Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wiring question??

As the title states I have a question about the AU wiring. As I am fitting a 2001 Series 2 Fairlane dash, motor and interior to my 2002 Series 3 wagon I have a question.

The rear doors currently are manual. The fairlane doors are electric. Will I be able to use my current floor loom? Or will I have to get a high series loom?

I asked if a high series loom ie series 2 fairmont wagon was available from ford and to my astonishment it is at $240+

Should I buy this and swap it over? Or will I not need to.

Anyone who has converted a low series AU 2/3 to a High Series who has come across this before and can shed some light as when it comes to wiring I am about as smart as a rock.

Thanks in advance,
Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wiring question??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
I asked if a high series loom ie series 2 fairmont wagon was available from ford and to my astonishment it is at $240+
I got quoted a similar amount when I asked for wiring for the rear passenger courtesy lamp (above the console - there's a black plastic insert which you can punch out and replace with a lens)... but you can't just buy two bits of wire and a globe holder that magically plug in somewhere under the dash, you have to buy the entire loom.

Others may know for sure but chances are that if there exists a "high series" loom it's unlikely your existing mid/low series one will have unused wiring included.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the topic of having to buy 95% to get the 5% I remember another whopper... I wanted a lens for a numberplate light, but Ford could only sell me the entire lamp and plate surround assembly for a cool $250 or so. O_O For what is probably a 50c part. o_O At least the guy behind the counter suggested I might be able to grab one at the wreckers.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

I wouldn't think you would have the wiring, but it you very well may.

When I did the low to high series dash conversion, I came across some weird things when searching for wiring in pick-a-part. So have a look and go from there.

If you can't buy a cross car loom for a reasonable price, you can make one pretty easily. Grab another loom from a car at a wreckers (low will do), unwrap both looms and pick and pinch wire's and pins to make what you want.
I have bits from 3 different cross car looms (4 if you count all the pins) in my ute. But that was because I wanted specific wire colours in mine (close to factory)

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the loom you mean. I had previously made my own loom in this car to cater for the courtesy light at the back of the center console and the footwell lights in the front.

I am happy to try make up my own loom however, since i need to sort it out to handle electric drivers seat, power windows and also the courtesy lights I was wondering if I could swap the entire loom making the job easier?

I do have the looms needed to do this as I have saved a series 1 forte sedan floor cross loom and I still have the complete loom in the 2001 Fairlane Ghia and the 1999 Fairmont Ghia so I have options when it comes to making my own. I was simply hoping for an easier option. Furthermore I have a copy of the complete ford service for the AU with detailed breakdown of pins and wires in all plugs and connectors.

My problem is I have trouble interpreting this but I could easily within my abilities swap the entire loom over. Just not sure if I should bother paying for it and taking the gamble or not?

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I looked at this briefly when looking at door trims. Like you I have manual rear windows. From what I found out is it best/easiest to swap out the old loom and put in the 'correct' one. Too hard for me so I left the door trims as standard and got my neoprene seat covers instead. As you already have the loom I would go that path. Has to be the simplest way.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post