Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
Pouki
Crusin

Unhappy How to lower a EL FALCON

as i am trying to lower my EL at the moment and i am going to put other springs in it can someone please give me a run down on how to do all of it at the moment i am finding it hard to remove the original spring and i dont know what to do could anyone help me please

If you live in usa check this website: Cvs weekly ad.
Pouki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

what stage are you at ? are you doing the rear springs first or the fronts ? Have a read of this thread should explain how to do the fronts. The rears are easy as, i think someone explains it in that thread.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=20880
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #3
Pouki
Crusin

im starting of with the back thanks for the thread mate
Old 13-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Damo
Banned

also if you're doing the fronts without spring compressors DO NOT remove the top shock nut untill you get the assembly out of the car. Once it's out get up against a wall and put something infront of the top nut while you slowly undo it ( i used an old seat cover) this will stop the nut going flying off when it pops off.
Old 13-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You take the top seat off standard springs without compressing the spring!?!? Got more guts than me....

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
FairmontEL
Driftin shopping trolleys

mmm ud think it shoot out pretty bad... but i did it the same way on my car and there was barely any excitement at all it simply just fell apart.
FairmontEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Damo
Banned

yeah it comes off with a little bit of force, but as long as you're prepared for it she'll be right.
Old 13-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
yeah it comes off with a little bit of force, but as long as you're prepared for it she'll be right.
a little bit? i've seen a couple of guys end up with springs in the face doin that sh*t. there's a fair amount of pressure there. i've done a couple of falcons before and those front springs take a bit of compressing
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
FairmontEL
Driftin shopping trolleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLynx
a little bit? i've seen a couple of guys end up with springs in the face doin that sh*t. there's a fair amount of pressure there. i've done a couple of falcons before and those front springs take a bit of compressing
Dunno mate ive done my car a mates and probably seen another 2-3 spring changes never seen any of them shoot off with much pressure. But if u wanna be safe why not buy the spring compressors i guess i got some to use when i was doing mine but after seeing how quick and easy it was without em i didnt even bother using them. But if uve never seen it done buy some compressors better to be safe then sorry hey.
FairmontEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #10
XRated
Shoot.

LOL I can see the thread now, "I lost an eye removing the front shocks." It's best to be safe and just buy a set of spring compressors for $30 or so to do it properly.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Front spring removal = bench vice + blankey :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
Damo
Banned

I too changed my springs on my own, and have seen a couple of others done this way. If you're carefull then there's no dramas. I don't know how you'd cop a spring in ya face. There's not much force at all.

But yeah if you don't know what you're doing or you're a soft **** get some compressors. :P
Old 13-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

El-M, I would take the fronts somewhere to have them removed and put back on. The tool that most Ford dealers have make it SO easy to do and they can make sure the top plate goes back in the right place. Mark the Shocks too to make sure they go back in the same place and same side that you took them out of

BTW, it isnt being a soft **** to do the thing PROPERLY. Most who dont do it properly are future victims of self inflicted injuries.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 08:34 PM   #14
efgiar
rofl copter

spring compressors can be more dangerous... wen they are fully compressed they are under more force then anything, and if they do happen to snap (like what happened to my brother) then ull be in alot of crap because the compressor will blast off and if ur lucky itll miss u... then u have to worry about the spring, pay somone to do it and supply the springs is my suggestion

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #15
Damo
Banned

^^^exactly, I'd rather one tiny little nut come off then a big **** spring compressor. I am happy that my springs have been installed PROPERLY, and not by some mechanic who may have missed something here or there. I've seen this happen.

Anyways this is going off topic. ELmalaca did you get your springs in ? did you use compressors ? :P
Old 14-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #16
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The only way I can see it being dangerous if if you were to undo the little nut while it was directed at your face. Just lie the spring assembly on the ground and have something ready to catch the nut. Spring compressors take about 5 times longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #17
Pouki
Crusin

thanks for all the advice guys i will let u;s know how i go with it when i get some time to actually do it cheers
Old 14-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #18
Walkinshaw
Two > One

I thaught i was dodgey

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2005, 08:18 PM   #19
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dodgy? Dodgy is cutting a half-coil off superlows. Which I'm about to do.
Old 15-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #20
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

go the grinder!!!
lol. I always get my mods done by my mechanic. it may cost me slighly more (mates rates) but i know its done properly and that its going to be reliable. and if i have any dramas he will know exactly what it is.

dont ge me wrong im all for doing things myself hence why i pulled the dash out to remove the pedal box to weld the clutch pedal on. i guess if you use occy straps in the engine bay for what ever reason the system will only be as strong as the occy strap.

im sure this is so far off the origional thread but oh well, we all get carried away at some stage :
Old 16-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #21
superloweb
Fairmont6

do yourselvlves a favour and buy some spring compressors, i worked with a bloke who lost his thumb and pointer finger on falcon springs. it was under diff circumstances cause the strut had fallen apart and he was pulling it out the car with no top nut left. if u seen what i have ull pay the extra 30 bucks for some compressors, all i bodge job fellas take note
superloweb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #22
falconkid
On here daily

hey, i have king spring lows on my car and i wanna change the fronts to super lows cos the back sits too low for the front. would i need spring compressors again or will the springs be short enough just to drop over the shock. i have lowered GT monroe shocks.

JIM
falconkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #23
Pouki
Crusin

hey guys i have successfully lowered the back of my car and all is good sits good but now the front is too high and i was just thinking is it pretty much the same procedure when changing to front springs or is it hard ??? can someone please tell me and also give me some advice on how to change these springs and also can someone tell me what shockers i should get and how much the will set me back thanks guys

Andrew
Old 21-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #24
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELmalaca
hey guys i have successfully lowered the back of my car and all is good sits good but now the front is too high and i was just thinking is it pretty much the same procedure when changing to front springs or is it hard ??? can someone please tell me and also give me some advice on how to change these springs and also can someone tell me what shockers i should get and how much the will set me back thanks guys

Andrew
I pulled out my front springs & shocks again today, it only took me about an hour and a bit - that included using spring compressors to put them back in (front sits perfect now, not too low).

I wrote this if you did the back then you can do the fronts.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post