Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 09-02-2018, 03:17 PM   #1
WildRacer
Cougar King

Default Cougar - SCT Tuning?

I am in the process of a Full 3.0L Swap from a 2003 Ford Escape to putting it into my 2000 Cougar.

I have been replacing a few components in the engine which I felt were old such as the bearings and rings. The whole engine will remain relatively unchanged from the Escape's original 3.0 design which includes injectors and manifolds from the escape, I will be using the Cougar's ECU and Wiring Harness when it's in the car.

The problem then is after I get the car running I have heard it will run terribly without some sort of tune.

Down in SA I have been contacting a few different dyno places but no one wants to take it on. As apparently our cougars aren't compatible with SCT? or so I was told . I have also been looking into it on the newcougar forum and apparently our Aussie Cougar ECU's are different to the Yank ones.

Which leaves me wondering, has anyone had any success with tuning their Cougar at all? (With 2.5 or 3.0L) or knows if our Cougars are able to be tuned with the SCT Xcal4 tuner?

Cheers

Mods:
Escape 3.0 V6
ST220 UIM and LIM
NPG Fuel Adapter
California Clutch Stage 2 Disk and PP
ST200 Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Updated Shift Forks
ToyoSport Exhaust Headers
Custom 2.5" Exhaust dual
BAT 21mm RSB
PRT Heavy Duty rear drop links
Energy Suspension Polybushes all around
Eibach Suspension
Eibach body kit
01 Gauges
01 Steering Wheel
Aluminium Sports Pedals
Sony Double Din HU
ST200 Airbox
ST200 TB
Direnza ST200 Aluminium Radiator
Goodridge Brake Hoses
WildRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
REDDYZ

Default Re: Cougar - SCT Tuning?

Try Herrod Motorsport. https://www.herrodperformance.com.au/contact-us/

It's in Melbourne though. They were ready to do a complete custom tune on my cougar back in 2012.

You can also try BPR -
Bullet performance racing as well.
(https://bulletperformanceracing.com.au/store/index.php/)

SCT Flash (www.sctflash.com) have authorised tuners in Australia. You can contact their support for the list. Hope this helps.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
WildRacer
Cougar King

Thumbs up Re: Cougar - SCT Tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ View Post
Try Herrod Motorsport. https://www.herrodperformance.com.au/contact-us/

It's in Melbourne though. They were ready to do a complete custom tune on my cougar back in 2012.
Thank you for the reply REDDYZ

Weirdly I did contact Herrod and they told me it was not possible to do a Tune on the Cougar Until I told them that other people have had tunes for their cougars with SCT.

Did you give them any specific extra information at the time in 2012 such as the ECU code? Harrod have asked for my ECU strategy code but I am not sure where I can locate it. I was told I need to get it read from a tuning place?

Mods:
Escape 3.0 V6
ST220 UIM and LIM
NPG Fuel Adapter
ST200 Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Updated Shift Forks
Custom 2.5" Exhaust dual
BAT 21mm RSB
Eibach Suspension
Eibach body kit
01 Gauges
01 Steering Wheel
Aluminium Sports Pedals
Sony Double Din HU
ST200 Airbox
ST200 TB
Goodridge Brake Hoses
Old 18-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
REDDYZ

SCT sells tuners specific to Cougars which can backup current program and flash it with SVT ECU program. It's pretty much plug and play sort of. On the top once they back up current ECU they can custom dyno tune as well. Not sure what happened in these 5 years things have changed a lot.

Anyway you can hookup a scan tool and go into Engine management which will give you the ECU code. Mine is an Eibach cougar and can give you the code off my car if that helps.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
WildRacer
Cougar King

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ View Post
SCT sells tuners specific to Cougars which can backup current program and flash it with SVT ECU program. It's pretty much plug and play sort of. On the top once they back up current ECU they can custom dyno tune as well. Not sure what happened in these 5 years things have changed a lot.

Anyway you can hookup a scan tool and go into Engine management which will give you the ECU code. Mine is an Eibach cougar and can give you the code off my car if that helps.
I have a 2000 Eibach MTX as well so your Strategy code should be identical to mine I would assume. That would be good if you could send it to me, I will pass it onto Herrod and see if they will authorise the tune for the Cougar. Thanks!

Mods:
Escape 3.0 V6
ST220 UIM and LIM
NPG Fuel Adapter
ST200 Flywheel
Torsen LSD
Updated Shift Forks
Custom 2.5" Exhaust dual
BAT 21mm RSB
Eibach Suspension
Eibach body kit
01 Gauges
01 Steering Wheel
Aluminium Sports Pedals
Sony Double Din HU
ST200 Airbox
ST200 TB
Goodridge Brake Hoses

Last edited by WildRacer; 18-02-2018 at 02:12 PM.