is effecting your resale price. :

Other people's problems may not seem important to you, now you have yours fixed, but do not dismiss what other people are experiencing as little niggles effecting your resale.
Thank you for your comment. I do think that this forum provides a great place to air grievances and to work together to get issues fixed, and to also get a feeling for the issues that are currently on driver's minds.

Other people's car related problems are of interest to me, as I am having some of the same ones too.

I made comment of the water running into my boot from the hatch in one sentence on the post you mention in your post 'I go [sic] the rear hatch sorted' full post here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...5&postcount=17. I started a thread in order to get owners involved to lobby Ford to fix it (two months after you joined this Forum http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11236987). Once I was lucky enough to get mine sorted, I provided those who wanted it with the steps that I did to get it done. Although I did mention that anyone else would be lucky to get it done. You can be sure that this is the last time I mention it.

Further, I don't think I 'complain[ed] on these forums about your [my] leaking tail gate across numerous posts'. I believe I kept it to one thread and mentioned it twice on this thread, but am happy to be proved otherwise. I don't think I refered to it as a leak, rather water running into the boot when I open the hatch. A 'leak' would be easier fixed.

I also agree that the issues you are having with 'exterior trim and the plastic panels across the interior keep popping up' is indeed very disappointing. Have you been back to your dealer to get these fixed? I was talking to a XR5 driver and he had the same issue, and a trip to the dealer (two actually) sorted it for him.

Being a hatch, mine makes a lot of groans, but for what you are saying about the sedan, doesn't sound normal. I had some suspension come loose, and the dealer dealt whit this and a lot of the groans stopped, perhaps that might be your issue too?

I do believe that people expect too much, and your use of a weirdo 'smilie' certainly won't change my view on that. The QUALITY (thanks for that shout too!) of the car is what I would expect for the money I paid. Everyone has different opinions and becasue mine are different to yours, does that make mine wrong or less worthy? The world is full of differing opinions, and that's what makes life so much fun. Daily we deal with a wide variety of interesting people who complain about every small niggle, and those who don't. Life's like that...

I believe that we all should work together to help each other out and have been committed to doing this since I joined this forum in December 2007. I try not to be negative on this site and in my postings, as it may be taken as a bit of sour grapes.

With your most recent issue with a replacement windscreen wiper (http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=22), I think there was information given in that post about the same wiper that could be purchased through SuperCheap Auto for a lot less. Maybe that's a good place to get replacements? I'll certainly be looking into it.

It's the long weekend coming up Cammag, why not do what I'm going to do: pack the family up, and go for a long drive. During the long drive don't dwell on the little niggles that are getting to you. You might even find that the Easter Bunny has been and given you a big chocolate egg that might give you reason to smile, and take your mind off your many car related issues.

Remember that over 65% of participants in this forum believe it is a 'Great car! Recommend one to all my friends'. BTW, I didn't vote that.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.

Last edited by Dusty1; 08-04-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #48
Katoomba

Quote:
...Remember that over 65% of participants in this forum believe it is a 'Great car! Recommend one to all my friends'. BTW, I didn't vote that.
Note though that the other 34.15% of participants in this forum do not believe it is a 'Great Car....'.

Perhaps you have money to burn or your Mondeo is a company car, but I think $40,000 or so is a lot of money for a car and not only should we expect better QC (mine's developing these rattles, groans and strange noises at 44,000 kms - I no longer drive with the stereo off) but even more is for FORD Australia to be more responsive to owner's complaints.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #49
cammag

Hey Dusty1,

I am not a fanboy or an employee of Ford or anything like that, not saying that you are of course. I am just someone who paid a lot of money for a very average car. With very average treatment from 2 Ford dealers and also from Ford CRC.

So in the meantime if I have a problem or fault with mine or I find something interesting to post, well, I will.

Attempted bullying and belittling me will not stop that from happening. I hope that does not effect your resale too much.

You need to accept that as happy as you are with yours, there are others who are not too happy with theirs. Carry on again if you like, I won't be taking any notice of you.

PS - Shortly after posting this morn about the wiper, I bought one from Repco for $32. Just about to post that on the wiper thread.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #50
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
but even more is for FORD Australia to be more responsive to owner's complaints.

I agree with Katoomba re Ford Australia. Both the dealers (mine has proved to be pretty ordinary), and CRC seem to have the budget of Ford Australia as a priority, not customer satisfaction. I think this, more than the actual quality of the product, has instigated the most discussion across the forum. I suspect that this will lose them more sales than a few niggly defects on a generally very good car.

We have all identified particular traits of our own vehicles which we dislike or with which we are dissatisfied, (water in hatch, DTE accuracy etc) but we could have the issues with anything we buy from a house to a piece of cheese.

Lets face it, nothing in the world is perfect. The real issue is how we deal with it. You can either let it get you down, try to fix it, or just accept things for what they are and move on. (or spend $500k on a Rolls and even they break down (my brother worked in the factory)).
Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 AM   #51
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two thirds of the owners who've voted here are very happy with their Mondeo. A few are not very happy at all, and of course you're the ones writing most of the posts. It sounds to me that the issue is not so much the car, but the unwillingness of Ford AU and their dealers to fix the problems. If you look at the Mondeo forum in the UK, you'll see a similar attitude as well, although not as bad as in Australia.

I think Ford as a company really need to change their attitude. They make some great cars, but if they keep ****ing off the people who buy them, especially in this current market, then they're probably headed in the same direction as GM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #52
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Two thirds of the owners who've voted here are very happy with their Mondeo. A few are not very happy at all, and of course you're the ones writing most of the posts. It sounds to me that the issue is not so much the car, but the unwillingness of Ford AU and their dealers to fix the problems. If you look at the Mondeo forum in the UK, you'll see a similar attitude as well, although not as bad as in Australia.

I think Ford as a company really need to change their attitude. They make some great cars, but if they keep ****ing off the people who buy them, especially in this current market, then they're probably headed in the same direction as GM.
Reason from across the ditch. I also note that a lot of the members who joined early on, no longer post on this Forum (this was one of the early threads on the new Mondeo http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11199255). Perhaps they are happy with the car and see no point in commenting further. I've attempted to put up alternative views and it has been to my detriment.

Ian B also reasons correctly that it is Ford and CRC that are the problems, it is the unwillingness and blocking that is most frustrating. And also agree wholeheartedly that "we could have the issues with anything we buy from a house to a piece of cheese." Be careful here Ian B, you too could find yourself being ignored because you attempt to raise an alternative view. And because you have agreed with me in a previous post, you too may be in the dog house not only by association, but also due to you not agreeing 100% with what others maybe posting.

As NZ XR6 says "A few are not very happy at all, and of course you're the ones writing most of the posts." Squeaky wheel syndrome.

I think I'll step back a bit now and watch for a while. I am still happy with my car (I'm probably as happy with it now as I was when I first picked it up). Sure there are some little things that I think could have been done better, not just quality but also with Ford CRC, and there are some issues that are now becoming more apparent, but I am not letting them get to me, and they are not the focus of all my attention.

I believe that all views are important and that this forum helps others out by encouraging a free flow of information and opinions. This is becoming lost on this forum, and the forum will be worse off because of it.
Previous:
Old 09-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #53
Katoomba

Quote:
... and there are some issues that are now becoming more apparent, but I am not letting them get to me, and they are not the focus of all my attention.

I believe that all views are important and that this forum helps others out by encouraging a free flow of information and opinions. This is becoming lost on this forum, and the forum will be worse off because of it.
Mate, now be fair: this is the first time you've mention some issues, you've always lauded the car (I've actually assumed you were a dealer).

As for others leaving the forum perhaps we are still here because we do care.

All some of us have done is point out that we are not entirely happy and we have issues with the car too. If we were talking about $20 toasters from Kmart no problem. Cars are, for most (all?) of us, the second most expensive purchase we make - how long does it take to earn $40,000 nett? - and I think we can expect a decent car. What's the point of a long warranty if they refuse to recognise a fault? And charge exhorbitant prices for parts such as the wipers?

If this is bad publicity for Ford then who else can they blame except themselves.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #54
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

I have no issues with people speaking as they see it provided it is a fair assessment and not just a because an employee having a bad day rubbed them up the wrong way. That is what forums are about.

I personally have been lucky along wit 70% of respondents to this survey to get a great car from a dealer I am happy with. Any issues raised have been attended to promptly and under warranty.

I live in a reasonably wet area 577mm YTD and have not found the minor amount of water that dribbles in from the hatch a significant problem. If a fix was offered I am not sure I would take it as it involves refitting the glass something I can do without.

Am I an dealer or have ties to dealers .... no ...... just a happy chappie with a good product I am delighted to drive. My wife is delighted as well which unfortunately leaves me to drive the shopping trolley more often than before.

So guys speak it as you see it but be fair as we didn't buy a Rolls
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #55
ian b

I registered as Great Car as I have only two issues, one being when it failed to start and the dealer/Ford Aust took 3 weeks to fix it, despite the dealer assuring me when I made the deal that all parts were readily available if required, and then also failed to close out some other warranty issues whilst off the road, the other being the water running into the boot which is something that Ford Aust could easily fix if they were to accept this as a defect to be fixed under warranty.
So my only complaints are really down to poor dealer/Ford CRC performance.
Otherwise I stand by opinion that this is a great car overall, good fuel usage and performance when I need it, which were the two reasons I bought it in the first place.
So overall the car meets my expectations.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #56
ajay1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay1940
I suppose that, like any other mass produced item, quality is variable. I've had my TDCI Hatch for fifteen months and have had no problems. Everything works as it should, and I've only been back to the dealer for service. It's quiet, smooth , powerful, economical and rattle free. But, and it may be just me and my arthritis, I'm not happy with the seats. I buy new every three years, and might try Volvo, next time. Any comments on my choice?
Further to my post, above. I swapped my seat for a Recaro Specialist L model. Not exactly cheap, but a damned site less than a trade-in.
So now I can add, comfortable, to the list of good points.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #57
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Ian B also reasons correctly that it is Ford and CRC that are the problems, it is the unwillingness and blocking that is most frustrating.
This is my biggest disappointment with the car as far as software upgrades and the rear window trim go. Ford just don't want to know about peoples gripes in this area.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #58
Philjarrah
Starter Motor

Default Yes Yes Yes No No Don't think so.

G'Day Folks,
I joined to get an insight into the Mondeo & Ford AU. Thinking of changing my Diesel VW Wagon and decided to do the rounds. I have lived in the UK and followed all the reports and reviews (always on new cars). What a pity they don't report on cars after they 2 yrs old. The Mondeo always received rave reports, handling, space (why no wagon in Oz), quality etc. Yet Fords CRC and depreciation is terrible out there. No different here. Good car when in the showroom but lousy quality control, follow up service, reliability and should we even consider "Last-ability". Where in 9yrs. circa Laser 2000!"!!!
Have a read of the "JD Power Surveys" Many years in the US and quite a few in the UK. From what I've seen over here, no change. Will Ford and their likes ever change, will they ever learn. I've been on the road for quite sometime with Motorbikes(British that disintegrated beneath me) and cars from Alfa's(also fell apart) to VW's. As someone stated cars are the 2ND most expensive acquisition and most of us cannot trade in every couple of years when the problems start. I guess I will have to keep looking. The TDCi is a good engine. I am a diesel fan such a pity that Honda gives us a raw deal in Oz by not bringing in the the excellent Accord Diesel Wagon.
Thanks for the info. How did we cope before the internet? Right who else makes a diesel hatch or wagon.
Philjarrah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 02:49 AM   #59
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The diesel wagon choices in NZ were Octavia, Legacy, Mondeo, Passat and Peugeot 407.
Old 14-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #60
Nappa
Impressive...

ive had three Zetec's over the last 10 months and i was really happy with all of them. My cars never go over 7000kms but i didnt experiance any issues and no water leaks. My only gripe is i couldnt get very good fuel economy.