Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Snapped Belt

Hey guys. My mate has a Series 1 Forte, and yesterday in the carpark, I pointed out how his belt or one of his pully's was squeeling like crazy.

Anyway, on the way home, he rings me and tells me his belt had snapped. Car started to idle rough and then stalled about 100m later. He is getting it fixed today, but is there anything else that should be checked over (other then pully's) that a snapped belt may have damaged (ie. Water pump), etc etc...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

check it hasn't wrapped under or hit the crank angle sensor.. If the belt splinters and goes in behind the harmonic balancer it can damge the crank angle sensor

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I was lucky ... I found the ute was slightly overheating under load ... found it was due to the bearing failling in the water pump ... pully was not spinning freely. Also noticed a little bit of rubber wear on the serpentine belt.

I didn't really notice the overheating until recently with the hotter weather ... just cruising around though it was running at normal temp ... but the fans were always opn high speed though.

Best to see if there's any excess movement in any of the pulleys (an early sign of bearing failure.

New water pump and it's running better than ever ... as I am presuming that the old one was causing a drag effect on the serpentine belt ... also the "whirring" sound (and also similar feeling through the pedals) has not gone ... and the engine feels more responsive as well.

That was my case though .... oh and this is at 190,000km only (still original water pump too)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 02:51 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well, he has just had the car looked at now, and the mechanic is stumpped. He has replaced the belt, but now the car will not turn on. All the lights come on the dash, but it's almost as if it has an imobiliser (which it doesn't). It just won't kick... why would this be the case...

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 17-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Earthing problem ... or as mentioned crank angle sensor could be damaged ... have heard this can be an issue with vehicle not starting.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

$868 later... new idle pulley assembly, new idle pulleys, new belt, new kncok sensor, new crank angle sensor, another sensor, wiring for the sensors (pulley cut through them when it flew off), a new belt and labour.

Above cost does not include two tow truck trips, and the mechanic left it with an empty tank of fuel....

The above was the result of the idle tensioner pulley bearing seising up, which resulted in the pulley being twisted off the bearing runners, and flying off into some electic wiring.

Moral of the story - if your car makes a noise - get it checked - if the noise gets worse, try and not drive it....

Old 19-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

ima get my belt changed, have noticed bery small cracks in it lately.
Old 19-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

small cracks are fine mate.. they are meant to have small cracks... its because they bend back and forth.. its perfectly normal

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #9
IanC

Don't wait for the belt to give trouble. Change it every 3 years and do all the coolant hoses at the same time. Save you an awful lot of hassles.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post