Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help needed - cruise control

AU 111 XR6

A few weeks back I was driving around town (Darwin). I regularly use the C/C so I don't have to worry about speed creep. Suddenly the C/C would engage but not set. I did some checking through old threads and found several with cures for my ailment.

There are no LED lights fitted and brake lights are working.

Replaced the brake switch under the pedal with no change.

Am I remembering rightly that there is also a switch under the clutch pedal and does anyone know if it is the same as the brake switch.

I'm sorry but I am damned if I can find the original thread I was reading. Can someone please help with some more ideas. I'm not sure if this is related but my ABS light comes on at the dash and I have no ABS brakes. It is not essential to me as I was a defensive driving instructor.

Cheers and thanks

Vincenzo

Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help needed - cruise control

I'm 90% sure the switch for the clutch is different to the brake switch. As for if the abs and cruise are linked I can't answer. that for you. You could always pull out the cruise control module and check it is operating manually as if may have died (the motor in it itself)hence it is not able to engage?

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Check your brake lights for blown bulbs then the brake light circuit for a blown fuse. Don't ask me why but when you blow a brake light the CC stops setting.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

It should be brake light out, usually does it. Unfortunately I didnt know this the first time and got frustrated and broke the cruise control buttons off before realising why....
Old 14-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
xf84
CAN roadtrip!!

Check and/or replace the brake pressure switch located on the brake booster.

Fo the time being, unplugging it will have the same effect as it being 'off'. Try that first. The cruise has nothing to do with ABS.

Failing that, check the clutch pedal is depressed. If you think the switch is faulty, disconnect the switch from loom, and put a paperclip or similar in the connector to short it out and try again
The Cruiser - '73 XB Fairmont Coupe - 351 Clevo, C10, XC 9".
xf84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

The brake pressure switch has caused a problem on my NL before (same cruise control as AU). Replaced it and all was fine.

Good luck
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks to those who took the time to answer.

Will let you know how I get on

Cheers Vincenzo
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post