Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2005, 11:09 AM   #31
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

I love the Territory!! bigger and better things to come out of that i say

Simon
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #32
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVEXR6NA
The current XR8 is basically $12,000 more then a standard XR6 just for the donk. Is there really that much more money involved?
Not when you think about it.. Check the difference in prices of the 6T & XR8 utes... :
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOCKWAVEXR6NA
I think Holden and Ford have just got greedy with the Performance cars and therefore are making good money out of them. Same goes for the GT and GTP.
Definately.. but you'd be surprised at the amount of margin that isn't in GT & GT-P for the dealers..
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #33
RATT

True to a point but in Fords defence the XR8 has standard 18's, 6 stack prestige sound and auto is a no cost option. But I still agree there is still a big difference.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

So we’re saying there’s a group of buyers who want a V8, but for various reasons don’t want the XR8 (mainly $$$, but also insurance, bit too flashy image). Yet the XT 220 doesn’t quite meet expectations, I think partly because it is still the base model and despite the 17” wheels is a bit plain & unexciting.

An SR8 with Futura level of trim, the current SR bodykit & sports suspension, 5 spoke wheels, fog lights, etc and a choice of bright or subtle colours and trim would be about on the money wouldn’t it? Not sure exactly where that would end up on pricing though (particularly comparing to the n/a XR6). As for engine mods, I think a change of redline and cam to suit would be the best, and easily give the power gain needed.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yeh basically an SR with 240 KW V8 and some more sporty rims would do the trick I think.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #36
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The decision reflects cus tom er feedback that most Holden performance car enthusiasts want to make a statement rather than blend into the crowd.

So tell me why FPV haven't listened to there CUSTOMERS.

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:04 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think Holden only sold about 400 SV8's last year, which isn't exactly setting the world on fire. SS probably sold 10 times as much. Ford has the XR6T as its competitor in that price range, even if its not a V8 it has sold a heap more than the SV8 has. If Ford did release an XR8 Junior it would cost about the same as a T and would be absolutely spanked by it if it used a 3V motor. I recon making an XR8 Sprint would be better than making a stripped out, lower cost V8, its better for the brand image than a cheapo model.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:14 PM   #38
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Oddly I dont like SV8's (strippers arent my flavour) but here in S.A. I see TOO MANY of them. Dont look undersold to me!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it

Last edited by PepeLePew; 05-01-2005 at 06:21 PM.
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

You'd expect that in Adelaide, its a Holden town. I can't even remember the last time I saw an SV8 in Vic. See lots of SS Commodores though.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #40
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew
Oddly I dont like SV8's (strippers arent my flavour) but here in S.A. I see TOO MANY of them. Dont look undersold to me!
Same. I see more SV8s than BA xr8s, see VYSSs everywhere!!! But yes its Adelaide and they sure love their Holdens down here lol

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 06:53 PM   #41
RATT

I see more VY SS Commodores in Sydney than SV8's as well but I'd say there are more that 400 though. There was a thread on the old site detailing exact numbers up until October 04 I think and it was more like 800+.
A good percentage of those 800 would probably buy an SS next time, so it has been a resonable success. Now with it looking like an SS in VZ form it should do better.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Gotta remember the old SV8 was like an XT V8 basically, it was a pile of shit! Its now a baby SS minus the 18 inch rims, i reckon it will be extremely popular and will cost some SS sales but what difference does it make providing theres good markup in both!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #43
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Well in Bathurst, its the other way around. I see heaps more XR8s both utes and sedans than SS and SV8 put together. For all the holden success there over the years, there are a lot more dedicated ford supporters to be seen thats for sure. As for the XT 5.4, I'd gladly have one if they came in a wagon and with a few mods, 260kW wouldn't be hard to achieve. My inlaws have a SV8, I've taken it around Mt Panorama and I've gotta say that the best thing about it was the fe2 suspension. Good grunt too out of the 235kW but it was the suspension for me. SV8 is ok but I'd prefer a falcon V8 any day even it did come a little underpowered, it wouldn't be hard to make them go harder.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #44
VooDoo
Lux-0-Barge Racing

There were a shitload more than 400 SV8's sold. I remember seeing that amount in 1 month (probebly what your recalling)

The SV8 with bolt-ons has done 12.2sec passes in QLD and now in the 11's with a cam only. Not bad value for a 40k car really. If Ford brought out a 40k BA with the 260 it would do very well. Hopefully with Bossedit we will see a few 12 sec BA's with some bolt-on mods. As long as the sales are taken from the jap cars and euro trash im not complaining. I love lining up against the BA's and Holdens. The ricers are just annoying flies
Join #ls1 on irc.oz.org All Car Enthusists Welcome
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 12:26 AM   #45
WASP
Whipple Induced

I think some are forgetting the SV8 has the same motor/driveline/suspension as a the SS. If Ford was to meet the SV8 on equal value for money it would want to be no less than SR spec with XR8 suspension, 6 speed and 260 BOSS motor to boot. Using the 5 speed and Triton V8 even warmed over would be pointless IMO.

I actually think it will never happen anway. Holden has the SV8 and Ford have XR6T. As others have said the sucess of the XR6T's compared to the SV8's say it all.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:32 AM   #46
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
The ricers are just annoying flies

BuZZ : :
Old 06-01-2005, 02:28 AM   #47
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
BuZZ : :
Swat :
Splat!

sorry you just left that open :Reverend:
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 AM   #48
Pearly
Lowriding

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the time spent at most functions taking photos free for us 

I like it. Looks good.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 PM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

When BA first came out, and VY first came out... it was a bit interesting....

182kW XR6 vs 171kW S Supercharged
220kW XT V8 vs 235kW SV8
240kW XR6 Turbo vs 235kW SS
260kW XR8 vs 260kW Clubsport
290kW GT vs 300kW GTS300

then VYII came along, and it changed a bit
182kW XR6 vs 171kW S Supercharged
240kW XR6 Turbo vs 245kW SV8
260kW XR8 vs 245kW SS
290kW GT vs 285kW Clubsport

The XT V8 kinda dropped out of the picture. During this whole time, SS sales, from what I've seen on the roads, have stayed above SV8 sales, despite the added value of SV8. XR6 Turbo is more popular then the SV8, and is generally better value. There is no need for a cheaper Ford V8 sports car, the XR6 Turbo has it all covered. The only thing I would do in the low end segment if I were Ford is tune the n/a 4.0 to make a, say, 200kW XR6 to stick it to the SV6.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
There were a shitload more than 400 SV8's sold. I remember seeing that amount in 1 month (probebly what your recalling)

The SV8 with bolt-ons has done 12.2sec passes in QLD and now in the 11's with a cam only. Not bad value for a 40k car really. If Ford brought out a 40k BA with the 260 it would do very well. Hopefully with Bossedit we will see a few 12 sec BA's with some bolt-on mods. As long as the sales are taken from the jap cars and euro trash im not complaining. I love lining up against the BA's and Holdens. The ricers are just annoying flies
400 SV8's in a month hey. What drugs are you on. There was a thread somewhere that listed the YTD sales of Ford and Holden performance cars and the SV8 had sold less than all the other models bar the GT and the Pursuit. It was less than 500.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #51
YOOT
Banned

Who would by an SS now? I wouldn't if I wanted an LS1 Holden. I have seen heaps of the VY SV8 with SS bodykit, looks identical other than the wheels and much much cheaper!
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #52
RATT

Here are figures I found. They are 04 till the end of Sept:

Ford Falcon XR6: 8168
Holden Commodore S/SV6: 5667
Holden Commodore SS: 3303
Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo: 2690
Ford Falcon XR8: 1875
Holden Monaro: 1615
HSV ClubSport/R8: 1391
Ford Falcon GT/GT-P: 881
Holden Commodore SV8: 610
HSV Coupe: 213
Old 09-01-2005, 11:45 PM   #53
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The GT/GT-P is looking allright againt's the Clubsport/R8.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post