Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Yep! Another AU I6 Miss Fire Thread

My AU3 Fairmont I6 has developed a missfire when anymore than a quarter throttle is applied. It just doesn't rev smoothly and hesitates right through the rev range. When cruising it drives perfectly.
I've changed the coil pack, spark plugs and leads, fuel filter, 02 sensor and checked the t/b and intake to make sure it was clean and the problem is still present.
Does anyone know what could be causing the problem?
Thanks

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Yep! Another AU I6 Miss Fire Thread

Map sensor could cause this. Have you tested it
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Was it ACA brand coil pack? I had a similar issue to this with a faulty ACA brand coil pack. Every time you had to get on the accelerator quickly it'd hesitate, apply smoothy and slowly no probs. Changed it to a Bosch brand no problems now running fantastic.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
BlacklistedXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Falcon XR6
Map sensor could cause this. Have you tested it
Na I haven't. How can I test it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHenry
Was it ACA brand coil pack? I had a similar issue to this with a faulty ACA brand coil pack. Every time you had to get on the accelerator quickly it'd hesitate, apply smoothy and slowly no probs. Changed it to a Bosch brand no problems now running fantastic.
I replaced it with an aftermarket one (can't remember what brand it was) and that didn't fix it so I changed it again to a second hand genuine one that I had laying around and the problem was still there.

AU3 Fairmont I6
Whiteline swaybars, FPV Typhoon Rims, Superlows, Custom Intake Piping, Modified BA XR8 Airbox, Big Stereo

Past:
2001 AU2 XR8 220 Manual
1/4 Mile: 13.8 @ 100MPH (161km/h)

Ford Falcon AU2 V8 Auto
1/4 Mile: 13.0 @ 107MPH (172km/h)
BlacklistedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Any smoke at all?
Sounds like a fueling problem, perhaps the TPS, fuel reg, or a weak pump.
The TPS can be checked easily with a voltmeter, just have the key on and measure the voltage output on the orange/black wire (I think - if not it'll be the green/black one). Should range between 0.7 to 5v. A couple of points either way is fine, but should change smoothly as you open the throttle.
Fuel reg or pump - requires a pressure tester inserted into the line.