Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Aux input to factory radio via mobile wires?

I dont have a cd slot in the head unit because I have the 6 stacker and I cant believe how expensive the cd player head units are so I cant do the blank cd trick which has already been discovered for mp3 input. However, couldnt I just solder onto the mobile phone audio wires and run an mp3 player into it? Meaning that when the mp3 player is turned on, it should automatically go to phone and amplify and run the songs flawlessly? Does phone audio only go to 1 or 2 speakers or the whole lot? Any help would be good.

Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not sure if this would work, but sounds like a starting point. As an alternative, there's an old thread in the audio section that shows how to add aux input to an AU deck - it involves pulling the deck apart, but is pretty much step by step. (Sorry, you'll have to do a search to find it)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive seen that other thread but you need to have the cd deck to do it that way, Ive got the 6 stacker under the passenger seat and only have the radio/cassette head unit
Old 08-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Ive seen that other thread but you need to have the cd deck to do it that way, Ive got the 6 stacker under the passenger seat and only have the radio/cassette head unit
Have you tried using one of the old tape adaptor kits for input - they came out last century when cars still had casette decks and discmans were new.

Other option is FM modulator. I have 2 lying around somewhere if you want to give one a go - yours if you want it - I'll even throw in the postage. They work well enough, and if you play MP3s you won't even notice any loss of sound quality (seeing as how MP3 is already compromised sound wise).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest I havent tried either of those methods because Ive heard the FM things sound really bad and I didnt want it to be as messy as a cassette would be but if the FM things are OK I might buy one and wire it in behind the dash somewhere
Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
DougM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Have you tried using one of the old tape adaptor kits for input - they came out last century when cars still had casette decks and discmans were new.

Other option is FM modulator. I have 2 lying around somewhere if you want to give one a go - yours if you want it - I'll even throw in the postage. They work well enough, and if you play MP3s you won't even notice any loss of sound quality (seeing as how MP3 is already compromised sound wise).
I use the casette adapter....It works great......$29.95 at Tandy electronics!!!

It's much better than the FM modulator......
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
parker

Default Re: Aux input to factory radio via mobile wires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Not sure if this would work, but sounds like a starting point. As an alternative, there's an old thread in the audio section that shows how to add aux input to an AU deck - it involves pulling the deck apart, but is pretty much step by step. (Sorry, you'll have to do a search to find it)
Can't find that thread at all... is anyone able to dig it up for me please?
Ta!
parker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=input
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Using the phone input would be possible, but it would only be mono, not stereo.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
parker

Thanks for the link!
Unfortunately my cd player doesn't play, so that method is screwed.
I don't really mind if the phone input is mono. If I hit the mute line with 12v the radio says "tel", but I didn't leave it like that in case it's not meant to be that voltage.
Also didn't know how to supply the signal.
parker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post