Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #1411
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

I've just started a new job after a long time on the dole, not much but it's letterbox delivery @ $17 per hour, not complaining it gives me a sense of responsibility. We get a 20 minute break after two hours. I'm 47 and would like to catch up with what the other folk I work with are doing with their lives/family etcetera. Nope, they jump on their smartphones and do whatever their doing. FMD I feel like an alien. A phone to me is just that, calls, texts and the occasional photo.

Maybe I'm too old, but ffs what happened to conversation!

I ban text when I'm with my 17 & 20 year old daughters - that can wait until after lunch/dinner.

I've noticed on the train home the last few days that everyone young and old has an electronic device in their claws - I just look out the window.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man that needs to get with the times!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #1412
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, the only thing wrong with letter box deliver it doesn't keep you off the streets!!!
A mate of mine was doing the same thing delivering Kmart pamphlets,called his
job Promational Manager for Kmart.
Agree with you about the Phones.
I can call myself GRUMPY OLD MAN as I am 75!!!
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #1413
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Mate don't worry I'm 26 and use my phone for the basics, find it quite rude when you're speaking to people who are on their phone. I guess there are those that were raised with manners and others who have forgotten what that is!!

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #1414
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with you both. The phone focus is rudeness much of the time.
Watching 2 young blokes sitting facing each other on the train the other day. One goes straight to his phone, the other eventually follows suit as there is now nobody to chat with. They are hunched over so engrossed in their screens, their heads are touching. How odd.

I'm surprised there are not more pedestrian deaths. Everyones walking around looking at a phone or wired for sound and not concentrating on their surroundings. People at bus-stops, on median strips, at school crossings - they are so unaware, that any slight upset in the close moving traffic could result in death simply because they are not watching and listening. They'd be mowed over before they had a chance to finish logging on to instagram.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #1415
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I've just started a new job after a long time on the dole, not much but it's letterbox delivery @ $17 per hour, not complaining it gives me a sense of responsibility. We get a 20 minute break after two hours. I'm 47 and would like to catch up with what the other folk I work with are doing with their lives/family etcetera. Nope, they jump on their smartphones and do whatever their doing. FMD I feel like an alien. A phone to me is just that, calls, texts and the occasional photo.

Maybe I'm too old, but ffs what happened to conversation!

I ban text when I'm with my 17 & 20 year old daughters - that can wait until after lunch/dinner.

I've noticed on the train home the last few days that everyone young and old has an electronic device in their claws - I just look out the window.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man that needs to get with the times!

Cheers!

When I started working every one at lunch was reading a newspaper. On the train everyone was reading newspapers or magazines. Now we can do that on our phones or tablets. So that's what's done. Why do you need to sit there talking the whole time? Personally I can't stand some of the blokes I work with and anytime reading this forum rather than listening to them is a good lunch break. Matter of fact that's what's happening now
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #1416
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
When I started working every one at lunch was reading a newspaper. On the train everyone was reading newspapers or magazines. Now we can do that on our phones or tablets. So that's what's done. Why do you need to sit there talking the whole time? Personally I can't stand some of the blokes I work with and anytime reading this forum rather than listening to them is a good lunch break. Matter of fact that's what's happening now
I used to get the 6AM train in to Melbourne on the Bendigo line during my apprenticeship for TAFE at Docklands.

Most of the people on there were white collar middle aged people plugging away on laptops doing spread sheets/word documents, or catching up on some series with their iPads, some were sleeping.

I envy middle aged people who can sleep anywhere at any time lol.

I bought a Nintendo 3DS for train duties, busting out some early morning gaming on the way to school lol.

Phone reception was too patchy on the train lol.

The lunch room at work was a good one, we had two lunch rooms and two separate toolbox meetings because lots of us didn't get along with each other, and even in your group people would still rather sit in silence and eat rather than talk.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #1417
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cordless phones that have a battery life that is not as long as the time that a government department puts you on hold for...
Old 02-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #1418
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"sweet - page"......what a nasty bloody virus.........had Nanna's laptop back for half an hour, it immediately installed 23 "update's", one of which was this bloody virus despite having Norton anti virus installed.

it's a mongrel this one......

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #1419
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
"sweet - page"......what a nasty bloody virus.........had Nanna's laptop back for half an hour, it immediately installed 23 "update's", one of which was this bloody virus despite having Norton anti virus installed.

There's your problem there poppa, get rid of that and find something else. I use AVG Anti Virus however from what I keep reading there are better.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #1420
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep! I reckon you're right, it didn't find this "sweet page", I tried quite a few other programs but they couldn't find it either.

I went into "regedit" and kicked out all that I could see but it was implanted everywhere, ended up trying spy hunter and that found it, so I bought it.

only to find that I could have pinched it off youtube, never mind, you get that.......it's gone now.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:38 PM   #1421
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
hah!...........mate I'll build the desk, chair, build the house, lay the carpet or tiles but computers just leave me cold.

I've got a tower, keyboard, mouse and LCD monitor stuffed under the desk from around 3 or 4 years ago that got dust ingress and blew up the motherboard, I've often looked at it and thought "maybe"..........but then I go and find something else to do, doesn't matter what it is.
Sorry to dig an old comment but 225 DOLLARS LABOUR!?!??!?!?!?!?! Mate, you can send the computer to me, pay me to do it, pay to have it sent back and it would still cost you less. Do you wanna know how hard it is to change your graphics card especially if you're replacing it with the exact same card? Think of it as simple as taking out the trash.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM   #1422
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ebay sellers that don't communicate once the auction has ended. I've had 3 in the last 3 weeks. They demand payment within 24 or 48 hrs but don't have the courtesy to email back confirmation of payment or that the item has been posted or a tracking number etc. or they don't send the item in the first place. The first one I had to open a dispute and get my money back, the second made excuses and tried to blame me for not complaining sooner after I complained, after nearly 2 weeks of waiting, and the third has now not made contact after 3 days on a $250 laptop when I payed less than an hour after the end of the auction.

While I'm at it, Ebays conflict resolution policies. I ended up leaving a neutral feedback for seller 2 after my item finally turned up 3 weeks late so he complained to Ebay because I said there was no initial communication. But, because there was a string of 4 or 5 emails between us AFTER I complained, Ebay deemed my feedback was untrue and pulled it without even bothering to contact me and get my side of the story. When I then complained to Ebay about their decision without hearing my side, I just got a form letter saying it was within their policy criteria and then they wouldn't enter into any more correspondence over it.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR................

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #1423
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
There's your problem there poppa, get rid of that and find something else. I use AVG Anti Virus however from what I keep reading there are better.
Ditch Norton, it is too resource hungry, you'll need the Norton removal tool to completely get rid of it and then download Avast Pro.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #1424
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I use windows defender that comes with my windows install and never had a problem, Norton is extremely resource hungry like NTF6 said.

I personally don't understand the high need for aftermarket anti virus as windows defender seems to do fine, especially with me on all the torrent and less than shady websites....

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #1425
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah!.....I downloaded and installed windows defender but it never found this "sweet - page"

I've noticed my trouble and strifes subscription to Norton runs until the 5th of next year so I'll let it sit on her computer until then but I wont trust it nor renew it.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #1426
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I have Avast Internet security. I paid $99 for 3 licences for 2 years IIRC. This is my second time round with Avast and I've not had an issue in all that time.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #1427
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Free anti virus downloads - you get what you pay for. A few years ago my old computer got attacked by a trojan horse virus which killed it. But it was due for replacement anyway, being 8 years old.
So now I use Trend micro titanium, much better than the Norton that came with this current machine. Works quietly in the background.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #1428
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for what it is worth, I don't and have never used any Anti Virus software. Back in 1996 I got the Merry Christmas Virus. After you turned on the machine there was a Gif on screen and once it had done it's thing it deleted itself.

Cheers Vincenzo -

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #1429
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
for what it is worth, I don't and have never used any Anti Virus software. Back in 1996 I got the Merry Christmas Virus. After you turned on the machine there was a Gif on screen and once it had done it's thing it deleted itself.
From what you tell us there wouldn't be a virus that's game enough to go into your neighbourhood!!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #1430
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inbred truck drivers who think that their hazard lights also function as a brake pedal for every other motorist and that by turning them on it automatically allows them to drive where and how they like and forces all other traffic to come to a stop while they complete their maneuvering.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:12 AM   #1431
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
From what you tell us there wouldn't be a virus that's game enough to go into your neighbourhood!!
Best response I've read in a long time - fell off the chair laughing

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #1432
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morexbs View Post
Inbred truck drivers who think that their hazard lights also function as a brake pedal for every other motorist and that by turning them on it automatically allows them to drive where and how they like and forces all other traffic to come to a stop while they complete their maneuvering.
you're forgetting size matters
Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #1433
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Looking through the comments section in car adds only to find these details about the car:

We are a family owned sales yard...... blah blah blah... 20 minutes from the airport... blah blah blah... we also do trade ins... blah blah blah... come talk to us about finance.. blah blah blah.... we can come to you.. blah blah blah... over 50 new and used cars blah blah blah.. call our friendly staff ...blah blah blah...

And NOTHING about the car being advertised...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #1434
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I agree with you both. The phone focus is rudeness much of the time.
Watching 2 young blokes sitting facing each other on the train the other day. One goes straight to his phone, the other eventually follows suit as there is now nobody to chat with. They are hunched over so engrossed in their screens, their heads are touching. How odd.

I'm surprised there are not more pedestrian deaths. Everyones walking around looking at a phone or wired for sound and not concentrating on their surroundings. People at bus-stops, on median strips, at school crossings - they are so unaware, that any slight upset in the close moving traffic could result in death simply because they are not watching and listening. They'd be mowed over before they had a chance to finish logging on to instagram.
Yes it seems the art of conversation is a dying one, you even see dudes having a conversation sometimes face to face ............. on rare occasions .............. and one dude will say something amusing to the other , and others response is LOL , like hes posting on a forum or something, what a funny old world we live in.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #1435
Juan Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
Poor transport planning to major events in your city.

Exiting failures at newly installed paid parking areas.
Poor Transport Planning.
WHY do they always build the roads big enough for last year?
14~15 years ago the WA govt finally got around to building the North Perth bypass, after resuming the land decades earlier and then changing the plan every few years, they finally decided on a tunnel, built as a capped trench.

Once complete, they covered it all up and sold of the land on top.

Now obviously this is something that can never be widened. I mean never.
To do so would mean resuming all the land again, demolishing the buildings, digging it up and practically starting from scratch.

This bypass connects the MAJOR north-south freeway with the Polly Farmer freeway which is supposed to be the major inlet from the South-East.
So how many lanes did they make it? 4 with room to expand?
Nope, two lanes. It reached capacity about an hour after they opened it.
They have recently done away with the emergency lane to squeeze in a 3rd lane, so tough luck if there's an accident in the middle.

I know its easy to say that roads and bridges etc are never built wide enough for the future, but surely in a case where expansion is so limited they really should have planned ahead?
Juan Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #1436
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Loco View Post
Poor Transport Planning.
WHY do they always build the roads big enough for last year?
14~15 years ago the WA govt finally got around to building the North Perth bypass, after resuming the land decades earlier and then changing the plan every few years, they finally decided on a tunnel, built as a capped trench.

Once complete, they covered it all up and sold of the land on top.

Now obviously this is something that can never be widened. I mean never.
To do so would mean resuming all the land again, demolishing the buildings, digging it up and practically starting from scratch.

This bypass connects the MAJOR north-south freeway with the Polly Farmer freeway which is supposed to be the major inlet from the South-East.
So how many lanes did they make it? 4 with room to expand?
Nope, two lanes. It reached capacity about an hour after they opened it.
They have recently done away with the emergency lane to squeeze in a 3rd lane, so tough luck if there's an accident in the middle.

I know its easy to say that roads and bridges etc are never built wide enough for the future, but surely in a case where expansion is so limited they really should have planned ahead?
i think pollies only think as far as the next election, and as long as they are seen to be doing ...... something.............. they see it as a vote getter,
even if its very short sighted or poorly implemented, but this is how it is.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #1437
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Yes it seems the art of conversation is a dying one, you even see dudes having a conversation sometimes face to face ............. on rare occasions .............. and one dude will say something amusing to the other , and others response is LOL , like hes posting on a forum or something, what a funny old world we live in.
A lot of people say lol when they don't find it that funny, and it's more sarcastic than an actual display of humour.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #1438
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leaf blowers and Robert Doyle.
Old 20-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #1439
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my ******* past coming along chomping my head off like the ***** it is!!!!!!!
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #1440
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been stewing on this bugger for a fortnight now.

A few months back I had arranged to drive my mother 5 hours to regional NSW to visit my sister (no big deal its what you do for family and I'm happy to do it) it turned out the weekend my mum had planed was the AFL grand final weekend and as my sister and her partner are mad Swans fans they had organised tickets and wanted to head to Melbourne got the game.

I figured that was fair enough so the suggestion was to go the following weekend but being the long weekend I had already booked that up.

So being the nice big brother that I am I agreed to give up my Bathurst weekend to drive down Saturday and back Sunday, under the condition that I was allowed to dominate the TV for the shoot out on Saturday and the start on Sunday.

So when I was offered box passes again for my son and I had to decline as I had already committed myself else ware

That all seemed pretty fair I thought.

So I got to my sisters at 3pm and my 5yo Nephew meets me at the door with the remote and a drink (hes a good kid ) and all's well

So we get down to talking and I asked how the big trip to Melbourne went and said something like even though the swans didn't get up it still would have been good to experience the atmosphere.

to which I'm told, Na we didn't end up going we decided it would cost more than we were prepared to spend so we staid home and watched it on TV

Now I'm a reasonable man and I retained my composure but seriously inside I said WTF

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post