Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
bigev
Bloke

Default Petrol or Diesel?

Hi All.

After a lot of research and test driving the Missus and I have decided on an MB Mondeo. It was a line-ball decision with the Mazda6, but only just.

The final question is petrol or diesel? I can't justify the $3.5K-odd extra price of the new diesel, but a demo one puts it in the same ball park as new petrol.

Is there any particular reason to choose one over the other?

I know the diesel is better on economy, but from my understanding the servicing is a tad more. Not to mention I'll need to find myself a diesel mechanic. Are there any pitfalls to owning a diesel?

I'm sure you'll all appreciate by now I'm not looking at sheer Kw's either. I wanted to get the XR5 but the missus wont drive a stick so it is out of the question.

Thanks.
Bigev.

bigev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say get whatever you and SWMBO like that fits your budget.

We chose the diesel after I drove a Mk3 Ghia Wagon in the UK for a week in 2008 and I got hooked on the economy and it was a manual. The longterm fuel economy readout said 49.3 mpg at pickup and a week later I handed it back with the readout at 50.8 mpg after about 1500 miles half on motorways at 5 mph above the limit keeping pace with the traffic.

The big difference is the torque as it develops only 60 nm less than the Territory from half the displacement, so with a mass of 3/4s that of the larger car it can get moving in a hurry, but there is a bit of turbo lag.

We typically get mid sevens (litre/100 km) but have seen it as low as 5.8 on a longer trip.

However diesel fuel is smelly and messy compared with unleaded, so you might find yourself as the refueller of choice.

We are now up to 9000 km travelled and have had no concerns, except the dealer lost the average fuel consumption readout when they tried to upgrade the display, waiting until a scheduled service to get that fixed. This seems to be a problem ie local dealer service centres are not (or were not) up to speed with the on board electronics and the upgrades that are available, but this is not a vehicle fault.

But I do like the distance to empty readout at more than 1000 km after a fill.

Cheers

Alan

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Had the diesel since 2008. Servicing at the Ford dealer I think is about the same for the diesel and petrol. I fill the car up and it does stink, and it can leave a residue on the hands and car.
I've heard some people complain about the noise, but once you in and driving you don't notice the noise.
I get two weeks out of a tank, and that's about 600 kms between fill ups. I'll be getting another diesel when this lease is up.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigev
Hi All.

After a lot of research and test driving the Missus
hmm now that would be interesting!! on a serious note the diesel to me is great BUT it needs mileage to bring out the best at least 20,000km it becomes quieter and it feels like the performance improves greatly

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
wusyc

I have a diesel. I drive very (believe me, very) short distances most of the time. My average consumption is 9.7L/100km which is pretty bad. I still get about 650km a tank which is not bad at all.

I love the torque. Not that I like a car that starts fast but it gives me more confidence in turning into busy traffic that doesn't have long gaps between cars.

For short distance driver, one thing to watch out is the Diesel Particle Filter. According to the manual, the car needs to be driven on highway speed (I presume 80km/h+) for 30-60 minutes at least once a month. This is to allow the DPF to burn off the soots that get trapped inside.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
warren77

Personally, I went the XR5 Turbo Petrol
But I have an MA and that was the best spec.

Now with Titanium spec available, as much as I love the XR5 fun factor, the diesel would be very tough to compete with.

Not sure the petrol version of the Mondeo (non turbo) has the power to deal with such a big car. That is where the diesel comes into its own (in my view).
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How soon do you want to buy? I would wait for the updated diesel with the DSG box or even the new EcoBoost model
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:06 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd suggest driving both and buying whichever you prefer. I don't think there's any reason not to buy the diesel, unless your driving is mainly short trips in the city. But then, why would you buy a Mondeo?

I've driven both and would buy the diesel myself simply for the performance. The Mondeo is quite heavy, especially as a wagon, and feels a little underpowered with the petrol engine.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
bigev
Bloke

Thanks to everyone for the comments - very helpful.

I'm pretty set on the diesel, and I think you've helped me decide.

I'd love to wait for the next release, but the prices seem to have really decreased since the new model was announced. I've come across a new (in the lot) Titanium diesel for $40k. The dealers are all starting to dump the demo and existing stock.

Buying a car is a bit like buying computers, a better one is always about to come out.
bigev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines a petrol, my mate has diesel, I drive both quite a bit.

I like the diesels better torque for hil climbing and overtaking, butthe petrol is smoother and quieter inside.
The petrol is no powerhouse but its not too bad.
I prefer the petrol.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post