Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #1651
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
This. The little touches in my VF make it such a hard package to go past. Little things like aircon that turns itself down when you take a call, HUD, speed limits that show up on the HUD, satnav directions displayed on the HUD, etc.

They might seem ****y, but really, the only people I hear saying those sorts of gadgets are pointless are those people trying to feel good about owning their woefully underequipped Falcons.

Honestly, unless Ford are going to sell the FH for a bargain price, why would you even look at it?
I dont think so. There are plenty of cars that sell in the top 10 without all the **** the VF Commodore has. Yes its desirable and yes its good but how often do you use half of it. Ive had 2 WN Caprices now and the blind spot monitoring in them isnt precise, I still have to check blind spots. The HUD I turned off after the first 200 kms because it was annoying. The lane departure feature in the commodore is crap, it doesnt vibrate the steering just beeps and show a light in the cluster if your outside the lane. Same goes for the crash avoidance, it only works half the time I have found?? All useless **** that cannot be relied upon.

The Falcon still has superior motors and gearboxes, but never mind that, we all like cheap toys!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #1652
Tock

I consider myself a tech head, have all the gadgets at home, work in IT, yada yada. The FG for me has just enough cabin tech (BT, screen, etc). Combine that with what I think is a great looking car that goes like all buggery... Can not complain.

YES, all that tech in the VF and other cars is great (and super interesting for me personally) and I will certainly look at it for my next purchase. But I can honestly say that the extra tech is not one of my considerations. Surely I am not on my own...

EDIT: 100% understand why people want all that, and why it sells cars. My point is that not *everyone* wants that stuff, as generalised in above posts. Should the new Falcon have all the tech to sell cars though? Yes it should!
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #1653
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Why's that mate?
Because all those names were dated.

See how most "Falcons" dont even have a Falcon badge anymore? Why is that? Because people associate Falcon with taxi and renter car. Same goes with Fairmont Ghia. It was seen as being an old mans car, with an undesirable name. For a 25 - 35 year old a G6E is far more desirable then a Fairmont.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #1654
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk6t View Post
You make a point, its tech and gadgets that are going to get people to even consider taking the time to look at a Falcon, let alone buy one.

I'm the first to admit my GT is very under equipped...for a GT. I know FPV chose to invest and focus on the motor which I think was the better option to take than investing in tech and gadgets.

But Ford should have made greater tech advancements with the FG, especially when they knew what the VE had to offer and could also see what other makers like Hyundai were offering.

Essentially to draw people away from other cars in the Ford sales yard, the Falcon needs to be more advanced than the Mondeo and Focus....otherwise what's the point of buying a Falcon when people could buy a cheaper, more economical more technically advanced Mondeo or Focus...it would be good if someone was looking at a new Focus and the sales person could say "why don't you look at the all new Falcon which is only slightly more expensive, however is safer, has more gadgets and features and is on par with fuel economy and it looks fantastic"...like I said, if a sales person can't say that about a Falcon, why would the average person consider one???
Classic case in point...I was at the Holden dealer just before Xmas stitching up a red hot deal to help my daughter into a brand new small city car, (she'd had so many problems with old junk cars I thought I'd bite the bullet and help her into her first brand new car), Ford had no car to get anywhere near the cost what I could get my kid a new Holden Barina Spark for) and they had a new VF SSV-Redline sitting there in the showroom.

I went though some of the features of the Redline with the salesman and compared them to my Mk1 GT-P and I was profoundly shocked at how out of date my 2011 car is.

Fact of the matter on the tech front is Mr Market is telling Ford they need to dramatically lift their game. The VF SS-V redline is selling really well OTOH the Falcon, oh dear.

Last edited by Rodge; 21-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #1655
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Classic case in point...I was at the Holden dealer just before Xmas stitching up a red hot deal to help my daughter into a brand new small city car, (she'd had so many problems with old junk cars I thought I'd bite the bullet and help her into her first brand new car), Ford had no car to get anywhere near the cost what I could get my kid a new Holden Barina Spark for) and they had a new VF SSV-Redline sitting there in the showroom.

I went though some of the features with the salesman and compared them to my Mk1 GT-P and I was profoundly shocked at how out of date my 2011 car is.
You bought your kid a Daewoo??

You can get Fiesta's here for like $14,990! Far better car then a Daewoo Kalos!
8 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #1656
Rodge
Banned

Cheapest Fiesta I could get here was $6,000 Kiwi more. Barina Spark came up trumps in a crash test survey for micro cars.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/267514/h...hs-crash-test/

Last edited by Rodge; 21-02-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #1657
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Can we please keep this thread on topic.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #1658
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Hi Ford Australia

I am a business owner, looking for 2 new FH Falcons.

Both to have some fruit inside including:

Keyless entry
Keyless start
Heated seats
and of course carry over current features........
I never asked for "safety" tech like HUD, Lane departure, idiot's brakes, fools indicators etc.

Im asking for "comfort" techs. I do 40,000km per year. I want comfort. I am a consumer, i have the cash, i have a right to ask, i have the right to move to another brand.

In 2008 when the FG came out, it was "still" acceptable for the Falcon to lag in "tech". When the Mk2 came out in 2011 it was "still" acceptable for the falcon to lag in "tech"......but 2014???????

Democracy is a wonderful hypocrisy when it comes to the Falcon. But what is the TRUE majority of new car buyers in 2014 wanting???

Truth hurts sometimes guys!
Old 21-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #1659
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

FG is out of date, tech wise, as it was signed off on in 2007! All serious investment since then has been put in to the motors as everyone was winging about fuel economy and changing emissions laws. This current update will be to little to late overall, but I don't blame them at all as the sales do not justify it.

(People speak about Government cash bail outs, how about basic practical help with all these ever changing environmental laws etc! Imagine the dollars saved if they did not have to fiddle with the motor all the bloody time!)

Personally it is not a problem for me as I consider leather, cruise control, climate control and a stereo input about top notch! Ha ha!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.

Last edited by janddbone; 21-02-2014 at 04:18 PM.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #1660
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I think you'll find that the new Falcon will be priced accordingly - low tech, low price.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #1661
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
I dont think so. There are plenty of cars that sell in the top 10 without all the **** the VF Commodore has. Yes its desirable and yes its good but how often do you use half of it. Ive had 2 WN Caprices now and the blind spot monitoring in them isnt precise, I still have to check blind spots. The HUD I turned off after the first 200 kms because it was annoying. The lane departure feature in the commodore is crap, it doesnt vibrate the steering just beeps and show a light in the cluster if your outside the lane. Same goes for the crash avoidance, it only works half the time I have found?? All useless **** that cannot be relied upon.

The Falcon still has superior motors and gearboxes, but never mind that, we all like cheap toys!
It wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the car wasn't so lacking. The FPV's should've had the R-spec modifications upon release in '08, the XR6t should've at least had the option of a brembo 4/1 upgrade, the diff bush issue should have been resolved with FG...

And then there's the minor stuff. Black hood lining in premium models, the option of a sunroof, 'follow-me home' lighting (VE's illuminate when you unlock them which is handy when you're in low-light areas at night)

I would have bought a brand new one in 2011, but didn't see the point when an '08 F6 was still as well-equipped as they get.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 04:48 PM   #1662
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchook View Post
So would those who paid $70 odd for a 335 GT be upset to see an identically powered 335 XR8 for $50 odd? just asking
No . . not upset because I didn't pay $70k odd, I paid $64k odd and got leather and sat nav.

And I get a GT badge which is better than a XR8 badge. (No offence to all the XR8 owners )

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.

Last edited by brismike; 21-02-2014 at 05:04 PM.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #1663
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike View Post
No . . not upset because I didn't pay $70k odd, I paid $61k odd and got leather and sat nav.

And I get a GT badge which is better than a XR8 badge. (No offence to all the XR8 owners )
Did the price change over night? Yesturday it was $64,500?
Old 21-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #1664
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah good luck with heated seats!!
Just sat in a new Transit Custom and would you believe it's standard. Sadly, with all the tech now available within Ford globally one hell of a large car could be built, economies of scale allowing...which we know won't now.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 21-02-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #1665
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did the price change over night? Yesturday it was $64,500?
Sorry Dash GT . . That was a typo . . too late to edit it . . it should be $64150.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #1666
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was going to say.. have they increased the discount!!
Old 21-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #1667
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Enthusiasts are sold by the drivetrain, no question. But enthusiasts are a bit more discerning aren't they? They're going to look at an FH and see the same drivetrain and no interior improvements, so its going to be a hard sell if they already have an FG. And the non-enthusiasts do look at the standard features list as a means of judging the car as a value proposition. If the price is comparable to a Commodore but it comes with so much less, its just not going to add up.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #1668
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Enthusiasts are sold by the drivetrain, no question. But enthusiasts are a bit more discerning aren't they? They're going to look at an FH and see the same drivetrain and no interior improvements, so its going to be a hard sell if they already have an FG. And the non-enthusiasts do look at the standard features list as a means of judging the car as a value proposition. If the price is comparable to a Commodore but it comes with so much less, its just not going to add up.
Well I think my FZ XR8 335 super charger will be a better proposition at 55k then a lets say VF GTS at 95k...

4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #1669
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I think my FZ XR8 335 super charger will be a better proposition at 55k then a lets say VF GTS at 95k...
I agree. COmpared to FPV or even lower HSVs, its hard to justify a GTS.

I'd have waited a little while for an XR8 to compare, but with expected release being October (?) and sales falling every month, I had doubts whether it would even be released. Time will tell.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #1670
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post

But, what's wrong with regular fries?
Why bother with power windows when a winder does the job fine? Because as each year goes by, the standard is raised. And Ford can't get away with offering 2008's standard in 2014. That's one reason why Commodore is outselling Falcon 5 to 1 at the moment. Whether you like the technology or not, if you want to be competitive it needs to be there.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #1671
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Enthusiasts are sold by the drivetrain, no question .
And unless XR8 has 275s, that equation will also be incomplete.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #1672
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If tech is so important why do all the dual cabs sell so well?
Oh and how many Accords do Honda sell again?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #1673
Motorbreath310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Why bother with power windows when a winder does the job fine? Because as each year goes by, the standard is raised. And Ford can't get away with offering 2008's standard in 2014. That's one reason why Commodore is outselling Falcon 5 to 1 at the moment. Whether you like the technology or not, if you want to be competitive it needs to be there.
I agree. My post was meant as a pickle-take to those who question the need for all the added gizmos cars have now.

The attitude of "what more do you need?" versus "this is what you could have!"

Whilst I do agree, to some extent, that most of the equipment offered now, borders on 'gimmickry'; The market ultimately dictates what a car needs to have, in order to win more buyers and ensure it's future survivability. Falcon unfortunately fell behind in that department, and well - here we are, unfortunately.

In a perfect world - we'd have a global RWD platform, with a back-to-basics 'XR6t/XR8 Sprint package, for the enthusiasts, and a Calais-V-matching G6/8E for the rest. And the option of a V8 XT*

*and a healthy market for said products.
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #1674
GTMOND

There is one thing people can do if they want more tech, buy another brand of car if it means that much, it would be nice to have a fully kitted falcon as the last one, but they have a small budget for the update. We are lucky to get any update at all, so there is no point flogging a dead horse.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #1675
jay289

Get a grip people.

I assume everyone on here loves Falcons, but 80% of people on here bag the Falcon for not having this or that.

No wonder they can't sell them when even the Blue Bloods bag the **** out of them.

I will never own another car without a Falcon badge!!!!

I for one will be buying the new Falcon no matter what the handbrake says(wife)
jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #1676
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay289 View Post
No wonder they can't sell them when even the Blue Bloods bag the **** out of them.
They can't sell them because they aren't listening to potential customers!

That and poor quality using cheap parts from China, thus causing problems that should simply not exist on a car of 2014 vintage. Transmission milkshakes and diff bushes should simply have been resolved, many years ago.

The above put off many who bought the cars new and vowed not to again. Can you blame them? I can't. Ford Australia had plenty of warning.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #1677
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Thankfully problems that are easily fixed for only a few thousand and then many happy years of motoring!
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #1678
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay289 View Post
Get a grip people.

I assume everyone on here loves Falcons, but 80% of people on here bag the Falcon for not having this or that.

I will never own another car without a Falcon badge!!!!

I for one will be buying the new Falcon no matter what the handbrake says(wife)

The falcon used to be the pinnacle of Ford Australia's range. Clearly in 2008 it was relegated to the bottom. Why......because the small amount of "blue bloods" ignored the fact that the "One Ford" philosophy brought the start of the rise of all other models.

Think about it: Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, Kuga.....lol even the new Transit competes with their respective competition and has "tech". The new Transit has heated seats, does that make more sense than the 2014 G6E having them?

Please, its the total sum of consumers that buy a product, not just one minority.
Old 21-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #1679
jay289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
They can't sell them because they aren't listening to potential customers!

That and poor quality using cheap parts from China, thus causing problems that should simply not exist on a car of 2014 vintage. Transmission milkshakes and diff bushes should simply have been resolved, many years ago.

The above put off many who bought the cars new and vowed not to again. Can you blame them? I can't. Ford Australia had plenty of warning.
The parts Ford manufacture are some of the best parts you can buy.

And for the milkshake issue, its around 2% of cars made.

Diff bushes, well if you flog the **** out of any car things will brake!!!
jay289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #1680
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
If tech is so important why do all the dual cabs sell so well?
Oh and how many Accords do Honda sell again?
Have you been inside a top of the range Ranger, SR5 or Amarok? The Ranger Wildtrack comes with sat nav, rear cameras, power heated front seats, dual zone climate control with voice control, auto wipers and lights...etc.
The Accord doesn't sell because people don't like large-ish cars any moreand it doesn't have the fleet sales of the Falcon/Camry/Commodore. The "new family car" segment is fairly much SUV only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND
There is one thing people can do if they want more tech, buy another brand of car if it means that much, it would be nice to have a fully kitted falcon as the last one, but they have a small budget for the update. We are lucky to get any update at all, so there is no point flogging a dead horse.
And everyone is. That's the problem...

Just for the record, I love the Falcon and plan to buy a FH. But I'll be honest and admit that the more practical size, fun handling and safety/comfort features of the 2015-16 Focus ST is going to make that decision very difficult.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post