Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default "Fog" lights in front bumper C2R kit

Well, the other night I noticed that the two little lights I have in my front bumper are no longer turning on.

I've just been out to my car and checked out the fuses, I checked the book and there is one in the under-the-bonnet fuse box marked "space for spare" or something, and mine actually has a fuse in there, so I thought it could be that one controlling them, but the fuse in there is fine. If it is hooked up with another fuse, then surely something else in the car wouldn't be working, and everything is fine.

None of the wires to them seem to be broken or anything. The little switch mounted on the dash that turns them off & on also lights up green when you turn them on, like it previously did, but the actual lights themselves still remain off.

I'm kind of stumped, any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

wouldnt the "space for spare" fuse be a spare fuse lol?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

You need to test if there is power to the lights first. You need a multimeter or test probe.

If there isn't then you need to trace the circuit to/from the switch on your dash. There will be a break in the circuit somewhere.

If there is power to the lights then it is two blown globes (or two bad earths).
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
wouldnt the "space for spare" fuse be a spare fuse lol?
LOL you have a point. I just assumed it meant it was a spot to wire anything new up to!

T3Man, good idea, I'll raid the shed see if I can find a multimeter, and check the globes.

If it gets too much effort for me, the car's going in soon for a couple of things to get fixed under warranty, so I'll get them fixed too :P
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
You need to test if there is power to the lights first. You need a multimeter or test probe.

If there isn't then you need to trace the circuit to/from the switch on your dash. There will be a break in the circuit somewhere.

If there is power to the lights then it is two blown globes (or two bad earths).
There should also be a fuse near the battery - this wasn't factory wiring, I assume, which means it will have it's own power supply from the battery, and any auto-lecky worth their salt would put an in-line fuse within 30cm of the battery.

So..if it's not a blown fuse and it's not blown globes, then more than likely it's a dicky relay.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks heaps JC, I'll check it out.
Quote:
Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also, have you checked to make sure the output of the switch hasn't come unplugged? i mean the wire that goes to the relay to turn the lights on
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Yeah, checked all that tonight.

On flicking the switch for those lights off and on, it seems that the relay is clicking.

Also, there's power getting right down to the lights fine (or so the multimeter says).

I'm putting my money on blown globes now, will check that out most likely on the weekend when I've got time to start unscrewing the things and stuff...looks like the lights mounted behind the bumper could be sealed beams - if they are I will be replacing them with something that I can change the bulbs over easily in!!!
Quote:
Old 10-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also as suggested above, before you go pulling the lights, check the grounds on them, unless you already did, and make sure they are grounding properly
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Was all checked, dad's an electrician (not auto) so kind of knows what to look for, got him to give me a hand

Everything seems fine on the electrical/wiring/grounding side of things.
Quote:
Old 10-05-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

Yes, I think they are sealed beams - if you want to replace them with the same light (which you may have to do because I think the mount is specific for those lights only) I have seen them in Auto Parts shops much cheaper than from the C2R people. I've also seen them at the Parklea Markets. That's if they are the (I think) SIS brand or something???? My son has them on his car which is not here for me to check out so am going just on my (sometimes bad) memory
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

T3man, what I might do is see if I can check out supercheap or somewhere of the like, see if I can find some that mount & fit in there, but have changeable bulbs. Would be a lot easier and cheaper in the long run than changing the whole unit over everytime they stuff up.

Of course, if this is not possible I'll stick with the sealed beam units.
Quote: