Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #121
Sprint347
Tickford

Default Re: AU ECU chip tuning

I'm a complete numpty at tuning but from what I've ready the SCT will effectively steamroll the factory tune, even if I revert back to standard. Being a T3 that idea doesn't thrill me, although nor does opening the ECU and installing a Quarterhorse.

I'm bored on a Saturday afternoon, I'm going to plug the tweecer non-rt into the T3 computer and try Paul Booth's EEC Editor to pull some definitions.

I'll most likey ship the car and Xcal3 off to a proper tuner, but if I can get some data and have a play without causing damage I'll give it a go because I can't help myself
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #122
Sprint347
Tickford

At least it can see the tweecer so that's a good sign...

SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi

Last edited by Sprint347; 12-11-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #123
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

I think your mad (no offence) if you don't go the QH. I have had 2 SCT tunes and there were things in my tunes that I was told were modified and actually weren't, and other things tampered with that should have been left alone. Both tuners had altered things that they had no idea about. Never again will I be at the hands of so called experts when we have full live datalogging and tuning parameters at our fingertips. Have you read the latest posts in this thread?
-Craig

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11323999
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #124
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Just re-read my post, looks like a bit of a rant. It's not. I'm just amazed at the capabilities of the QH and BE software.
You mention about plugging the Tweecer into your ECU. That's the J3 port anyway isn't it. If you go that trouble, just install the QH and you're all sorted. Can read the stock binary and you have a starting point to run with.

-Craig
Old 12-11-2011, 10:11 PM   #125
Sprint347
Tickford

I understand what you're saying, however ultimately it comes down to weighing up my faith in a chosen SCT tuner's ability over my own. I am not a tuner. Although I have understanding of the basic concepts I can't afford to 'take a punt' on a car that owes me alot of time and money.

I've already got the XCAL3, the tuner is well known here and I would rather pay the $700 to drive in and drive out with a safe and 'good' tune.

If I go the QH route, I need to buy the QH itself, wideband, arrange dyno time and learn how to tune and hope I get it right. On top of that I need to 'hack open' the ECU which I really am not keen to do since it's so rare (12SB).

It's a hard one.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #126
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Completely understand where you are coming from. I didn't realize you already had the x-cal3. I have always followed your progress with your T3 and admire you taking on such a project.
-Craig
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #127
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Oh wow, i didn't realilse this thread i started over 2 years ago was even still going, lol.

I have pm'd you back, and yes you can use a S2 onwards V8 eec and chip that rather then open up your 12SB.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #128
Sprint347
Tickford

Thanks Craig, you've done a great job on yours too I've watched in interest.

I too have seen some shocking things done by 'tuners', I've heard detonation on WOT in brand new cars which has made me cringe.

To be honest I'm still leaning towards the Xcal/tuner route, but I'll certainly do the research into the QH product and see if I can get a download from my EEC using the tweecer.

Thanks for the PM 5.0, I've got a few options to weigh up. At the moment I'm just toying around
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 23-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #129
Sprint347
Tickford

Quick update, I sold the TwEEcer and purchased a Quarterhorse in it's replacement.

Although this is specifically for the Sprint, I'll download the T3's tune 'for safe keeping' and entertain the thought of tuning it myself.
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 23-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #130
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Oh good stuff.

As for the T3, when you get that read, can you send it to me please

You'll be amazed how much power you have over the T3 if you do choose to have a play with it.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #131
Sprint347
Tickford

I'd love to but I need a strategy to do it

I'll have a tinker with the Sprint first and see what happens. I might still buy another AU2 V8 ecu and use that instead of playing with the 12SB ecu.

Can I get a LC1 kit with the digital (blue) afr gauge and use that for data logging? They're about $200 landed from the states on eBay
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 23-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #132
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes you can, you'll need the FTDI chipset USB to serial adapter too off ebay if your laptop doesn't have a serial port.

As for the strategy, well you know where to find that
Old 23-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #133
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Any ideas what strategy 12SB belongs to? Or will it be a bit of trial and error?
-Craig
Old 26-11-2011, 09:58 PM   #134
Sprint347
Tickford

Im not sure Craig.

LC1 and DB Guage kit should arrive soon, I'll get onto my EEC and BE2010 license.

I've been reading alot on EECtuning.org, I still cant get a login but I can read through all the data to get started.

There's ALOT to digest, I'm still not sold on the idea of tuning the T3 myself but it wont hurt to take a look.

Shane
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 26-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #135
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

12SB is NVXF3 strategy, same strategy as what i am using on my car, except with the X2CD Calibration.

Has to be AU smartshield V8 eec.

Ask Craig and Stu about how easy the installation of the quarterhorse is, to put your mind at ease. It is really rather simple, and as i said in PM, no bending parts and so on like the Early Mustang eec's.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #136
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Tech...0J3%20Chip.pdf

This is TIperformance's J3 chip installation instructions, as it mentions in it as well, that you dont need to move components on AU engine management.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #137
Sprint347
Tickford

Thanks Matt, looks like we're all systems go.

I'll try not to do your head in, as you can tell I'm pretty cautious/protective with my T3 lol
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Old 24-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #138
Rfordsfun

hey guys, ford the AU2 VCT fairmont ghia, no engine mods, is there a software update? or tune worth getting ? cheers. just headers 2.5 hi flow n cat back.
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #139
Andrew S

I just had a J3. Chip from TI installed.The installer tells me I don't need a flash tune. Is this correct ?
Old 30-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #140
markscottefxr8
drive hot Cars just cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
I just had a J3. Chip from TI installed.The installer tells me I don't need a flash tune. Is this correct ?
not now u have a J3 chip,, basically the flash tune rewrites your ECU whereas the J3 chip bypasses the original tune on the ECU
markscottefxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #141
markscottefxr8

just a bit of help for anyone wanting to learn how to tune,, if u search moates on Youtube,, the company that makes the quarterhorse and j3 chips they have 6 x 3hours on tuning,,, basically they film the entire course they offer..
Old 30-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #142
Andrew S

Thank you for that information.
One of my problems right now is sorting through a pile of conflicting advice and opinions regarding the AU and chipping or flashing.
I'm getting totally different opinions but so far no-one has convinced me of what can and what can't be done.
Dyno shops here in SQ seem unwilling to want to perform any tuning operation on an AU which leads me to believe there can be problems when dealing with the ECU of these cars.
Old 31-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #143
Rfordsfun

would an AU2 fairmont ghia benefit from a chip ? if only to stop the ech being a dick, and running rich . cheers FORDO's
Rfordsfun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #144
markscottefxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
Thank you for that information.
One of my problems right now is sorting through a pile of conflicting advice and opinions regarding the AU and chipping or flashing.
I'm getting totally different opinions but so far no-one has convinced me of what can and what can't be done.
Dyno shops here in SQ seem unwilling to want to perform any tuning operation on an AU which leads me to believe there can be problems when dealing with the ECU of these cars.

I dont know what Dyno shops are saying that but some of the blokes of the forum have been doing it for years.. If you want to be able to tune your car yourself get a moates quarterhorse, if not then your Dyno shop will recommend whatever they are partnered with in most cases.. Contact the guys at TI performance or Matt at www.bp-racing.com.au to answer your concerns and recommend whats right for your vehicle.. good luck mate, let us know what direction you take